Adding someone elses .lvl files to a map!

Started by Dresh, April 21, 2009, 01:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
As most of you know I added Ryanoceros All Troops Fly mod sides to a Mos Eisley map.  The_Pi has told you how to do it. And i said I'd make a step by step example...so here it is.  I will be assuming you know what stuff like bfbuilder is and are familiar with the basics of it!

1. The first thing you're gonna have to do is make a new project in BFBuilder pro (project - new project)

For the one I made with Ryanoceros sides I called it MOS EISLEY: UTTER CHAOS (I always make the titles capitals to fit in with the shipped maps) and gave it the Mod Id of: utc1.  I created this for both CW and GCW.  Click on create new world and make all the necessary directories.

2. This bit is pretty much just a copy and pasting exercise!  Navigate to \BFBuilder\Assets\Shipped Worlds\Tatooine. You will see tat1 and tat2 files, Mos Eisley is all the tat2 ones. But for ease just select everything and copy them (don't cut, just copy).  The next thing to do is navigate to the modid folder that was created in step 1 (in this example Datautc1) - \BFBuilder\Datautc1\Worlds\utc1 to be exact.  You'll notice pretty much the same structure as in the Tatooine folder a min ago. Go ahead and paste everything in there!

3. Those files you just pasted will probably be all 'read only' which we need to change.  I just jump up a folder to \BFBuilder\Datautc1\Worlds right click on the utc1 folder and uncheck the read only box. (I use a PC but I'm sure you will know how to change this on a mac). OK, head back to the folder you were in a min ago - \BFBuilder\Datautc1\Worlds\utc1

4. We need to change a few names here.  In that folder you will see a file called utc1.req go ahead and delete it (while you are at it you can delete the tat1 files in there too and the world1 folder to boot).  BFbuilder will be looking for that utc1.req file so rename the tat2.req file to become the new utc1.req.  All the files associated with the map are in the world2 folder so we need to rename that folder to become world1. If you were to munge at this point you'd get pretty much the Mos Eisley map that comes with the game.

5. We are going to be using the .lvl files that Ryanoceros created instead of the normal sides so the next thing we need to do is edit the mission LUA. In BFbuilder pro click on Edit. We will need to edit both the GCW Mission LUA and the CW Mission LUA. Click on the GCW one first.  The bit we will be changing is the -- Start sidelvls section.  We need to tell the map to use the files we will be using instead of the shipped ones. Look for "SIDE\\all.lvl" and change to "dc:SIDE\\all.lvl" do the same with "SIDE\\imp.lvl". Save and close!

6. Repeat step 5 for CW Mission LUA and change "SIDE\\cis.lvl" and "SIDE\\rep.lvl" to "dc:SIDE\\cis.lvl" and "dc:SIDE\\rep.lvl" respectively. Save and close.  All we are basically doing here is telling the map to use the sides we will be adding instead of the shipped ones.

7. Clean and Munge (I know you don't really need to clean this time but its good practice to always clean first!)

We now have a Mos Eisley map but we have still to add the sides. Again it's just a bit of copy and paste!

8. In \BFBuilder\AddOn you should see the munged map (utc1).  Go into that folder all the way to here: \BFBuilder\AddOn\utc1\Data\_lvl_pc.  You will see 4 folders and 2 files. Create another folder called 'Side'. Once that is done all we need to do is copy the .lvl files Ryanoceros made into that folder, not all the .lvl files just the 4 we need - all.lvl, imp.lvl, rep.lvl & cis.lvl!

9. This will play fine in single player. To make it playable online we want to add a text file called mapinfo.txt in the utc1 folder with the following lines:

GCW,MOS EISLEY: UTTER CHAOS GCW,utc1a,alliance,imperial,200,200
CW,MOS EISLEY: UTTER CHAOS CW,utc1c,CIS,republic,200,200

It is that easy! Takes just about the same amount of time to read as it does to do!