[TUT] Adding Water

Started by Snake, April 02, 2010, 09:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 02, 2010, 09:09:29 AM Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:57:17 PM by Snake
Adding Water (Different Methods)
By Jawa Killer, Dragonum and Rippentuck
This is also @ http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24738#p24738
For this tutorial I will use the water of Kashyyyk: Docks (kas2).Of course it can be other maps used as the base file.

Ok, at first you have to open your modid.req data (DataModID/worlds/ModID.req). Here you have to set your water textures!
Search down the column for:

REQN {
"texture"
"platform=pc"

and just put this part of kas2.req (Assets/Shipped Worlds/Kashyyyk) in:

(ATTENTION!!!!!! DON'T COPY THE TEXT BELOW! COPY IT FROM kas2.req BECAUSE ALL MUST BE IN THE RIGHT ORDER!!!!!!)

"water_bumpmap_0"
"water_bumpmap_1"
"water_bumpmap_2"
"water_bumpmap_3"
"water_bumpmap_4"
"water_bumpmap_5"
"water_bumpmap_6"
"water_bumpmap_7"
"water_bumpmap_8"
"water_bumpmap_9"
"water_bumpmap_10"
"water_bumpmap_11"
"water_bumpmap_12"
"water_bumpmap_13"
"water_bumpmap_14"
"water_bumpmap_15"

"water_normalmap_0"
"water_normalmap_1"
"water_normalmap_2"
"water_normalmap_3"
"water_normalmap_4"
"water_normalmap_5"
"water_normalmap_6"
"water_normalmap_7"
"water_normalmap_8"
"water_normalmap_9"
"water_normalmap_10"
"water_normalmap_11"
"water_normalmap_12"
"water_normalmap_13"
"water_normalmap_14"
"water_normalmap_15"

"water_specularmask_0"
"water_specularmask_1"
"water_specularmask_2"
"water_specularmask_3"
"water_specularmask_4"
"water_specularmask_5"
"water_specularmask_6"
"water_specularmask_7"
"water_specularmask_8"
"water_specularmask_9"
"water_specularmask_10"
"water_specularmask_11"
"water_specularmask_12"
"water_specularmask_13"
"water_specularmask_14"
"water_specularmask_15"
"water_specularmask_16"
"water_specularmask_17"
"water_specularmask_18"
"water_specularmask_19"
"water_specularmask_20"
"water_specularmask_21"
"water_specularmask_22"
"water_specularmask_23"
"water_specularmask_24"

Ok. Then scroll down to this section:

REQN {
"envfx"
-- "ModID"
}

This section calls the envfx (environment effects) and is called ModID.fx which has not been created at this time. So what to do??
Right! We need another .fx file to know what it does. We took Kashyyyk as the sample map so we have to go in the world folder of Kashyyyk (Assets/Shipped Worlds/Kashyyyk/World2)
and search for the kas2.fx file...got it? Ok, open it and look at what it does. If you don't understand, no problem. It's not necessary for now.
We don't have to change anything in this file, so we can just copy it into our world folder. But we aren't finish just yet.
You have this file in your folder and have to rename it because your ModID is not kas2 right? Rename the kas2.fx into ModID.fx.
Ok! Now open ModID.fx and scroll down to this section:

PC()
{
Tile(2.0,2.0);
MainTexture("kas2_water.tga");
LODDecimation(1);
RefractionColor(5, 217, 255, 255);
ReflectionColor(57,90,138,255);
UnderwaterColor(61, 124, 144, 128);
FresnelMinMax(0.3,0.6);
FarSceneRange(1500)

The file needs a texture called kas2_water.tga!
Now go to the Kashyyyk world folder and search for this .tga and copy it into your world folder!
Ok before you can say "YES! I GOT IT!", we have to copy the other necessary files!
Go to assets/shipped worlds/kashyyyk/effects and take all files with "water" in its name except waterspout.fx. For example these files:

water_specularmask_15.tga
water_normalmap_14.tga
water_normalmap_13.tga.option

Ok? ALL FILES ARE GOLDEN! Now you have to place your water using ZeroEdit:

1. Click on the section Water between Texture and Foliage
2. You see on the left side a box with fields to change. Make these changes:
width = "1" and depth = "1"
Layer = "1"
u vel = "0.02" and v vel = "0.02" (This helps to modify it for waves, if required)
u rept = "1" and v rept = "1"
texture = blank (Don't fill anything in there)
color = 0, 0, 200
alpha = 255 (Alpha is the transparency of the water. 0 = Invisible, 255 = Completely Visible)
glow = off
Add water as you would terrain or texture. Save world, munge and try it out!

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

If you need to use tutorials from Gametoast, please just link to the tutorials. Don't copy them wholesale. Thanks.

???? I got them from a tutorial on swbffiles i think...Chill  :confused:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 02, 2010, 10:07:07 AM #3 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:10:33 AM by Maveritchell
Quote from: Snake on April 02, 2010, 09:53:52 AM
???? I got them from a tutorial on swbffiles i think...Chill  :confused:
It's a direct copy of a post from Gametoast:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24738#p24738

I'm not asking where you got it, I'm simply asking that you don't do this in the future. Even if you got it from SWBFFiles, that doesn't change the fact that you simply shouldn't repost it - you weren't the original creator and you really have no right to its content.

Actually..I asked JK if it was ok that I do this. He said it was fine since I'm NOT taking any credit, I just posted this for others to see.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 02, 2010, 01:15:44 PM #5 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:22:26 PM by ag
Hey Snake,

Thanks for helping out but Mav is right, this originated from Gametoast and you don't have permission to copy it here, even though you got it from swbffiles and you are not taking credit. Next time, link to GameToast, seeing how the original copy is still there. If an event where it is no longer avilable there, feel free to copy it here, however you must source it to the original author/location.

I understand your good intent, so I'm not blaming you for anything, this is just a heads-up.
EDIT: I'll discuss this with JK and possibly Mav.

#TYBG

Quote from: ag on April 02, 2010, 01:15:44 PMI understand your good intent
Ditto, I'm not trying to be a bad guy or paint you as one either. As interested as I am in protecting the work done by the GT community, I'm also concerned that context is lost when tutorials are simply reposted. When someone posts a tutorial at GT, often the succeeding comments help to clarify (and in some cases correct) the original tutorial - and this can be lost, making the tutorials in effect incomplete, when they're posted elsewhere.

In this example, I honestly think you're missing out because there's a whole string of clarifications and re-explanations of working with water in the linked topic at GT:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134694#p134694
AceMastermind re-explains Rippentuck's tutorial, which was originally posted concurrently with Dragonum's tutorial (a separate tutorial, translated by JawaKiller). The linked explanation is probably the clearest, and you can also see that Rippentuck's tutorial is actually separate from Dragonum's tutorial.

Quote from: Maveritchell on April 02, 2010, 01:41:08 PM
Ditto, I'm not trying to be a bad guy or paint you as one either. As interested as I am in protecting the work done by the GT community, I'm also concerned that context is lost when tutorials are simply reposted. When someone posts a tutorial at GT, often the succeeding comments help to clarify (and in some cases correct) the original tutorial - and this can be lost, making the tutorials in effect incomplete, when they're posted elsewhere.

In this example, I honestly think you're missing out because there's a whole string of clarifications and re-explanations of working with water in the linked topic at GT:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134694#p134694
AceMastermind re-explains Rippentuck's tutorial, which was originally posted concurrently with Dragonum's tutorial (a separate tutorial, translated by JawaKiller). The linked explanation is probably the clearest, and you can also see that Rippentuck's tutorial is actually separate from Dragonum's tutorial.

Sorry about that, that was towards Snake.

What you are saying is correct Mav, this is the work by the  Gametoast community.

What I'm saying is that there is no need to copy paste everything from Gametoast and swbffiles.

#TYBG

Quote from: ag on April 02, 2010, 01:46:36 PM
Sorry about that, that was towards Snake.
:P So was mine. I know I spend a certain amount of posts here pointing out who really did what, and I just wanted to emphasize that I'm not pointing fingers or singling people out - I'm just looking out for the original authors who are either no longer around or stay only on GT.

I think we're both on the same ground then.

#TYBG

I didn't know it was on gametoast. And I thought I would add this since there are none about adding water here. I'm not copy-and-pasting happy. lolz Oh well, I'll edit it and add the link anyways.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder