GameShare getting closed

Started by Anyder, May 18, 2016, 11:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey Kalle, can you reach out to me over some sort of IM? I've gotten your server up and running on both Windows and Linux, but have a couple questions about your database setup and some problems to resolve.

You can find me on Steam at the link in my profile or you can PM me for other stuff.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

May 19, 2016, 02:33:22 PM #16 Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:57:46 PM by SueKrueger13
would be great if we (the community) could revive the multiplayer in some way. best of luck to anyone who is trying.

CLICK THE IMAGE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE STEAM GUIDE.

May 19, 2016, 07:04:29 PM #17 Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:06:31 PM by Led
Hi Kalle,

Would you be able to help us (Jedikiller) complete the setup of your master server software?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

May 19, 2016, 07:43:25 PM #18 Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:47:16 PM by Ultimo
A conversation from May 02, 2016 on this page: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10369.15

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on May 02, 2016, 04:05:10 PM
That is indeed the sad truth. There will be a day where NOBODY will play it. The only way I'd see of making this delayed is by illegally remaking SWBF to the latest technology with a lot of advertising to get it ahead of EA. But of course the developers would be enjoying their punishment for copyright before that could possibly happen. I think when Phobos' TWD mod begins releasing to the public it'll help keep a few people coming back to see more but when it's ended things will probably die down again. Hell, it's 12 years old, it's had a long lifespan to still be this active.
Quote from: Ultimo on May 02, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
When I said it was doomed to die, I was really only thinking about Multiplayer. I have a feeling Gamemaster won't be staying up forever, either. I don't know enough about the deal with that, but will the owner shut it off if usage continues to drop?
Quote from: Led on May 02, 2016, 05:14:12 PM
Gamemaster also has the support of other games, so  I think it will be a long while.  Additionally, the source code is released, so we can potentially make our own if we needed. 

A game this old doesn't really get new players, but this website will continue as long as I do, which I hope is still a good number of years  ;)
Quote from: Ultimo on May 02, 2016, 08:05:15 PM
Led, i will believe every second of that, and I will be impressed when it happens. :P

I'm actually really glad to see that we can work something out about this situation. I myself don't play SWBF much since I came back, but it's joy to me when I see this community able to come together and have a fun match.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I just have sunday time all the day (german timezone). Just ready when you are to talk a little bit about server problems. Teamviewer prefered for remote hands.

Okay, Jedikiller just spinned up a new virtual machine with Ubuntu 16.04 and I managed to get all the stuff working (after 3 hours)! So he no knows all the neccessary things to run gamemaster for gamespy games at all.

At least we had the following agreements:
- they'll add credits to gameshare.co
- new user database (every user needs to register a new account, for security I won't give them all the current users)
- i will redirect all the hostnames (d.gameshare.me, u.gameshare.me, gamespy.onl) for at least one month to the new IP address so that the games will still work. Only PS2 / hosts file will get a change at all.
- they won't disturb me with requests regarding any kind of problems / bugs / whatever with gamemaster and these tools. They can create a github issue (https://github.com/derkalle4) because gamemaster is open source but I don't know if I will ever have the time to change things.

Thank you for keeping the services online - and good luck in future!

Best regards,
Kalle

Thank you Kalle and your team for getting GameMaster running and for helping JediKiller install it on our own server.  It is truly a technical feat.  On behalf of the end users (players), thank you.

Thank you to JediKiller as well for taking his early Sunday morning to help us out.  He has gone above-and-beyond to help us out.

The new master server has been tested for SWBF and SWBF2 and works well.  Please know that the Gamespy accounts that Kalle mentioned are not necessary to play, but you can make a new account and maybe at some time we can try leader boards and statistics again.

I will make a forum board here for any issues with the new master server.  They are to be brought to my attention and we need to not disturb Kalle.  About the most that I can personally do to fix anything is to reboot the master server, but I think JediKiller is interested in it and may dig around a little if he gets time.

Kalle will start to re-direct the domains to point to the new master server.  At some point soon, we hope to release a new patch and take the opportunity to make a few upgrades to SWBF at the same time.

Please begin to get the word out to SWBF and SWBF2 players that a new patch will be issued in the future and to check SWBFgamers.com for updates.

:cheers:

Quote from: Led on May 22, 2016, 11:04:12 AM
About the most that I can personally do to fix anything is to reboot the master server, but I think JediKiller is interested in it and may dig around a little if he gets time.

At some point soon, we hope to release a new patch and take the opportunity to make a few upgrades to SWBF at the same time.
If for any reason Led is busy, he's granted me access to it in case we require of an instant reboot (who knows, maybe the world ends and Led isnt here to reboot xD)

We're working already on a new patch which will include upgrades for SWBF1 (People in swbf2 dislike this idea for some reason lol). In case someone wants to remove anything, we'll attach a !README note which will explain how to remove specific stuff.  :cheers: :cheers:
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on May 22, 2016, 11:15:52 AM

We're working already on a new patch which will include upgrades for SWBF1 (People in swbf2 dislike this idea for some reason lol). In case someone wants to remove anything, we'll attach a !README note which will explain how to remove specific stuff.  :cheers: :cheers:

And the idea is that if someone does not have the upgrade, they will still play all the old maps without any problem (although they still need to point to the new master server).

Thank you JediKiller and Kalle!!!!
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Yes, much appreciation for taking up this responsibility!
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Excellent work everyone. We all appreciate it.  :tu:
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

This sounds awesome! Thank you Jedikiller, Kalle, and Led for doing all this!

If you guys can get statistics and leaderboards rolling again, though, that'd be sweet. :D

Also Anyder, what did you have in mind for upgrades to SWBF1? Just curious. :)

Quote from: Gold Man on May 22, 2016, 02:23:34 PM
Also Anyder, what did you have in mind for upgrades to SWBF1? Just curious. :)
Will post it here after we gather everything :D
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

The SWBF2 PS2 community wanted me to ask if you would be hosting their master server as well or just PC?
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!