Thoughts on Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Started by Gold Man, December 24, 2013, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'l admit, The Clone Wars did have a lot of inconsistencies with it's canon, such as Boba Fett's blaster being introduced in Season 2 Episode 18, Bounty Hunters, instead of later in the timeline. However, Star Wars' canon hasn't always been precise you could say, they've always had to change stuff and whatnot. I'l admit Clone Wars was a straightway to Episode III, however The Clone Wars dived deeper into the clones themselves, and other characters as well. I guess they might've made The Clone Wars to simply rewrite the original series (which was a very straight forward and determined to give a backstory to Episode III), and actually show that not all clones are directly-obeying troops.

Or of course, they might've made The Clone Wars because LucasFilm needed the money. :P Anyways, I'm not trying to persuade you into saying The Clone Wars was good, but I admit they have had multiple faults within the canon. Despite that though, it's a pretty solid series (and much better than the original Clone Wars in my opinion).

December 27, 2013, 09:48:52 AM #16 Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:01:43 AM by Unit 33
Yes, the whole Star Wars universe teaming with inconsistencies.
That doesn't excuse those present in TCW, the writers should have known better. They're very naughty.

Also Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003) Woooo!

a big thing i disliked about the whole new clone wars was the fact it seemed like the clones never really died that often as opposed to the 2003 series where it was more or less realistic...er....where people were dyin more often than not...which also like in unit 33s gif that was more realistic in terms of the number advantage of the cis to the republic. The real problem the republic was facing was the number shortage of clone troopers although palpatine was secretly making many of them on centax 2 which were deployed during the battle of coruscant...which in the movie it didnt make much sense either because a massive ship crash landed on coruscant and a big war was happening yet in the movie the whole planet seemed as if nothing happened...but im getting off topic here...like take for example when a CIS sniper shot commander rex in the chest...why exactly is his armour so much stronger than ANY other clone because we can see people getting blasted in the stomach and dying where he got shot around the heart area and lived....or on tashi station when that 1 clone was able to get shot like 5 times and still move around...the consistency of it all was pretty bad haha...

Ive only seen a few episodes in the series and while I always had a negative view of the TV series i found it entertaining but nvr got around to watching more.

What really strikes me is that to some all star wars is is the clone wars. But atleast the universe is staying alive.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

December 28, 2013, 09:33:36 PM #19 Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:35:51 PM by St. Nick Fisto
To all those who love the SW canon more than SW itself, you should have known TCW wasn't going to be very courteous to canon lovers.

Just look at the first ever TCW content you saw! The film in '08 had many canon inconsistencies, for example:
When did Anakin have a padawan?!
When did Anakin have a 501st captain?! (Rex)
When did Jabba have a son?! (Rotta)
When did Anakin fight Dooku before Episode III?! (Anakin+Count fought on Tatooine at the end of the movie)
There's probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.

So yes TCW has inconsistencies and if you thought it wouldn't you were kinda fooling yourself from the start. Now before I get flamed when TCW first premiered/aired I was a canon lover who was kinda pissed off but I kept watching it. Now I know that canon isn't the best thing in the world. (Let's be honest post RotJ stories aren't great, except the Trawn trilogy) Now I know that TCW is more Star Wars than even the prequels (at times) and that is why I love it. Clone Wars '03 didn't feel that way for me and that's why I don't like that show.

So saying TCW was bad because of canon inconstancies you best prepare yourself for the coming storm, I don't think canon will be the hugely considered in the upcoming movies and TV shows.

Oh yea and Star Wars Rebels is taking place 4 years before Episode IV so it won't have clone troopers.

:panic:

Edit: SK's new title is a lot more fitting. ;)

December 28, 2013, 09:37:35 PM #20 Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:50:29 PM by 411Remnant
"I don't think canon will be the hugely considered in the upcoming movies and TV shows."

Couldn't have put it better myself. They really want to make a lot of use from this license, doing actual research to avoid inconsistencies is something I think a lot of these people wont do sometimes.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: St. Nick Fisto on December 28, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
To all those who love the SW canon more than SW itself, you should have known TCW wasn't going to be very courteous to canon lovers.

Just look at the first ever TCW content you saw! The film in '08 had many canon inconsistencies, for example:
When did Anakin have a padawan?!
When did Anakin have a 501st captain?! (Rex)
When did Jabba have a son?! (Rotta)
When did Anakin fight Dooku before Episode III?! (Anakin+Count fought on Tatooine at the end of the movie)
There's probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.

So yes TCW has inconsistencies and if you thought it wouldn't you were kinda fooling yourself from the start. Now before I get flamed when TCW first premiered/aired I was a canon lover who was kinda pissed off but I kept watching it. Now I know that canon isn't the best thing in the world. (Let's be honest post RotJ stories aren't great, except the Trawn trilogy) Now I know that TCW is more Star Wars than even the prequels (at times) and that is why I love it. Clone Wars '03 didn't feel that way for me and that's why I don't like that show.

So saying TCW was bad because of canon inconstancies you best prepare yourself for the coming storm, I don't think canon will be the hugely considered in the upcoming movies and TV shows.

Oh yea and Star Wars Rebels is taking place 4 years before Episode IV so it won't have clone troopers.

:panic:

Edit: SK's new title is a lot more fitting. ;)

When did Anakin have a padawan?! she coulda died during order 66 or before episode 3 even happened or even before the 2003 series happened or she coulda left the jedi order as well
When did Anakin have a 501st captain?! (Rex) the 501st is a legion theres probably several captains
When did Jabba have a son?! (Rotta) just because he was never mentioned doesnt mean he didnt exist
When did Anakin fight Dooku before Episode III?! (Anakin+Count fought on Tatooine at the end of the movie) ending of star wars episode 2 the clone wars movie he and obi wan fight count dooku and lose and yoda fights him and loses...ish....

So ya george lucas ruined alot of star wars canon with 1-3 to the point its hard to think about without making me sad inside and it makes me cringe about how 7-9 will be with the whole chosen one no more sith thing happening and or not happening depending on if disney picks and chooses which canon to take from expanded or movie based

Lower your expectations for the new movies and everything will be fine. ;)

Quote from: St. Nick Fisto on December 29, 2013, 02:04:56 PM
Lower your expectations for the new movies and everything will be fine. ;)
But what if I have high expectations?

Things they have going for them.

-Won't be any worse than all the screwed up canon already in place.
-A supposedly good director. (Imagine how well the prequels could've been with one of these?) I have yet to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness myself though.
-Disney haven't dissolved LucasFilm to my knowledge which means the people who know and love will be working on them. Look at what happened with Marvel, a lot of those movies are brilliant.
-Post-modern CGI man. Look at how far visual technology has come. They can create bigger and better battles while maintaining the immersion of the viewer. (Of course if you look for the flaws in CGI you can always find it. The solution is don't look to be disappointed by it and you won't be.)
-George Lucas isn't directing it. No offence to the man intended. He made a great universe. But the directing of the prequels was what let them down the most. (Wait I already mentioned this one didn't I?)

Also I skimmed over the post you were actually replying. The movies supersede all other sources of canon and in my opinion they are all that happened in the SW universe. If something can't stand on it's own, it shouldn't be standing at all. Think about it, take away anything SW from SW:TCW. Just make it another generic Sci-Fi show. Suddenly it's not looking so great is it? I wouldn't have had any interest in it. Neither would any of you.

Comparatively with say SW:KOTOR we would still be left with something great. It would have gotten good reviews and it with the right marketing it still would have sold well. In a way Mass Effect proves this. (Sci-Fi, BioWare game, great story and sold well.)

has anyone seen the new or rather lost episodes of the clone wars on netflix because i need....NEED a conversation about it haha

My goodness I just cannot get back into any of the Clone Wars stuff... i quit after the season in which one episode they crashed on a planet and the natives were like these primative monkey-like beings and Anakin and Aahsoka had to gain the natives trust so they could get help to fix the ship.

Atleast that's what i remember...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

The show does get a bit childish sometimes, but overall as a cartoon it's pretty great. I'm watching Season 4 right now on Netflix and as the series keeps going it just gets better.

I still really love the original Clone wars series though, I'll always remember the episode where Grievous stalks a whole group of Jedi protecting Palpatine and manages to kill all of them.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

the show got really really good and now no more ',,' hopefully rebels will be as good as the ending of the clone wars was because  :censored: that was good.....minus all the inconsistencies it made with the show and the already established EU

I watched the first episode of season six and it got a lot darker than I remember.  I guess they were moving towards that but I can't remember as much as there was in that episode.
It makes it a little more interesting, anyway.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I myself actually watched all 13 Lost Missions episodes from Friday night-Saturday afternoon. :D

I liked the arcs. I was disappointed they left out the Clovis' arc from Season 5, but nonetheless it was still a good arc. The Inhibitor Chip arc was very good as well, but-- hold up, not revealing anything from that arc for those who haven't watched it yet. :P

The Yoda arc at the end was really awkward I'l say, it felt a bit out of place. However, some of these arcs as a whole definitely build up the staging ground for Episode III for sure, due to the much darker, mature background and settings these arcs had. Now I can only hope that Rebels follows in The Clone Wars steps. I just hope that Disney doesn't try to "child-ize" the series for younger viewers, but more so tries to give the series a much more mature background like the Civil War era itself has.

Off topic here, if anyone is looking for a mature cartoon by Disney, look up Tron: Uprising. It was truly an awesome series, shame they cancelled it though, it had so much potential.