OpenSpy how and when to transition?

Started by Led, April 29, 2013, 05:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 29, 2013, 05:16:23 AM Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:23:47 AM by Buckler
I've been tied up all weekend, but have read the last posts about openspy.

The big questions:
-how do we advertise the transition?
-would gamespy shut down openspy?
-has the issue of patched player exe versus host file patcher been resolved?

The advantages:
-maybe allows direct connection again
-maybe allows mac and PC play together again
-can re-unite gameranger and tunngle players

The disadvantages:
-another transition period
-if openspy shuts down, then we are faced with yet another transition

Perhaps there is a way to get the openspy software and host it ourselves?  Bandit has offered to host such a solution when this sort of idea first came up.

What does everyone think?

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I would say hosting a master server ourselves would be our best bet. No matter how strong OpenSpy (Not that I actually know much about it.) can seem one day something in real life can happen and that is the end of that. Before transitioning I would look into the possibility of hosting our own master server so that we can make sure we always have a master server.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 29, 2013, 06:19:15 AM
I would say hosting a master server ourselves would be our best bet. No matter how strong OpenSpy (Not that I actually know much about it.) can seem one day something in real life can happen and that is the end of that. Before transitioning I would look into the possibility of hosting our own master server so that we can make sure we always have a master server.
And how do u wanna get it ?
I doubt ppl wanna pay (even a small number) ...
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

April 29, 2013, 09:24:24 AM #3 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:32:34 AM by -RepublicCommando-
I think hosting a master server ourselves would be a good idea, then you could have a better idea of what to do IF and WHEN OpenSpy goes down... (Nothing lasts forever, don't hate).

I sure wish I had the money to contribute to something that large, it sucks being 14...

And, I do believe another transition (like this option failing, and moving back to tunngle/GR) would complete demolish all that has been saved, but if it works (and we have a master server for backup?) then it could bring back ALOT of old players, because it's much easier with a simple batch file to fix everything.

One question that I have, how will we be able to make our own Openspy/Gamespy master server ? I'll be able to host it as I have access to a dedicated box, so just say the word. But I assume we'll first need to create it, anyone here have the knowledge to code something like Openspy?

I want to bet that they just used the normal bf2 login gamespy emulator to redirect any login requests to gamespy that they host on a machine. I do have that emulator, will test it a bit later tonight and see if my theory is correct.

April 29, 2013, 12:28:59 PM #5 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:07:13 PM by Buckler
Quote from: Anyder on April 29, 2013, 06:28:51 AM
And how do u wanna get it ?
I doubt ppl wanna pay (even a small number) ...

We have hosting resources.  That is not an issue.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Yeah, me too. But what will u use ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Maybe we could take some sort of SWBF Roll Call. Post on all the SWBF websites and clan websites asking all SWBF players to post to show they would be active in the event we make this master server stuff happen. Then we can have an official release date and tell everyone to show up to the first day of the return to SWBF online!

Advertisement methods:

-PM All accounts here
-Post on clan guestbooks (even inactive ones)
-Word of mouth (xfire and stuff)

Idk, just some thoughts.

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 29, 2013, 02:42:49 PM
Maybe we could take some sort of SWBF Roll Call. Post on all the SWBF websites and clan websites asking all SWBF players to post to show they would be active in the event we make this master server stuff happen. Then we can have an official release date and tell everyone to show up to the first day of the return to SWBF online!

Advertisement methods:

-PM All accounts here
-Post on clan guestbooks (even inactive ones)
-Word of mouth (xfire and stuff)

Idk, just some thoughts.

Aside from words, how about some visual? :P I would volunteer to help out in making the posters if we're going to use visual advertisement as well!

do all people that use tunngle and game ranger use this site? maybe put a server up that somehow tells people to come here for the new patch.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

I think setting up servers to tell people and sending a message to everyone on this site may be a good idea. commenting on SWBF vids too and I like the guestbook idea too.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 29, 2013, 02:48:51 PM
Aside from words, how about some visual? :P I would volunteer to help out in making the posters if we're going to use visual advertisement as well!

:o SWBF Propaganda posters! I like it!

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on April 29, 2013, 03:10:55 PM
do all people that use tunngle and game ranger use this site? maybe put a server up that somehow tells people to come here for the new patch.

The servers idea is good too, that will greatly increase the transfer % from GR/Tunngle to OpenSpy.

Another idea: I know we already have lots of server mods but I think we should do some kind of SWBFGamers official mods, downloadable or otherwise. The enhanced version of SWBF online that we could make would draw a lot more people.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 29, 2013, 04:14:12 PM #12 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:17:18 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Well, you'd need to get it all said in 1 single sentence, with a very VERY clear saying, and in some way to really grab someones attention for atleast 5-6 seconds.

Keep the poster says clear and meaning full, and not too bright like an ad for a new game, or too dull like an education promo, don't use any crazy fonts, people tend to not like stuff that is loud.. Even though we REALLY want them here.  And not a boring Arial or Lucada Console font, cause that is just not catchy.

If you use servers to display a message, make sure that whatever you say is VERY to-the-point and as small as will do. People don't stick around to read a paragraph for something when they want to get playing on whatever they're doing.

Posters are a good idea, try not to spam them on every guest book and forum topic you can find though, perhaps just a link to here and the main topic for download/install, and a short saying that MP works again.

We'd want to be very careful on how we handle it if we want to see some REAL results, and not just 5 people coming back into a dull game..
As long as we all work on this together, and orderly, we should see some good results!

Edit-
Lets make sure we are prepared for them to come here, and install and what-not, whatever gets installed needs to have a VERY good ReadMe file that isn't too long (like above examples), I don't know about you, but I can't stand reading long ReadMe files unless it's ABSOLUTELY worth my time, we also don't want a huge download either (if thats possible?), the forum topic needs to have a few good comments in it like  "Wow it actually works!!"  and "Sweet I can play again! :D"
Then most likely lock the topic that way the specific people that view it don't have to go threw all the pages to find out what to do, and all that jazz, again, we got to do this the most professional way possible.

April 29, 2013, 04:35:45 PM #13 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:47:19 PM by Ltin

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 29, 2013, 04:14:12 PM
Well, you'd need to get it all said in 1 single sentence, with a very VERY clear saying, and in some way to really grab someones attention for atleast 5-6 seconds.

Keep the poster says clear and meaning full, and not too bright like an ad for a new game, or too dull like an education promo, don't use any crazy fonts, people tend to not like stuff that is loud.. Even though we REALLY want them here.  And not a boring Arial or Lucada Console font, cause that is just not catchy.

Posters are a good idea, try not to spam them on every guest book and forum topic you can find though, perhaps just a link to here and the main topic for download/install, and a short saying that MP works again.

We'd want to be very careful on how we handle it if we want to see some REAL results, and not just 5 people coming back into a dull game..
As long as we all work on this together, and orderly, we should see some good results!

RC, I don't use boring fonts, I always jazz it up! :D

As for posters, I don't think there's a fine medium between bright n' flashy and dull n' boring. It's usually one or the other. Anyways, I've worked on some World War propaganda posters for History, and I view the regular TV ad and see the odd advertisement poster every day. So to put it short RC, I know how to work visual adverts, the trick is to make them look appealing and make the viewer want what is advertised. And if you have to, usually try and sugarcoat the lies so they look delicious, if you catch my meaning. :P