New way to play SWBFI online? (not Tunngle)

Started by Kit Fisto, April 07, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think this idea would be worth it if it could be a downloadable patch and it's good to see that we're slowly finding a way around the gamespy problem but port forwarding can be complicated especially if some people don't know their router details (although it's usually written on the bottom of the router).
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

April 28, 2013, 02:07:06 PM #61 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:13:56 PM by StoneCold
Quote from: TheWolf on April 28, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
i might make a patch for the exe in the future if this proves worth the time of making one.

I hex edited my exe just now and it's working without the need to modify the hosts file  8)

What version do you guys play ? Version 1.2 / 1.3 ?

Link me the exe you guys use and I'll modify it.

Version 1.2 but it could be worth having a 1.0 version as well?
1.2 : http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/Battlefront.html (in english
-- just say if you need it in another language --

Quote from: StoneCold on April 28, 2013, 02:07:06 PM
I hex edited my exe just now and it's working without the need to modify the hosts file  8)

What version do you guys play ? Version 1.2 / 1.3 ?

Link me the exe you guys use and I'll modify it.
I need to modify 5 exes. The 1.0 1.2 and 1.3 client exe, and the 1.2 and 1.3 dedicated hosting exe. Can u help with those?

Yes I can, it's just a bit late here on my side, need to get some sleep and need to work tomorrow. BUT, put all of them in separate folders, rar them together in another folder and upload them on mediafire or any free file host. If you're not allowed to paste the link here, send it via PM to me :)

April 28, 2013, 04:11:29 PM #65 Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:35:15 AM by Phobos
Quote from: StoneCold on April 28, 2013, 04:00:07 PM
Yes I can, it's just a bit late here on my side, need to get some sleep and need to work tomorrow. BUT, put all of them in separate folders, rar them together in another folder and upload them on mediafire or any free file host. If you're not allowed to paste the link here, send it via PM to me :)
I got my client exe hex edited and I can now see your StoneCold dedi server on Internet MP (it just counts busy though, can't join), also the FC server isn't showing up yet even though I replaced hosts file. If Led is ok with this site hosting a patched 1.2 exe for internet support, I'll upload a modified battlefront.exe for people who can't hex edit. If not then, PM me and I'll send.

I think I have to port forward the NFO server somehow I'll let u know once I figure it out.

Quote from: AnyderI never booted u, I banned u for ignoring the server rules, too bad u dont know them.
You mean it's too bad you cant understand the server rules, as Led said its ok to AFK noname. Abuse of power much. Its ok since ur booted + banned from fc

Quote from: AnyderThe name of SWBFSpy was Wolf's and SleepKiller's idea (independently, though).
Actually this is false. The first time SWBFSpy was ever mentioned was in my post from Sep 2013. Wolf did not suggest the name either as u claim, I did.
Quote from: [FC]Rage on September 04, 2013, 03:48:00 PM
just as the SWBFSpy fix will be for FC to enjoy the game as it was meant to be played.
You're getting worse at copying all my creations btw  i have an even bigger compilation on u.

April 28, 2013, 04:15:52 PM #66 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:26:25 PM by StoneCold
Quote from: Phobos on April 28, 2013, 04:11:29 PM
I got my client exe hex edited and I can now see your StoneCold dedi server on Internet MP (it just counts busy though, can't join), also the FC server isn't showing up yet even though I replaced hosts file. If Led is ok with this site hosting a patched 1.2 exe for internet support, I'll upload a modified battlefront.exe for people who can't hex edit. If not then, PM me and I'll send.

I think I have to port forward the NFO server somehow I'll let u know once I figure it out.

Well it's amazing that you could see my server via the Internet. The thing is, I'm using a router, thus behind a firewall. I did port forward a lot of ports, however, I read elsewhere on these forums that Gamespy didn't take too kindly to servers being hosted behind firewalls, therefore I have the 9999 ping bug and can't join my own server either.

So anyone not behing a firewall should be able to host a server and others then can hopefully join it. :)

PS: Hosting a server via Internet in game does work, so anyone should also be able to join via that as I'm currently playing.

I think we will figure it out soon. I PF the 3 ports u mentioned on the NFO firewall for inbound and outbound but the server still doesn't show up. I might have to completely disable the firewall as you say. I can see wolfs servers now but cant join yet. However it is showing KDR in the  server lobby again  :cheers:

Quote from: Phobos on April 28, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
I think we will figure it out soon. I PF the 3 ports u mentioned on the NFO firewall for inbound and outbound but the server still doesn't show up. I might have to completely disable the firewall as you say. I can see wolfs servers now but cant join yet. However it is showing KDR in the  server lobby again  :cheers:

Yeah, I can see Wolf's server as well, when I try to join it, my game freezes and I must close it via task manager. However, I believe were on the right track with this. Will do some more testing tomorrow, need to get some sleep now  :D

April 28, 2013, 04:45:09 PM #69 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:34:27 PM by Phobos
Quote from: StoneCold on April 28, 2013, 04:42:53 PM
Yeah, I can see Wolf's server as well, when I try to join it, my game freezes and I must close it via task manager. However, I believe were on the right track with this. Will do some more testing tomorrow, need to get some sleep now  :D
I can't join his server either however my game doesn't freeze it just counts busy.  My game freezes (requiring task manager termination) on loading screen when I try to host, I have port forwarded on my PC firewall too so ya idk whats wrong yet.

Update: I tried hexing the server exe too and now it just freezes on "loading", server wont go up. And it stops responding when I click exit, forcing me to close the program. 
Then a random file called gstats.dat appeared in the same folder. I opened in notepad and it says this:
茯롤㩷烳ȁᔔట⼹଺ؗᄘ㔋⽕കᐌ᠟ܗᘂ圕䁑䍇届䅕茯롤㩷烳ȁᔔట⼹଺ؗᄘ㔋⽕കᐌ᠟ܗᘂ圕䁑䍇届䅕茯롤㩷烳ȁᔔట⼹଺ؗᄘ㔋⽕കᐌ᠟ܗᘂ圕䁑䍇届䅕

:cheer: woot rage and i just played a little bit on new master server.

No need to distribute a modified exe, just distribute an application that patches the exe for people.

I wouldn't rush into this guys. It should be approached thought out and with a plan. Why would you need a plan? So we don't lose even more players if we shift to this. I would suggest just talking to Led, I'm sure you guys together can get players over to it without losing too many.

April 28, 2013, 06:31:36 PM #72 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:38:12 PM by Phobos
EPIC BREAKTHROUGH!
I'm able to host [FC]Battlegrounds through internet now and join without lag (~80 ping)! The only thing I can't do yet is host regular PC servers (freezes on loading screen).

There's a few bugs still: when you click internet, it counts busy 100% for a while, KDR isn't showing for dedi servers, and there is 9999 ping, you have to join, wait for busy to count 5-10 seconds, cancel, then join again to get in the server. But its less laggy than Tunngle servers by far.

Wolf and I will do some more testing but here is a proof of concept screenshot.

Anyway I'll look into uploading patched EXEs (if Led is okay with this), and posting a complete tutorial on how to play SWBF Multiplayer using internet mode again soon. - Apparently SleepKiller doesn't want this. We will wait and test things further before releasing anything.

Suffice to say it mostly works, and once we sort out all the bugs we'll look into releasing something. A patcher app might be more convenient than redistributing the exes, but there will need to be one for both server and client.

PM me if you want to see proof of concept video.

Kitfisto I think you and other mac players will finally be able to play in PC multiplayer servers again once this is finished.