New way to play SWBFI online? (not Tunngle)

Started by Kit Fisto, April 07, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I never said I was against a new exe being distributed. I was just saying a possibly slightly more "cover our backs from LucasArts and Disney" way.

Assuming the hosts lines Wolf posted are all that are needed for it to work. Which since I just tested it myself they appear to be. (Nice work btw the Wolf.) I have whipped up a little bat file that will edit your hosts file for you as long as you are running Windows XP and up. On Vista and up you will need to run it as a an administrator for it to work. You can download it here, DO NOT GET IT ANYWHERE ELSE. .BAT FILES CAN CAUSE SERIOUS HARM TO YOUR COMPUTER ONLY DOWNLOAD IT HERE! DO NOT RE-UPLOAD IT, LINK PEOPLE TO IT HERE.  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=948.

Here is the contents of it to prove it isn't doing anything harmful.
rem Sets the directory to the location of hosts.
cd C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
rem There can be an issue with the first entry appearing on the last commented line. This is to prevent that.
echo # >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 swbfrontpc.ms4.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 swbfrontpc.available.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 available.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 master.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 swbfrontpc.master.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.48 motd.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 key.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 peerchat.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 gpsp.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 gpcm.gamespy.com >> hosts
echo 198.91.90.160 natneg1.gamespy.com >> hosts
rem This was here for testing purposes if you want it just uncomment.
rem pause

April 28, 2013, 07:09:44 PM #77 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:20:48 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Yay! A way we can finally access Internet servers again! Hopefully with some more work and configuration, it can be made into more of a patch-like addition, unless that's what SK's .bat file is.

Anyways, I think I will try this out though when a more "official" release/statement is given. Or until all the Tunngler's start moving over.

The .bat file will add the lines to the hosts file for you needed for OpenSpy to work. So basically yes. Give it a go if you want to see for yourself.

here are a few basic notes.
1. when you click join it when the progress reaches 100% you can click cancel and you still will have serverlist updated(the bug is it tries running the script where it tries to checks server list multiple times causing a up to 20 sec hang otherwise)
2. due to a malfunction (i think it is in natneg) to join, click on server you want, let it load to 10 then press cancel, click on server again and join. if you don't have ports forwarded you may have to do so

also i have a program from back when spanky was running openspy that can change the hosts for any game that uses gamespy all you need is gsid of game in this case swbfrontpc. if the admins would like i could link or upload it.

April 28, 2013, 07:21:14 PM #80 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:22:49 PM by Phobos
The batch file is just one of three ways to achieve the same thing. Wolf had sent the openspyhelper patch which does this automatically in the same fashion (and supports other games too).

An easier way than either of these methods though, is to just manually replace your HOSTS file.

Download this
http://www.speedyshare.com/SC9Ng/hosts

And paste it here, overwriting the old one
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

You still have to patch the exe and port forward after this though for it to work.

@wolf
1) If the LUA script is trying to check server list multiple times I might be able to fix it. If its exe scripted then no.
2) You only have to wait about 5 seconds usually for that trick to work.

Just curios, do you think it's possible that we could eventually make this so that the user doesn't need to port-forward to join servers? Or is the port-forwarding only to host servers like with Tunngle?

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 28, 2013, 07:24:53 PM
Just curios, do you think it's possible that we could eventually make this so that the user doesn't need to port-forward to join servers? Or is the port-forwarding only to host servers like with Tunngle?
If wolf can script a patcher for windows firewall it might be possible, otherwise the most likely answer is no. You will have to manually port forward to join and host servers, but it isn't very difficult. I'm working on a tutorial right now actually.

I tested it. I didn't have to port forward to join or find servers. I didn't have to patch my .exe to join servers.

I must say I don't see how replacing your hosts file is easier than letting a batch file do it for you. All you have to do is launch an application with a batch file. With replacing it, the average joe is probably going to have trouble. Of course it all comes down to personal preference, but if your not confident in your computer skills I would just use the .bat file. Either way it doesn't really matter how people chose to get it, as long as they get it.

EDIT: Wait, what port do you need to forward? 3658? if so I still have it forwarded from the Gamespy days which is possibly why it worked for me from the get go.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 28, 2013, 07:24:53 PM
yes, it is possible, it will take a while to debug the couple bugs in the server but this is still the best bet for new master server atm. the bug that requires port forwarding is natneg isn't doing it's job right
the delay for server list if it is a bug in the exe i might be able to fix it is in the lua I'll defer it to you(Phobos)
i don't think i'll get to finishing the patcher tonight, but i may hold off until i can include a couple bug fixes

April 28, 2013, 07:39:47 PM #85 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:41:25 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on April 28, 2013, 07:30:20 PM
I tested it. I didn't have to port forward to join or find servers. I didn't have to patch my .exe to join servers.

I must say I don't see how replacing your hosts file is easier than letting a batch file do it for you. All you have to do is launch an application with a batch file. With replacing it, the average joe is probably going to have trouble. Of course it all comes down to personal preference, but if your not confident in your computer skills I would just use the .bat file. Either way it doesn't really matter how people chose to get it, as long as they get it.

EDIT: Wait, what port do you need to forward? 3658? if so I still have it forwarded from the Gamespy days which is possibly why it worked for me from the get go.

Easier for me to just replace the file because I don't like messing with batch files unless absolutely necessary. I'm sure both methods are relatively simple.

Not sure how u could join without editing the exe or port forwarding unless your firewall is disabled or every port open.

Ports 28910 TCP/UDP, and 29900 TCP.

Apparently elite got in the fc server without using a modified exe or port forwarding too. So maybe the hosts file is only thing that needs to be added for players to join the servers. But for hosting, I think all 3 processes must be implemented. The servers would not show in the lobby until I hex edited the server exe.

Well I got mine showing in the server lobby (For me at least.) and I only edited the hosts file.

Well the FC servers are up on Internet now, if anyone else can join them using only the modified HOSTS file let me know. There are currently no IP bans in place. If you can see them but not join, then try either PF or hex editing the EXE, or both. Let me know if you need help with these.

Well, I "Showed Up" and got "Merked". :P

I used SK's bat file, and had to try to join the GCW Battleground server twice, but there I was.

Neato.