Mod Tools via wine?

Started by jdee-barc, June 11, 2013, 06:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know that you can play SWBF (preferably 1.2) on a linux machine with wine without any issues. but I wonder about the mod tools. Does anyone know how this would work or not work out? (if it works well enough, I'm considering switching to Ubuntu)
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I don't think you could munge it, maybe if you had the cmd.exe located in the 'system' or whatever. I don't have a clue how it works, though.

Even then, cmd.exe uses the internal computer to do stuff, doesn't it? Like under the hood computer boot up?
-I'm probably way WAY off.

Quote from: jdee-barc on June 11, 2013, 06:53:42 PM
I know that you can play SWBF (preferably 1.2) on a linux machine with wine without any issues. but I wonder about the mod tools. Does anyone know how this would work or not work out? (if it works well enough, I'm considering switching to Ubuntu)
From my experience about using Wine, the short answer is no you can not munge. But you can do loads of other things. You can install many games using wine and you won't have to worry about creating a wine wrapper to run SWBFI, there is a perfect one right here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5450.0

Going back to the mod tools you can edit odf's and all that stuff but you can't make maps or munge anything. If you can munge I never figured it out.

However,  virtual machines are the BEST option. I used VMWare when I made my skins to  munge and it worked like a charm. I don't know about making maps. But a virtual machine is your best bet for running windows without having a PC computer. Of course this is all coming from a Mac users perspective.

Any more questions? ;)

Ignore those two noobs above me, they don't know what they are on about. :P

Short answer: Yes, with complications.

Long answer: Well yes you could theoretically run the mungers in Wine. It wouldn't be without complications, primarily the batch files. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether Wine can be made to recognize batch files or not. If it can, it should be pretty straight forward from there. I regrettably don't have a system that has Linux on that is easy to use.  (I have one with it on, but it overheats quickly.) So I can't test it out myself. If you can figure out how to bind batch files to Wine, it should be child's play from there. The mungers aren't exactly vastly complex applications with a million and one Windows API calls.

If you get the batch files running but receive some error message, let me know. I know my way around them and should be able to help. Although switching over with no guarantee of being able to mod may not be the best move.

I think all you need for batch files is a working cmd.exe shell.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 11, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
Ignore those two noobs above me, they don't know what they are on about. :P

Short answer: Yes, with complications.

Long answer: Well yes you could theoretically run the mungers in Wine. It wouldn't be without complications, primarily the batch files. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether Wine can be made to recognize batch files or not. If it can, it should be pretty straight forward from there. I regrettably don't have a system that has Linux on that is easy to use.  (I have one with it on, but it overheats quickly.) So I can't test it out myself. If you can figure out how to bind batch files to Wine, it should be child's play from there. The mungers aren't exactly vastly complex applications with a million and one Windows API calls.

If you get the batch files running but receive some error message, let me know. I know my way around them and should be able to help. Although switching over with no guarantee of being able to mod may not be the best move.
In my defense, have you ever used wine? Besides reading stuff about it?

I'm my defense..... Well, I got no defense.
I am just going to assume you are far more knowledge-able than us 'noobs' :P

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on June 12, 2013, 04:02:04 PM
I'm my defense..... Well, I got no defense.
I am just going to assume you are far more knowledge-able than us 'noobs' :P
No! We are supposed to join forces against the SleepKilling dictator and overthrow him!  :cheer:

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 12, 2013, 03:54:57 PM
In my defense, have you ever used wine? Besides reading stuff about it?
Does about three years or so count? I don't know much about Wine, I'll be honest but I do know a lot about the munge process. Like I said it should be possible to get them running on Wine, you just need someone with the know how to do it first. I would love to do it myself but installing Ubuntu on my laptop would be a pain due to secure boot.

Anyway my comment was meant as a joke. Also I'm just the useless by-standing dictator assistant.

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 12, 2013, 06:30:32 PM
I'm just the useless by-standing dictator assistant.
Assistant to which dictator?

And even though I'm not here that often these days, I'm still a part of of the slightly-useful dictator's secret police
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on June 12, 2013, 09:48:56 PM
And even though I'm not here that often these days, I'm still a part of of the slightly-useful dictator's secret police
Dear lord! What have I gotten myself into! :help:

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 13, 2013, 06:33:44 AM
Dear lord! What have I gotten myself into! :help:
You wondered why I gave up so fast? :P