New way to play SWBFI online? (not Tunngle)

Started by Kit Fisto, April 07, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So as I was on YouTube I found that a couple PS2 SWBF gamers had found a way to bypass the Gamespy servers using something called OpenSpy. I'm not sure how it works but I think it is important to look into. Here is the site, I don't think it's been updated since SWBFI isn't on the list.     http://openspy.net/

And here is the video I saw:

My questions:

Will this work with the PC version of SWBF

Will this make it so that you don't have to download anything?

Will this work for people who weren't connected with this site, or anyone except through the servers?

If this was better than Tunngle would you guys switch to this method?

I really hope this works, please consider trying it out at least!

interesting.  I will ask Bandit to check it out.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

If it meant not having to open another program then I would switch, assuming it wasn't laggy and that people were active there. Good find :tu:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

It says to use it (for ps2) just set up a new network profile and give it their supplied dns addresses.

No information about how to set up dedicated servers or pc games with it though.

I'm guessing that it would require the same dns change to the pc network settings and their dns server would handle routing the gamespy stuff (being the dns and all.)

So they have gamespy masterserver software?
Legaly?
Thats interesting.

I'm going to play with the ps2 and pc side of it as well. (Not this moment though, as I am on the cusp of splitting SEGM's based on smoothing groups into their own discrete pieces.)

This sounds promising. To be honest, I've been less active in BF1. I find it a bother to turn Tunngle on now whenever I want to play online whereas I can just hop online in RC. Even then, lately there haven't been many people online or at all to play with (most likely due to my new timing of playing) and it is hard for me to aim without a level surface.

I'd give this thing a shot. Hopefully the connectivity will be the same for everyone if not better.

If this isnt laggy or takes up to much of my PC's memory, Ill be playing SWBF again...         :mf:

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

What are the results of looking into this? Is it possible to use for the PC version of SWBF? How would it work? Are we gonna try it?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 12:25:54 PM
What are the results of looking into this?

Well, if it does work for PC we would get more players, thus keeping BF alive  :)

Is it possible to use for the PC version of SWBF?
Somebody should look into this

How would it work?

Not sure if you mean by the technical stuff

Are we gonna try it?

HECK YEAH!

The thing is, we need support if we are going to try it. People who hold the community together. Once we have their support to try it out, many people will follow.

If someone can figure it out, and it is little memory and little lag, I will download ASAP. I think a lot of others will too.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:32:27 PM
Once we have their support to try it out, many people will follow.

"If you build it, they will come."

The thing is, I have no idea how it works. I know there are people in this community who understand that kind of stuff. Once they explain it to a "leader" of the community and the "leader" try's it. It could bring the rest of the community back.

So the real question is, who wants to try and figure out how it works?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:45:20 PM
The thing is, I have no idea how it works. I know there are people in this community who understand that kind of stuff. Once they explain it to a "leader" of the community and the "leader" try's it. It could bring the rest of the community back.

So the real question is, who wants to try and figure out how it works?

Quote from: Buckler on April 07, 2013, 06:22:03 PM
interesting.  I will ask Bandit to check it out.

Just curious, but who is Bandit? Is here active on this site? Does he have a different name?