Someone is trying to murder the internet

Started by Ltin, October 21, 2016, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/business/internet-problems-attack.html?_r=0

An unknown entity (potentially a nation-state) launched a series of massive DDoS attacks on DNS servers in the US this morning.

This is worse than attacking some random website because your computer cannot just send an immediate request to swbfgamers.com, it has to send that request to the ip address hosting swbfgamers.com. DNS servers are where that information is collected.

I think there were 3 separate attacks, but it looks to have been resolved.

RIP the internet.

Tons of services were affected, but simply many people were having issues with Twitter but for some reason I myself and others in Europe were not affected. I think this might be because the US were only affected. But I'm not 100% sure.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Unit 33 on October 22, 2016, 03:09:21 AM
I bet it was those Martians again.
Those damn Martians, they're here to steal our jobs and fun in life!
The years just fly past, don't they?

The attack was apparently something rediculous like 800 gigabytes per second from hacked machines everywhere from security cameras to other people's computers says my tech app on my phone anyway

October 22, 2016, 06:36:29 PM #5 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:39:56 PM by Ltin
Quote from: Jean on October 22, 2016, 12:49:02 PM
The attack was apparently something rediculous like 800 gigabytes per second from hacked machines everywhere from security cameras to other people's computers says my tech app on my phone anyway
There was a virus released on the internet a few months back or something that would infect literally anything connected to the internet it could.
Essentially meaning your internet connected toaster could have played a part in this attack.
What? You dont have an internet connected toaster?

I wonder if this is why I couldn't connect to SWBFSpy the other day. :g: