Suggestion: multiplatform VPN

Started by aeria., November 13, 2012, 06:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
While Tunngle has been working, there's two flaws to the program.

- First is that it's a Windows only program, leaving the mac minority (which was the origin of this forum in the first place) in the dust.

- Second, people are having random connection issues to the point of not using Tunngle.

My suggestion: Find/create (why not make one if we can't find a decent free one) a multiplatform VPN solution so that players can connect via the lan function.

Mac and PC players can play together under vlan. We can finally bridge mac and pc players which can help the player population as a whole.

While gameranger is relatively easy to use, it separates Mac and PC users. This mishap can be an opportunity to bridge them together.

#TYBG

is anyone capable of and willing to do this? i would be certainly be supportive of our own VPN for swbf. eventually swbf2 pc gamespy master servers will be also shut down and we might want some sort of cohesive solution for both games

if it was like its own program with a gui we might even be able to distribute it on this website as a sort of required patch/vna to play swbf online

November 13, 2012, 06:45:13 PM #2 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:53:19 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
I am all for this solution if it happens. I'm not stating I can code or do programming, but I strongly support this idea. If this was made, this would get me back to SWBF.

By the way, found a tutorial about it by doing a quick google search. Dunno if it will help much tho:

http://etutorials.org/Networking/network+security+hacks/Chapter+6.+Secure+Tunnels/Hack+80+Create+a+Cross-Platform+VPN/

Also some more info if needed:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-create-a-vpn-for-faster-gaming-1055032

OpenVPN seems like a good tool. Now it's a matter of testing it out.

#TYBG

November 13, 2012, 07:06:38 PM #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:14:07 PM by tirpider
The only down side I can see with OpenVPN is managing the exposure of everyone's computers while connected.

We would need a relativly easy way to secure network shares and such.  At least easy enough that it could be setup by the end players.

-edit...

ok, that and its in Greek..

QuoteOpenVPN's lightweight design sheds many of the complexities that characterize other VPN implementations. The OpenVPN security model is based on SSL, the industry standard for secure communications via the internet. OpenVPN implements OSI layer 2 or 3 secure network extension using the SSL/TLS protocol, supports flexible client authentication methods based on certificates, smart cards, and/or 2-factor authentication, and allows user or group-specific access control policies using firewall rules applied to the VPN virtual interface. OpenVPN is not a web application proxy and does not operate through a web browser.

-edit 2
Ok.. digging around, it's default setup is to allow clients to see the server only.
To allow clients to see each other requires a setting change on the server side.

I don't know much about heavy connection application, but I am all for this, and will help in (almost) any way I can!
I think if I work on my GML scripting, I could create a.... Uhm, I am beginning to ramble xD   But yea, I'll help in anyone possible!

FOR NARINA! SWBF!

November 13, 2012, 07:31:07 PM #6 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:32:49 PM by tirpider
Man.. OpenVPN might be a great solution.

Anyone know how to do the network stuff?
I get the gist of it, but I still have questions after poking around thier site and forum.

Does OpenVPN have a population cap on network members?
Can it play nice with the existing servers, or will someone need to rent one?
- (Will the existing Game server hosts get upset if it's installed along with the SWBF servers?)
Can it handle the volume of multiplayer traffic without introducing latency?

PLA would probably have a server we could use, as long as its not a huge security risk/spam center.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on November 13, 2012, 07:34:13 PM
PLA would probably have a server we could use, as long as its not a huge security risk/spam center.
That shouldn't be a problem since the only people who could play on it would have to have a 8 year old game.

This would be very awesome if it were able to happen.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 13, 2012, 07:35:08 PM
That shouldn't be a problem since the only people who could play on it would have to have a 8 year old game.

By saying "8 year old game", you mean the game itself, or the copy of it has to be 8 years old??  :wacko:

Well, nothing to do but read up on it then.

Here is a link to their site.
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source.html

Documentation, FAQ's, a forum and some example configuration files.

I still don't know if it's appropriate for video game traffic or not. 

Networking and protocols is my weakest math.

I'll start looking into how it deals with the adapter (TAP, I think they are calling it)

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 07:42:55 PM
By saying "8 year old game", you mean the game itself, or the copy of it has to be 8 years old??  :wacko:
The game itself.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 07:46:45 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Sharpshot. :P
Anytime Gold Digger, I mean Gold Man jks :P