Mircosoft: 'It's time to invest in PC gaming'

Started by aeria., August 19, 2010, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Did Microsoft just say that they should stop ignoring the PC community?

Yes, they did.

"I think we need to invest in this space," he told CVG. "Windows is an important space for us so we need to invest our first-party IP in it as much as anybody else. We cant really ask other companies to step up if the first party isn't stepping up."

On why Microsoft's appeared to snub the PC for the last few years, Luehmann said it was an issue of "focus".

"I think it was a focus thing. We started to focus on one area and now we're saying let's start to spread that focus.

"I think the whole company has been focused on console work for a long time and it's time for us to come back and bring one of our best IPs [Age of Empires] back and to a market that can really use it," he said.

/end copypasta

So are they going to invest on PC gaming again... or just Age of Empires. Either one of them has happened to be ignored forever so it's good news to my ears.

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=260220

#TYBG

Microsoft can continue to ignore the PC community.  I won't mind as it means GFWL use by developers will stop and MS won't release a new version or update GFWL to be more craptastic than it already is.  Steamworks please, does everything GFWL does with none of the hassle and it does more.  Take GTA IV for instance.  It's a good game but the way it handles Save Games and Single Player with GFWL is a pain in the bottom.

GFWL auto game updates are hellish too. Red Faction Guerrilla had a GFWL error in which the update to Patch 1 would hang even on fast systems.  Patch 2 still had the hang issue on some systems.  SO you had to download and manual patch the game anyways.

true that...the reason i stopped playing GTA IV is because every time i wanted to launch the game i had to use GFWL...or at least thats what it told me

one might argue it works the same way with steam games....well Steam is better than GFWL so i can bear it!

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

While completely unnecessary, GFWL isn't that bad once it starts working. I just made an account, turned out auto sign-in, and it worked fine after that.

#TYBG

it confuses my Xbox friends tho. ill be playing GTA on PC and they will invite me to their mw2 game.

Quote from: Led Zeppelin > God on August 20, 2010, 02:13:16 PM
it confuses my Xbox friends tho. ill be playing GTA on PC and they will invite me to their mw2 game.

I didn't even know your PC can even handle GTAIV. 0_o

Anyway does anyone else have their thoughts on this?

#TYBG

lol i do!

my PC handles it great  ;)

If I up my laptop's Proc from 2.13Ghz to 2.4Ghz, it handles GTA IV on medium at 30+ frames a second.  Rockstar's recent patches optimized the engine quite a bit in comparison to launch day.

Laptop.

Intel P7450 @ 2.13GHz
Clock Generator: ICSLPR363DGLF

Using SetFSB I up the FSB to 300.1 with a x8 multiplier. That gives a core clock speed of 2400.1 Mhz.  Temps go up by 6 C on load, and it's no where near dangerous at 74C on full load.

Even with its low Stock Speed the P7450 is still a solid Laptop Processor.  Plus SetFSB is more reliable than ASUS' own Power4Gear software that ups it to 2.3Ghz.

thats good i run at 2.5Ghz with 4GB of RAM