Haxors in SWBF2

Started by Count Zero, October 24, 2016, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
today i was in a server where 2 guys sat inside the walls. they used infinite jump, an anywhere-class changer and were in general a pair of anal polyps. i rejoined to film the two and got the rest on tape. heres what i captured - a rare species of troll - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HM9xUaBKIo&feature=youtu.be

It is the usual troll pair.

The server host needs to IP ban them.  When the hosts gets the IPs, we can post them here for the other server admins to ban them.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

can i ask how the usual troll pair remains at large after being identified? surely their ips are known if theyre regular customers

October 24, 2016, 07:46:55 PM #3 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:48:29 PM by Led
Quote from: Count Zero on October 24, 2016, 07:24:56 PM
can i ask how the usual troll pair remains at large after being identified? surely their ips are known if theyre regular customers

Customers?  There are no customers here--only players.  SWBFgamers hosts the master server only, which is just the game browser and for which there is no fee or transaction, or promise of any service.

Players host their own servers and are responsible for them, not anyone else.  They need to get the IP and take care of their own server.  Only the host has access to be able to IP ban.  You can inform the host and if they don't take care of it, play on a server with a host that takes care of their server.

Quote from: Count Zero on October 24, 2016, 05:10:47 PM
today i was in a server where 2 guys sat inside the walls. they used infinite jump, an anywhere-class changer and were in general a pair of anal polyps. i rejoined to film the two and got the rest on tape. heres what i captured - a rare species of troll - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HM9xUaBKIo&feature=youtu.be

And were you on Gameranger for this video or SWBFspy?

mr led you took the word customer far too literally. i appreciate the explanation for how servers function as independent entities. my question to you though was how are these two still running amok if you know of them and what they do? i understand their ips should be identified and published for admins everywhere. but i do not understand how this measure has gone undone if they are well known figures in your community. it seems we must all help one another if this is how wars are waged these days.

edit. played on gameranger earlier today

October 24, 2016, 08:45:39 PM #6 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:54:01 PM by Led
They cannot be permanently IP banned on Gameranger.  GR is similar to a VPN in which you are assigned a random IP address within a certain block of IP addresses.  Each time they log on they have a different IP.

If they have a reasonably static IP address, they can be banned on SWBFspy servers.  But the admin needs to catch them on a SWBFspy server and get their IP address.  This IP address is in no way related to the GR IP address.   I have no problem with admins sharing IP addresses here but that also requires a lot of care to make sure the right bans are issued.

I've run servers for almost 10 years, and it is constant work to keep hackers and bad players out of my own servers.   It is a constant cat-and-mouse game even if you know the player that causes trouble.  For each move that is taken to ban them, there is a counter move they can make to get around it and cause more trouble.

The best way to have a clean server is to have several associates or clan members that help police the server and enforce the rules.  A server that is run well will attract the most players.  Of course, the hackers can't have fun unless there are other players to annoy, and so it goes on and on...

As far as the customer comment:  I've played EA SWBF, and I consider myself a customer of theirs, and quite frankly, I think it is their job to keep the servers clean (particularly since they won't let players run their own servers).  For us here, however, I wanted to make it clear to everyone that what we have here is a gamer-run operation without that level of support or even ability to do much if anything about the issue.

Quote from: Led on October 24, 2016, 08:45:39 PM
They cannot be permanently IP banned on Gameranger.  GR is similar to a VPN in which you are assigned a random IP address within a certain block of IP addresses.  Each time they log on they have a different IP.

If they have a reasonably static IP address, they can be banned on SWBFspy servers.  But the admin needs to catch them on a SWBFspy server and get their IP address.  This IP address is in no way related to the GR IP address.   I have no problem with admins sharing IP addresses here but that also requires a lot of care to make sure the right bans are issued.

I've run servers for almost 10 years, and it is constant work to keep hackers and bad players out of my own servers.   It is a constant cat-and-mouse game even if you know the player that causes trouble.  For each move that is taken to ban them, there is a counter move they can make to get around it and cause more trouble.
All the more reason to use SWBFSpy intsead.

i see. if swbfspy has a better chance to squash this then it should obviously be used over gameranger. by all means use my video as an example of why gameranger is inferior to convince players and admins to make the switch.

Quote from: Count Zero on October 24, 2016, 08:28:13 PM
mr led you took the word customer far too literally. i appreciate the explanation for how servers function as independent entities. my question to you though was how are these two still running amok if you know of them and what they do? i understand their ips should be identified and published for admins everywhere. but i do not understand how this measure has gone undone if they are well known figures in your community. it seems we must all help one another if this is how wars are waged these days.

edit. played on gameranger earlier today
We are not paid any money (nor we want to, that should be clear as well) for SWBFSpy.
I get involved because I do not want anyone to ruin the SWBFSpy Experience, however trolls always existed, even when GameSpy was still running...

Hosts are the ones to take care of their server. By what I was able to read as "Admin messages", UnityGaming provides u an email to report all players, so all u gotta do is write them an email.

Quote from: Count Zero on October 24, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
i see. if swbfspy has a better chance to squash this then it should obviously be used over gameranger. by all means use my video as an example of why gameranger is inferior to convince players and admins to make the switch.
We're tried to convince them to swap, but not all of them paid attention to our words. After what u saw yesterday u could let know the GR guys that SWBFSpy counts on many advantages over GR, and see if they start playing in SWBFSpy
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com