Photobucket Charging $400 to host third party images

Started by Giftheck, July 01, 2017, 07:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

QuotePhotobucket is cracking down on people embedding on third-party websites images it hosts, until now, for free.

The photo-slinging internet elder now says that anyone who wants to use its service to display photos it hosts on other pages – such as signature banners in forum posts – will now need to open up their wallets and plop down $399.99 a year for a subscription plan.

The new policy will be particularly annoying to longtime users who have relied on Photobucket's 14-year-old service to host the images they use to place images on forums or in blog posts.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Luckily I use imgur. xD

Lets just hope imgur doesn't do the same.

But $400 a year? I think that's a bit extreme for a photo hosting site.
The years just fly past, don't they?

That price is exorbitant. It's like they want to go out of business.

Could easily afford photoshop for that amount of money I think xD

Most people will just move. The biggest shame is how many old websites and forums will become unreadable if they start deleting old images.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I'm not really sure what use photobucket would be to anyone these days without support of 3rd party hosting. 

What they should have done (IMO)  is charged $5 a year and added a watermark on 3rd party hosted images unless a (slightly) higher fee is paid.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

It's a strangely high price, surely anyone who uploads $400 worth... Isn't going to be using photobucket.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

With $400 I might as well get a PS4 and Battlefront.
My YouTube Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/R6GFL1993
Don't forget to subscribe, and like my videos!