Endor Demo Maps recompiled

Started by Dark_Phantom, September 20, 2018, 07:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 20, 2018, 07:50:27 PM Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:51:58 PM by Dark_Phantom
Endor Demo Maps recompiled

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1470

Swap with your current Endor.  Please backup!

This isn't really a big deal - just for curious modders.  I have not fixed these up to the best of my ability.  I copied the files that were compatible with the munger and pulled the rest from stock Endor's asset folder.  As such, all textures and objects are the files that came at the game's release/BFBuilder tools.  Someone much more talented than me would have to get those objects into a PC-ready form.

The XBOX version has the most changes.  With this: the generator did not have a CP included and the Shield Bunker is not there.  Also, the beloved log trap is there.    The PS2 version is pretty close to the same and could honestly be passed off as the real map with some small exceptions and different tree placement.  In both, I believe that there is a higher focus on connecting the catwalks for the Ewok village, unlike in the released game.  I didn't check to make sure, though.

The Pandemic devs left almost everything they used in the BFBuilder tools.  Therefore, all objects should be present, however, due to development changes, some stuff doesn't line up (like the tree catwalks).  The minimap is stock BF1, as I didn't see a map in DylanRocket's files that i remember.  This makes it so that especially on the XBOX version, nothing lines up correctly.

Credits:
Pandemic Studios - for Battlefront 1
George Lucas - Star Wars!
DylanRocket for finding and extracting, thread here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4241.msg118585#msg118585
Me, for making an effort to PC compile them.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Apologies, but I'm not familiar with what the Endor demo maps are supposed to be.  Are these demo map improvements over the normal shipped maps?  Or just a different layout from the shipped maps?   ???

I think this dates back to the pre-release of the game when there were promotional videos and such.  By release, the game got changed but this version looks like the demo.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I just tried it. In effect, it's like the demo version of the game's promotional videos. About the maps I think that the XBOX version was the earliest, since I've noticed as if the map was something bigger (or I think so) respect to the original. I really don't understand why Pandemic wanted to remove the log trap in the final release, it seems a fun feature of the map.

Of course, nice contribution DarkPhantom! :D
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

They are the .wld and some of the planning and region files from the demos.  The .lvl files were able to be decompiled into their sections, and the .wld inside was able to be converted to text format, which hasn't changed since the demoes were sent out.  One error that does come up in regards to the sky is something like "Sky file in old format" but the game still runs and I thought that it was working.

The layout here would be the same as the demo, but the actual objects and textures are from the released game.  I'm not sure how you would get the objects over (maybe rebuilding them or recompiling them or something), but textures could be done without much hassle.

XBOX was an early demo and PS2 was pretty late it seems.

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on September 24, 2018, 08:43:18 AMPS2 was pretty late it seems.
The PS2 Demo game for SWBF2 actually has a different Tantive map and rebel skins similar to BF1. I can provide those files if you want them.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

I don't do BF2 but I would still definitely like a look at them - that'd be awesome.

Here's the mini-map texture for the Xbox demo map:

The TGA file is attached to this post. It seems that CP names were placed on the map at run time however, as you can see here: https://youtu.be/XcxGB6t3Y_I?t=194

September 26, 2018, 08:50:41 AM #9 Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:00:35 AM by Dark_Phantom
That makes sense.  That's actually pretty cool if I could get it working.
Edit: Actually just watched the Demo part of that video again.  In the Xbox version, a destructible door is used on the shield generator, and that's how you blow it up.  Instead, there is a hole there because it is not in the released assets.
Also that jump animation is funny.