Gamespy shutting down

Started by Droideka, April 03, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 03, 2014, 08:34:27 PM Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:36:38 PM by Droideka
So, by the end of this month it looks like Gamespy will but shutting down its servers for all of its games. This includes games like older COD's and Battlefield games, as well as the still active Halo:CE servers.

Some Star Wars games are also shutting down, including Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, and Jedi Outcast. What I'm really concerned about though, is the SWBF2 servers. Does anybody know whether those servers will still be active, or is SWBF2 multiplayer on the way out?

If SWBF2 is truly going to be only singleplayer, it looks like I'm going to have to binge before the end comes.

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

There's still a fallout plan... http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5511.0 or we could be [spoiler][/spoiler]
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Although if this is the end of Gamespy would it kill them to release the software so that the communities can put up and pay for there own masterserver?

Considering how this has happened before with BF1 and they didn't do it, I don't think they will now SK. Have you told any other site like GT, Droideka?
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

April 03, 2014, 09:18:53 PM #4 Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:26:14 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Actually COD, I think it would be more practical to go to the trouble of releasing the server software if ALL the games as opposed to releasing them one by one in the big databases that they are every time they stop hosting that particular game..

Here's to hoping they do release them!

It will be quite unfortunate when SWBFII servers go out.. It's still a very active community..

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on April 03, 2014, 09:15:10 PM
Considering how this has happened before with BF1 and they didn't do it, I don't think they will now SK. Have you told any other site like GT, Droideka?
Yes but with SWBF1 it was only a few games that had there servers killed. This is all of them. See the difference? If they have a sense of decency they would release the software to the public.

I don't think it's going to happen. But it would be the right thing to do.

April 04, 2014, 05:11:19 AM #7 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:29:14 AM by Led
Got a link for the source of this information?

ok, i see it.

Welcome to the tunngle, SWBF2 players :)

GT has a thread, I posted what our experiences have been.  (It is always interesting to see the responses to my posts over there...  ;)  )
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30026

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Wow. This sucks.

I can't say I am too upset though, I have fallen away from Star Wars titles like SWBF2 and Republic Commando. I really do miss Chuckin nades and instagibing. I got so darn good at that too! What ever happened to the RC community though? I had played many hours for a couple months straight on one server and got real good, the server went away and so did I. I came back and there was like nobody in the servers. I may have to install RC and play 1 more match.

My main concern is the PSP actually. I know of 5 titles that may still be played online, LBP, LBP Karting, Fifa 2014, Resistance Retribution, and one of the SWBFs on PSP. RR and Fifa must still have online, but how many of those titles are Gamespy? This will really hurt the PSP, especially if the only Title that has stuck with the PSP will not have online.

Is there any way to bring it to Gamespys attention that we would like the software. Heck, all Gamespy users could pitch in and give a little money and we could buy it if they don't give it up.

We should do a RC and SWBFII gameday soon!  :)

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Led on April 04, 2014, 05:11:19 AM
GT has a thread, I posted what our experiences have been.  (It is always interesting to see the responses to my posts over there...  ;)  )
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30026

I see. It seems you brought up the old OpenSpy option, does that still work to this day, or no?

April 04, 2014, 06:01:16 AM #10 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:11:58 AM by Led
Quote from: Carbon27 on April 04, 2014, 05:36:46 AM
Wow. This sucks.

I can't say I am too upset though, I have fallen away from Star Wars titles like SWBF2 and Republic Commando. I really do miss Chuckin nades and instagibing. I got so darn good at that too! What ever happened to the RC community though? I had played many hours for a couple months straight on one server and got real good, the server went away and so did I. I came back and there was like nobody in the servers. I may have to install RC and play 1 more match.

My main concern is the PSP actually. I know of 5 titles that may still be played online, LBP, LBP Karting, Fifa 2014, Resistance Retribution, and one of the SWBFs on PSP. RR and Fifa must still have online, but how many of those titles are Gamespy? This will really hurt the PSP, especially if the only Title that has stuck with the PSP will not have online.

Is there any way to bring it to Gamespys attention that we would like the software. Heck, all Gamespy users could pitch in and give a little money and we could buy it if they don't give it up.

We should do a RC and SWBFII gameday soon!  :)

I still play Republic Commando. We have a solid amount of people doing mix scrims everyday, and we will continue to play it as the direct connect IP will still work after the shut down. (which is what we use for scrims) As for Swbf2 since there is no direct connect, it will finally die. But I'm quite happy it is going to die and I will not be playing on the  :censored: tungle stuff, though there is a group of people who are in the making of a new master server for SWBF2. How that will work I have no idea, they are looking for someone to help with it who knows a lot about C++ so if anyone is interested you can add them on Xfire to talk about it.

EyesOnly Xfire: masterqueue

Draigun Xfire: draigun
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

Quote from: BoMbeR on April 04, 2014, 06:01:16 AM
I still play Republic Commando. We have a solid amount of people doing mix scrims everyday, and we will continue to play it as the direct connect IP will still work after the shut down. (which is what we use for scrims) As for Swbf2 since there is no direct connect, it will finally die. But I'm quite happy it is going to die and I will not be playing on the  :censored: tungle stuff, though there is a group of people who are in the making of a new master server for SWBF2. How that will work I have no idea, they are looking for someone to help with it who knows a lot about C++ so if anyone is interested you can add them on Xfire to talk about it.

If you wish it to die, it will die. If the community wants it to live, it will live. Just try a little, please, don't suffer the same fate as SWBF is doing right now.

Quote from: BoMbeR on April 04, 2014, 06:01:16 AM

Direct Connect may not work:  In SWBF1, the Direct Connect was patched through to Gamespy, even though it only asked for IP address to connect.  They probably did the same thing on most of their games, so it will not work most likely.
As far as the new master server is concerned, good luck with it.  It's going to take a lot of time and patience and trial and error and lots of knowledge.  Tunngle is a little buggy, but always a viable option.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on April 04, 2014, 07:10:55 AM
Direct Connect may not work:  In SWBF1, the Direct Connect was patched through to Gamespy, even though it only asked for IP address to connect.  They probably did the same thing on most of their games, so it will not work most likely.
As far as the new master server is concerned, good luck with it.  It's going to take a lot of time and patience and trial and error and lots of knowledge.  Tunngle is a little buggy, but always a viable option.

Well I am also on the might not work via direct connect IP end, but a lot of the RC players keep saying it will so I'm just agreeing with them, if it doesn't oh well.
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

Well, if it doesn't, there's always the option of using something like with what they are trying to develop with SWBF2 (like Openspy).
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.