Comic Book thread

Started by Gold Man, October 29, 2013, 03:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who thinks an SWBF Comic Book series would be a great idea?

Yes, I think it's a great idea!
7 (58.3%)
Eh, it could work.
2 (16.7%)
I don't really care.
2 (16.7%)
No, it's an awful idea...
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: November 13, 2013, 08:43:21 AM

October 29, 2013, 03:16:14 PM Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:53:10 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: 411Remnant on October 29, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
comic book looking one

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE THINK OF THIS BEFORE?!

WE NEED TO MAKE SWBF COMIC BOOKS! :o

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on October 29, 2013, 03:16:14 PM
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE THINK OF THIS BEFORE?!

WE NEED TO MAKE SWBF COMIC BOOKS! :o
That my friend is a brilliant concept.. I would be very interested in the art part..

October 30, 2013, 04:33:07 AM #2 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:34:00 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on October 29, 2013, 09:16:20 PM
That my friend is a brilliant concept.. I would be very interested in the art part..

Not only that, but it would be way easier to tell stories this way than via video. All you really need is the right images (in that type of edit that Kit has), and then you need to make pannels and text boxes!

Ive done somthing similar with the boxes. I could prepare more comic book-ish looking ones as templates.

http://411remnant.deviantart.com/gallery/#/art/Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Comic-Book-Art-330121792?_sid=49dee202
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

My art skills are pretty abysmal, but I would be up for possibly writing some comics :D

<insert witty signature here>

October 30, 2013, 09:35:35 AM #5 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:45:03 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: 411Remnant on October 30, 2013, 07:51:16 AM
Ive done somthing similar with the boxes. I could prepare more comic book-ish looking ones as templates.

http://411remnant.deviantart.com/gallery/#/art/Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Comic-Book-Art-330121792?_sid=49dee202
Quote from: RC-1498 on October 30, 2013, 08:07:30 AM
My art skills are pretty abysmal, but I would be up for possibly writing some comics :D

Sweet! So we have the panels, and the writer, now we just need the images! :D

I guess through writing the comic would be the first bit, then doing the imagery, heh. :P

Either way, I think this could come toegether nicely! Who agree's with me? :)

EDIT: Added poll.

October 30, 2013, 10:16:02 AM #6 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:24:24 AM by -RepublicCommando-
Yes, I'd love to see a small community made comic (or even just a group production).

Here's something I did fooling around with a effect and masked it over the original image.
Its just a BF2 screen shot (and scaled 50%).

edit- I just thought;
So if its only images that are needed, and not actual physics for ingame and all that, new models can be put ingame with little to no optimization (no collision mesh(s), shadowvolumes, bones, special adjustments.. etc) and be used in the comic itself!

For instance, one could create a very high detailed (lots of polygons and a very nice texture) Republic Ventilator interior with all the ships and whatnot, and not have to worry about game-compatibility because its only to be seen with the image and not used for gameplay.

Probably means nothing to most of you, but it would definitely clean up and enhance the quality and speed of production of making the comics. Also, the images could be more fitted to the story, rather than just splicing together a few stock models.

What type of comic book? Comedy? (Like Calvin & Hobbes or Garfield) Or action? (Like Superman or Batman) Or a mix of both?
I'm pretty interested in what you guys come up with.  :tu:

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on October 30, 2013, 10:20:54 AM
What type of comic book? Comedy? (Like Calvin & Hobbes or Garfield) Or action? (Like Superman or Batman) Or a mix of both?
I think that would mostly depend upon the writer. But I'd love to see multiple different types..

October 30, 2013, 11:16:13 AM #9 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:39:22 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man

Given RC-1498's little bits in the SWBF forum game, I'd say it would be more of an action/drama/war type, but I'm fine with some comedic tales as well. :P

As for the model stuff, that is true. It would make the graphics in the comics more hi-quality, and like RC said, speed production in the comics. :D

EDIT: Looking back at what you said of the models RC, we still would need to have some type of shadows involved in some of the models if they're in the image. Then we can mask them over with effects to have the appearance of an actual comic book style. However, I do see what you mean, we could have hi-quality models used, and only adding minimal stuff to them, as they won't be used in-game. But then the real questions comes as, how would you manage to get the models to appear in the images, if they won't be in-game where we take the shots? :confused:

I'm down for both, I like the idea of banter during intense situations.

<insert witty signature here>

Not so much not having them ingame (for lighting purposes, SWBFViewer application just doesn't cut it for the scenes I need sometimes..), but rather just not optimizing them for gameplay.

Getting them ingame would be easier than taking GSketchup Screen shots and pasting them as sprites after all :P

The shadowvolumes don't need to be there because them game can generate automatic ones (that would otherwise be very laggy, but since we're not actually playing and releasing it like a mod, it won't matter) using an option file and all kinds of fun modding terms.

It will hardly be an issue,.. atleast for me.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on October 30, 2013, 02:09:59 PM
Not so much not having them ingame (for lighting purposes, SWBFViewer application just doesn't cut it for the scenes I need sometimes..), but rather just not optimizing them for gameplay.

Getting them ingame would be easier than taking GSketchup Screen shots and pasting them as sprites after all :P

The shadowvolumes don't need to be there because them game can generate automatic ones (that would otherwise be very laggy, but since we're not actually playing and releasing it like a mod, it won't matter) using an option file and all kinds of fun modding terms.

It will hardly be an issue,.. atleast for me.

So basically, we can have them in-game, and the game can generate the shadows for it. So it won't be an issue in the setup sense, it will just be difficult for shots. For instance, knowing which angle we need them at, how far away the objects are in the shot, what will be close-up, etc. Though I'm sure we could decide those factors once we have an actual story setup, eh?

Who would like to write up a comic script for the group so we can get an idea as to what images will be needed and such? If anyone's writing up the story, could they possibly add some sections with brief descriptions in-between lines of text so we know what type of image to put in?

For example:

Text bubble: Hey, what's going on?
(Image of two clones standing opposite of the other in appearance of actual discussion)
Text bubble: Eh, not much, did you see any droids yet?
Text bubble: Nope, nothing yet.

(Image of a clone [up-close] viewing out in the distance)
Narrative box: Suddenly, a droid battalion approaches.

Something like that at least. If you want to go deeper into detail with the description thats fine with me. :)

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on October 30, 2013, 02:27:15 PM
[size=78%]Text bubble: Hey, what's going on?[/size]
(Image of two clones standing opposite of the other in appearance of actual discussion)
Text bubble: Eh, not much, did you see any droids yet?
Text bubble: Nope, nothing yet.

(Image of a clone [up-close] viewing out in the distance)
Narrative box: Suddenly, a droid battalion approaches.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
A fun idea. If I had any time at all I would be tempted to draw the thing myself.
From experience I'd suggest you start with a short sequential comic and expand as you go ahead and go ahead.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on October 30, 2013, 02:36:08 PM
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
A fun idea. If I had any time at all I would be tempted to draw the thing myself.
From experience I'd suggest you start with a short sequential comic and expand as you go ahead and go ahead.

So something like a small comic series? Or a lot of different short stories in one book? I was thinking of starting off small, not something full-blown off the bat like a massive volume of comics or anything. :P