3d Modeling [Work In Progress... forever]

Started by tirpider, June 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: UNIT 33 on June 10, 2013, 05:04:45 AM
Well here's the finished sketchup model. If anyone fancies porting it to .msh, I would like to paint it's UVs and make it a fully functional gun...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38022982/Skins/vulcannon.skp
I'll take a look at it.
Hopefully it doesn't scramble the UVs, or it might take a little while.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on June 10, 2013, 09:42:53 AM
I'll take a look at it.
Hopefully it doesn't scramble the UVs, or it might take a little while.
Thanks! I've kept the interior as hollow as possible... and the polycount is roughly under 500 so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad... hehe.

Bwhahahaha.
XSI ftw.
- I redid the grenade in XSI completely, the texture is 10x better.

-edit: And it still looks saturated after screenshot :P
I wish you could use option files outside of modding xD

Groovy.
I dig the black a lot more than the olive colored ones.

Quote from: tirpider on June 11, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
Groovy.
I dig the black a lot more than the olive colored ones.
I couldn't agree more!

@Unit, your gun model has quite a few UVs to sort threw, but it is easier when I have XSI reset the project to more manageable assortments of triangles.
I won't ever quit working on it no matter how long it takes (don't get scared, I don't think it'll take to long, this is a just in case)just for the mere fact of how awesome the model is, even without texture.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on June 11, 2013, 06:47:40 PM
@Unit, your gun model has quite a few UVs to sort threw, but it is easier when I have XSI reset the project to more manageable assortments of triangles.
I won't ever quit working on it no matter how long it takes (don't get scared, I don't think it'll take to long, this is a just in case)just for the mere fact of how awesome the model is, even without texture.

Gee thanks a lot! Sorry to have caused any complications, I didn't really know how to optimise the model for porting.

My first ever proper sculpture. A highly WIP head. I like this program, although reducing the tri count to something usable in SWBF could be a challenge.

Groovy.
More heads :evil grin:

Sculptris is fun to work with, and I haven't figured the reduction part out yet either.

The Shrinkwrap tool in XSI apparently lets you draw polygons on (on top of) an existing model. Like a wrapper.
So I guess making a lowres would be like tracing the high res.  Sounds tedious, but it seems like a better option than the Polygon Reduction tool.  It can't be harder than doing UVs. 

I know that XSI has a tool called Ultimapper that can project a normal map from a high res model to a texture or  another (lower res) model.

I'm confident we can find a way to get the mesh reduced to a usable point. It may involve learning a new tool, but in the long run that's not such a bad option.

June 12, 2013, 12:57:08 PM #23 Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:10:43 PM by -RepublicCommando-
I was goofing around with the grenade model yesterday, and found some vertex weld tool (there are several of them that do slightly different things), and this box pops up with a weld vertexs that are a specified amount of space away from eachother, you had a little scoll bar thing that lets you specify that, and I am almost certain you can get a good polygon reduction out of it.

I'll test it out later. -edit: Seems to work fine, but it still has bugs.

My first "from scratch" person model.
[spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler]

I had the actual unit model made last night, (just created polygons and put them under bones, which was an irritating thing to do, since I had never done it before). Then I rendered on Uvs to all of the individual parts (again, very irritating to do over and over), and adjusted them one by one.

I'm thinking about editing the core section to sow him together, add a few wires hanging near the joints.
I am thinking a C3PO sort of concept here.

June 13, 2013, 03:25:56 PM #25 Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:28:50 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on June 13, 2013, 03:22:44 PM
My first "from scratch" person model.
[spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler]

I had the actual unit model made last night, (just created polygons and put them under bones, which was an irritating thing to do, since I had never done it before). Then I rendered on Uvs to all of the individual parts (again, very irritating to do over and over), and adjusted them one by one.

I'm thinking about editing the core section to sow him together, add a few wires hanging near the joints.
I am thinking a C3PO sort of concept here.

When I saw those images I was reminded of the Insectoids robot minifigure I had in my LEGO collection. Here's an image of it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

wELP, when I tested the model without texture, it worked fine (well, as fine as a person without texture is..)
After I tested with texture, it broke, and the only thing you could see is the right eye.

I guess there is some relation to addons and placing geometry under bones like I do. Which would intern also explain why only 1 addon mesh is allowed ingame.

Well, reduction is hard, but pretty possible, even with no any serious shape deforms:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Seems, Sculptris, may do the things, which is realy hard can be done in XSI: natural shaped models, like plants, creatures, landscapes etc. But for creating tech, building things, it's still better use XSI.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Oh my, that is a groovy snail.
Even better that you have it in the game.