ICW2 Conclusion; A Proposal

Started by Oven, January 16, 2013, 08:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 16, 2013, 08:06:22 PM Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:54:07 AM by Oven
First thing's first - congratulations to FC for winning the Second Intergalactic Clan War! I believe someone is working on awards which should be handed out soon.

I think this tournament has been worth it just to see those servers fill up every weekend; it's great to see that the community is able to put aside differences and still play some good games despite the shutdown.

Thanks to Buckler for hosting every week, and to the admins Agent Z and Scorpion for their excellent work. gdh deserves mention as well, not only for his tireless organizing/recruiting for YAK/ELK, but also because he was willing to step in as a admin when needed. Thanks to Nixo and Phobos for being communicative and cooperative as clan leaders/reps. Thanks to Unit 33 for outdoing himself with the tournament map every week! And thanks to everyone who, when conflict arose, was willing to understand the other perspective and reach agreement.

Now, on to business. I have a proposal, a (currently nameless) system for clan wars that is stress-free, easy, and regular. Here goes:

Each week, any clan (or team, or faction, or squad) may propose a clan war in a similar fashion to the ICW announcements (in a designated thread on this website). The war may take place on any map (mods too) as long as both clans agree; have any player limit (i.e. 5v5, 10v10 etc.) as long as both teams agree, be at any time/date as long as both teams agree, etc. However, there is a stipulation that the announcement must be agreed upon at least 2 days before the planned date.

Default rules will be the ICW Rules (no special units, premines, etc.), but modifications to the rules are fine if both clans can agree on the modification, and inform the admin for that battle. Additionally, server modifications (such as fair sides) may be made, as long as both clans agree.

SWBGamers will host all the servers; it will be the job of the announcer to inform Buckler of the server details 2 days in advance.

I think there should be a reasonable limit to the amount of announcements that may be made per week, like 2. What do you all think?

Here are some important differences between this system and the ICW:
-- No tournament planet map
-- No tournament planet list
-- No overall "winner"
-- No specified player maximum
-- No official clan list. Any clan or ragtag team of you and your friends can pop in and challenge whoever you want
-- No battle requirement. Schedule battles when you want to.
-- Admin setup (detailed below)

The admin situation would be different from the ICW as well. Anyone who wants to be listed as an "admin" should contact me (xfire or in this topic) and, as long as I have reason to believe that the candidate is competent (my discretion), I will add their name to a list. Here's the catch: both clans must agree to the admin before a match, or a list of acceptable admins. Thus, there may be many potential admins, but both clans are only likely to agree on a select few who are perceived to be sufficiently "neutral" by both. As always, I am the President/King/Dictator Admin; I reserve the right to reject a candidate admin or remove someone from the list whenever I want.

The idea is that this system will be entirely community-generated, with a minimum of authoritative input (beyond what is obviously needed). It is my opinion that such a system will be salutary for the continued lifespan of this game, not to mention a lot of fun!

Everything written above is subject to amendment, which depends largely on you all pointing out things that I've overlooked; please do so.

Admin list:
Oven (ovenlovesyou)
Anyder (anyder21)
Norris (212norris)

Awesom, thanks Oven!  :tu: I will sign on as Admin if you will have me.  :)

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

January 16, 2013, 08:17:40 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:19:14 PM by Phobos
Great idea

I propose that you allow for other types of servers (as long as both clans agree to proposed terms) which would mod the mission LUA to give certain units to both teams, like fair sides or dark jets vs dark jets with no cp and unlimited ammo for example, on popular stock maps such as mos or citadel.

In addition to the regular format where you explain time/date planet to attack etc. you could have something like "Proposed Additional Server Options" which would list anything different from how the ICW servers are set up by default (like unlimited ammo, no bleed, etc) Clans would then negotiate the terms of battle so there would be no confusion.

Thanks, I added the server mods possibility. And I will make sure that the announcement template contains all the relevant information concerning deviations from default rules/settings.

Quote from: {212th} Norris on January 16, 2013, 08:13:43 PM
Awesom, thanks Oven!  :tu: I will sign on as Admin if you will have me.  :)
Sure

Cool i like the idea
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I Bet u'll say no, but, i'd like to sign as admin (if my clan mates feel like joining then, we'll join, but by now we would be 4, and that isnt rly cool :P
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

I would like to suggest that clans like YAK split up into smaller teams (such as 5v5 teams) to give clans more of a variety of people to fight. It could also help in getting more people involved and maybe some people out of inactivity.

I've added you Anyder. Folks, don't hesitate to become an admin: the longer the list, the less scheduling becomes a problem and the more choices each clan has.

Ares, your idea is sound and is in the spirit of what I hope will happen. This system, which I will give a catchy name soon, should allow for a much greater diversity in team possibilities than the tournaments. It is the most inclusive thing I could think of that is also organized and practical.

January 17, 2013, 07:55:01 AM #8 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:14:28 AM by {212}Lt.Com Johnis
What does an admin have to do.I know its a stupid question but I have never been one so Idk.If All they have to do is keep the peace during the match.Nvm I'll over heat during a map reset.
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

If you are need of an Admin I could help :P (if you want me to) Anyder, there is no limit because there is no limit to mercs so im sure you could get a few more at least :P

In UEF we are like bro's and we dont want merc. ;)
So im ok as Admin (in last ICW I could have administrated as I was only multiclans helper (multi helper), but oven said me no...
So I played as clans merc.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

January 17, 2013, 10:07:58 AM #11 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:10:04 AM by {PLA}gdh92
I think everyone, including myself has said their congratulations to FC and thanks to everyone for a great tournament but it should always be said again. :)
As for the weekly battles it sounds like a good idea, I don't know if I want the stress of organising things and being the one to make complaints again but I would certainly do my best to play if it was the same rules as the ICW. It's nice to play in large numbers and as part of a team rather than just aiming to top the leaderboard.

Quote from: Are§ on January 17, 2013, 06:16:45 AM
I would like to suggest that clans like YAK split up into smaller teams (such as 5v5 teams) to give clans more of a variety of people to fight. It could also help in getting more people involved and maybe some people out of inactivity.
I think while a clan like FC would have the members to split into individual groups YAK would find it hard, while it has members who do turn up regularly, a large amount of members (much like ELK), only turn up when I reminded them on X-fire although that improved alot in the 4th week.

Edit: If there were 5v5 battles it would mean smaller clans like FD, ALPHA and SNP could join which would mean plenty of variety.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I like the idea of weekly battles. I understand that we don't want to have a "winner" on the weekly battles, but would suggest having a clan "leaderboard" which would tally wins for each team over time. Either way is fine with me though as long as we play.

Quote from: SirPimped on January 17, 2013, 10:42:24 AM
I like the idea of weekly battles. I understand that we don't want to have a "winner" on the weekly battles, but would suggest having a clan "leaderboard" which would tally wins for each team over time. Either way is fine with me though as long as we play.
But thats basically showing who wins?

Quote from: {212} Nixo on January 17, 2013, 11:35:43 AM
But thats basically showing who wins?
Think of it as a way to encourage clans to participate on a weekly basis. It will basically be like standings with wins, losses, winning percentage, etc. I think this would get clans more involved. There would never be a winner, just a top of the standings kind of thing.