More SWBF2 please.

Started by Carbon27, July 15, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
 Sadly, I do not believe this site will last much longer in the state it is in. We need a lot more active players and modders to join the site. I think the only way to do this would be to make the focus of this site 50/50 between the two games. I'm not saying we should delete some topics dedicated to SWBF, but make some new ones for SWBF2. I also believe we need to heavily advertise this site on SWBF2 servers and SWBF2 clan sites after we get done with the transformation. I believe tournaments would be a great way to advertise our site too. I know you guys (Including Led) are thinking "ugh", but believe me, I hate this idea too. But I believe it's the only way for the site to continue. Please consider this with an open mind. if you have any ideas, please post them!  :)

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I'm not entirely sure why so many people have the mentality that SWBF is dying... I think it's doing rather well.  I've noticed more and more people on SWBF Tunngle in the past couple weeks.

We have an SWBF2 section, and Anyder has put up SWBF2 servers for us.  He's had a few people join. 

So, we have encouraged the SWBF2 people to come here. 

SWBF2 modding is very active at Gametoast, and I don't really think we can compete with them on that.  Since I don't play SWBF2 or mod for it, it is difficult for me to intuitively make our site more SWBF2 friendly, but I am willing to take suggestions.

As the part about this community dieing, well, it is probably as active as it ever has been.  As you teenagers grow up and do more exciting things with your time, we will have fewer visitors, but by then the reboot will be out for SWBF, and we might get a new crowd then.

In any event, I plan to keep this website up for as long as I am on this earth :P
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 15, 2013, 06:18:38 PM #3 Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:27:13 PM by Josh
I'm not entirely sure why so many people have the mentality that SWBF is dying... I think it's doing rather well.  I've noticed more and more people on SWBF Tunngle in the past couple weeks. -Shazam

Glad to hear, but when I see the status I see 16 people.

We have an SWBF2 section, and Anyder has put up SWBF2 servers for us.  He's had a few people join. 
[/quote] -Buckler

Emphasis on "an"  ;)

And, yes, that's great that Anyder made a server, but it's not for the updated version.

In any event, I plan to keep this website up for as long as I am on this earth :P -Buckler

If you keep doing what you did to your foot, that might not be very long.  :P

Sorry for there not being quotes, there's something screwed up with the forum.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I wouldn't say we are dying. This site is A LOT more active than Gametoast in terms of visits and posts per day. The thing is, SWBFI communities and SWBFII communities differ in a lot of ways and combining the two wouldn't really mix well. The vibe is different in everything from modding to just playing online. This site is a SWBFI site. But being a SWBFI site means that people are very friendly and are here just to have a good time.

I have attempted to integrate myself into GT like I have here but they just aren't the same. They delete my posts without a word and they disregard my new topics as being done before and redirect me to 3 year old topics.  :dry:

My point is, SWBFI communities and SWBFII communities are just different enough that they don't really mix. Yea they are the same game in some respects but the people that make up the game are a lot different. We are open to any and all SWBFII players but we are here for SWBFI (and other random things) so, of course, we don't care as much about the 2nd game.

If you want to attempt to make this site more SWBFII friendly then I suggest making new topics about the second game concerning modding and other things. Then you might attract more people.

We've got Twinkeyrunaway at the moment who is active in both communities. Perhaps we can ask him what to do to attract more SWBFII people?

Quote from: Buckler on July 15, 2013, 05:59:28 PM
As you teenagers grow up and do more exciting things with your time, we will have fewer visitors, but by then the reboot will be out for SWBF, and we might get a new crowd then
This is important to remember. Also the only current way to legally get SWBFI is to buy an actual disk. There is no download version. We also could focus our resources on SWBFI getting on steam. That is a major reason SWBFII is big as it is now. I believe that with SWBFI on steam we will get a lot more people on Tunngle and playing mods.

So after that long post I see 2 options to devote our resources with all this time we teens have before school starts:

1) Find ways to create a more SWBFII friendly community and ways to integrate everything for both games.

2) Devote time and resources to having SWBFI be sold on steam. This would easily create more players and finding ways to tell the steam purchasers about Tunngle wouldn't be that hard.

[spoiler]I choose option 2. SWBFII and steam are huge. Imagine SWBFI and steam. We would get huge amounts of traffic![/spoiler]

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 15, 2013, 06:30:40 PM
I wouldn't say we are dying. This site is A LOT more active than Gametoast in terms of visits and posts per day. The thing is, SWBFI communities and SWBFII communities differ in a lot of ways and combining the two wouldn't really mix well. The vibe is different in everything from modding to just playing online. This site is a SWBFI site. But being a SWBFI site means that people are very friendly and are here just to have a good time.

I have attempted to integrate myself into GT like I have here but they just aren't the same. They delete my posts without a word and they disregard my new topics as being done before and redirect me to 3 year old topics.  :dry:

My point is, SWBFI communities and SWBFII communities are just different enough that they don't really mix. Yea they are the same game in some respects but the people that make up the game are a lot different. We are open to any and all SWBFII players but we are here for SWBFI (and other random things) so, of course, we don't care as much about the 2nd game.

If you want to attempt to make this site more SWBFII friendly then I suggest making new topics about the second game concerning modding and other things. Then you might attract more people.

We've got Twinkeyrunaway at the moment who is active in both communities. Perhaps we can ask him what to do to attract more SWBFII people?
This is important to remember. Also the only current way to legally get SWBFI is to buy an actual disk. There is no download version. We also could focus our resources on SWBFI getting on steam. That is a major reason SWBFII is big as it is now. I believe that with SWBFI on steam we will get a lot more people on Tunngle and playing mods.

So after that long post I see 2 options to devote our resources with all this time we teens have before school starts:

1) Find ways to create a more SWBFII friendly community and ways to integrate everything for both games.

2) Devote time and resources to having SWBFI be sold on steam. This would easily create more players and finding ways to tell the steam purchasers about Tunngle wouldn't be that hard.

[spoiler]I choose option 2. SWBFII and steam are huge. Imagine SWBFI and steam. We would get huge amounts of traffic![/spoiler]

Well said. I like option 2 but I don't see how we can really affect a decision of putting SWBF on Steam.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Even with the gamespy shutdown, the site seems and feels more active than it was when I joined a couple of  years ago. I think the shutdown actually spurred a boom of sorts as folks started looking for multiplayer solutions.

I wasn't around (here) in SWBF's glory days, so I don't know how many millions of servers there were for PC.  I certainly wouldn't call it dead or dying though.  Of course, I'm not here for the multiplayer aspect of the game either.  That side of things is certainly smaller.

That said, I'm not terribly interested in SWBF2.  I'd need a new machine to play it and didn't like it that much on PS2.

tl;dr (Yeah, yeah I'm lazy.)

All I read was this site is dying. (And maybe a bit more.) All I can say is the site won't die unless we let it. I've stuck to this site for over two years and produced many mods for it. Most recently The Battle Royale. Now go back and look at the stats for 2011 before you came along sonny boy and then look at 2013's and tell me that the site is dying.

Move along now and stop believing that the site is "dying".

Quote from: tirpider on July 15, 2013, 09:32:33 PM

I wasn't around (here) in SWBF's glory days, so I don't know how many millions of servers there were for PC.
There were millions.

OT:
I should see if my new laptop can do modding. As for SWBF1 being on Steam, I wonder, if it did make it on Steam, would our copies work with their servers? I'm not too sure that they would. I know that you can add "non-steam games" (like SWBF2 and RC (I am mocking them for not actually letting me add them even though they have it in the store)).

July 16, 2013, 12:41:15 AM #9 Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:27:35 AM by UNIT 33
Hey it's one of these topics! Back in the MPC/CM days we had one of these a week, and I can certainly say that we're not in the same position as we were then.
We still have a core community of relatively friendly members who are still interested in blasting each other online or are content with churning out a mod every so often.

Sure I don't play as much as I used to because honestly I have more fun in TF2.
I know what you're thinking: "Burn the traitor!" But what we've got going here is pretty fine so I'm here for the duration to mod and stuff.

I don't think relying on "maybes" like SWBF on Steam is a good idea, but evolving the community to better receive the "definites" like SWBF:EA and SWBF2 is a good idea.
So it's a good thing we're doing that already.

Yes I'm reluctant to get SWBF2 because I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I did SWBF1 and you may find others to be similarly stubborn.
But I will instal it... later.

i'v noticed that alot of our boards are dedicated to swbf1, and while im not saying we should do this now, if we ever get a decent ammount of players that play swbf2 on pc, we should make mod factory and tournaments have a sub-board for each game.

Quote from: Roxas on July 15, 2013, 11:40:47 PM
I should see if my new laptop can do modding. As for SWBF1 being on Steam, I wonder, if it did make it on Steam, would our copies work with their servers? I'm not too sure that they would. I know that you can add "non-steam games" (like SWBF2 and RC (I am mocking them for not actually letting me add them even though they have it in the store)).
So you wouldn't spend $10-$15 to get another copy of SWBF to play online? I would.

I also wasn't around here in the game's glory days and I only played multiplayer for a short time. But that short time was very very fun and if there was any way I could play again I would.

I thought there was some sort of "request a game to be on Steam" thing.
Quote from: UNIT 33 on July 16, 2013, 12:41:15 AM
But I will instal it... later.
So never? ;)

We aren't "dying" but with this free time (teens and broken feet) we should do something!

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 16, 2013, 08:46:38 AM
I thought there was some sort of "request a game to be on Steam" thing.
The Steam green lighting system doesn't work that way, you can't just request random titles, the devs have to submit it themselves.
So never? ;)
Well I've ordered it. So later means next week maybe.

We aren't "dying" but with this free time (teens and broken feet) we should do something!

I AGREE!! Besides, this might be the last free summer I have before I start with a summer job next year (turning 17 this December anyway). I really hope to make the most of my time with this game, while I still can! On top of that, I also start Grade 11 this year, and chances are I won't be in-game at all! :( Though hey, if we can get SWBF on Steam, that would be epic! Besides, I've been pondering about getting Steam anyway, and I think SWBF might just do me over for it. :D

Quote from: UNIT 33 on July 16, 2013, 09:28:50 AM
The Steam green lighting system doesn't work that way, you can't just request random titles, the devs have to submit it themselves.

So then why don't we get Psych0fred to do it! He was one of the devs, and he could submit it! :D

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on July 16, 2013, 09:31:45 AM
So then why don't we get Psych0fred to do it! He was one of the devs, and he could submit it! :D
Er... when I say devs I meant whomever owns the license stuff... etc. Which is all very complicated.