Help with profile name

Started by Runucuelor, December 12, 2016, 03:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Good afternoon, does anyone know how to rename a profile in SWBF2 ?.
I have a profile on my pc but that name I do not like, and I do not want to lose my progress :ohmy: :( :'(, some idea. Thanks

There might be a tool for that.

But you can probably make some Hex edits, too.  I like xvi32.

Be sure to keep a safe backup copy though!
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

It is not possible. I tried very hard a long time ago to find a way but was unable. If you attempt to change the name in inside the file with hex editing, it will not load in the game. There are 4 bytes of data at top and maybe bottom of the file that sort of reflect total file size, name, progress etc and if you change the name you'd need to recalculate those 4 bytes of data to reflect your new profile name which no one has done.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Quote from: Anthony_b on December 12, 2016, 06:59:12 PM
It is not possible. I tried very hard a long time ago to find a way but was unable. If you attempt to change the name in inside the file with hex editing, it will not load in the game. There are 4 bytes of data at top and maybe bottom of the file that sort of reflect total file size, name, progress etc and if you change the name you'd need to recalculate those 4 bytes of data to reflect your new profile name which no one has done.
if you kept the name the same length could it work?

Quote from: Ltin on December 12, 2016, 07:17:12 PM
if you kept the name the same length could it work?

Nope. Tried and failed. :(
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Why not hex your brain instead? You could start here:

I think that belongs in the SWBF EA section, Joseph.

Anyway, I thought there was a tool for cheating the awards...idk
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Anthony_b on December 12, 2016, 06:59:12 PM
I'm not sure if this would work but what if you make a new profile with the name you wanted, then examine both .profile files and make the hex edits accordingly for all the sections. First 4 bytes, last 4 bytes, the name, and any other sections, excluding the 'progress' code wherever that is.

Renaming profiles seems to be impossible for SWBF1 also.

I tried with 2 new profiles, with the same configurations without any progress in the game, the only thing in which they are different is in the first lines and the last lines I changed that, but it does not work, and try to create a file from 0 in Hexadecimal with the same lines of one of the original profiles, with the same size, but also does not work.