Star Wars Battlefront hard revive idea

Started by 1ИCΘ6И17Θ, July 25, 2016, 01:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 25, 2016, 01:47:35 AM Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:01:20 AM by Incognito
Helloooo !

I'm a big Star Wars Battlefront fan (you must be already aware of that because why would I be here if not right ?)
And I had an idea.
Why not trying to port Star Wars Battlefront to a more modern and highly customisable engine ?
I was thinking about id tech 4, it would be perfect for that task, in addition there is a lot of assets of the original games we can recycle for that purpose, such as the maps and the textures !
What are you thinking of that ? I personally started to gather the necessary tools and I'll start to try to port the Citadel (my favorite map) for Doom 3, and I'll later try to make it standalone. I'll use RBDOOM 3
I know id Tech 3 would be a better choice for this since two Star Wars games use it but, wouldn't it be awesome to have it in a modern engine ?
The engines I am talking about are completely open source.
I almost forgot, there is a Call of Duty 4 mod named Galactic warfare, I think it's assets are available.
What are you thinking of that ?
Imagine a Battlefront like this....
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Fast paced and totally moddable.  ::)
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Porting would probably be too hard. I do like the idea though and I have always supported something like that.

There are already a couple of remakes coming out. One called "Star Wars Galaxy in Turmoil" and another is "Star Wars Battlecry" which both hope to remake Star Wars Battlefront in some way.
Star Wars Galaxy in Turmoil (by Frontwire Studios) are basing their mod off of Free Radical's Star Wars Battlefront 3 project that was evidently canceled. They hope to remake the models into that of their own and rewrite the code to improve it. Possibly redesign the maps too.
Star Wars Battlecry (by "Some Fans") are making a game from scratch. They started on CryEngine but then transferred it over to Unreal Engine 4. Their development has been slower than Frontwire Studios' but that's due to them having a smaller, less dedicated team. It is possible that this game could never be finished.

I hope these seem interesting to you ;)
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Indeed, several have attempted this idea and even more have thought of this  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The idea is very good, but like Led has said, some have tried but many have thought about this.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 25, 2016, 03:32:17 AM
Porting would probably be too hard. I do like the idea though and I have always supported something like that.

There are already a couple of remakes coming out. One called "Star Wars Galaxy in Turmoil" and another is "Star Wars Battlecry" which both hope to remake Star Wars Battlefront in some way.
Star Wars Galaxy in Turmoil (by Frontwire Studios) are basing their mod off of Free Radical's Star Wars Battlefront 3 project that was evidently canceled. They hope to remake the models into that of their own and rewrite the code to improve it. Possibly redesign the maps too.
Star Wars Battlecry (by "Some Fans") are making a game from scratch. They started on CryEngine but then transferred it over to Unreal Engine 4. Their development has been slower than Frontwire Studios' but that's due to them having a smaller, less dedicated team. It is possible that this game could never be finished.

I hope these seem interesting to you ;)
Extremely, but I have to admit that somehow saddens me.
I was talking about id tech 4 because it is lightweight and can run on a really wide range of pcs.
It features a Blender converter that will surely come in handy, this is an idea though, I don't know if yes or no it'll become serious and real, I'm gonna start tinkering around with Id tech 3 and 4,  to see what comes out of it :) .
It would be easy with the 3 though,  since Jedi academy and Outcast already use it (also the full code was released), but I'd like something modern looking, even if I wanna give it an old school gameplay.
Why the SWBF community wouldn't make it's own game ? After all We're all heavy duty fans around here.  :cheer:
Btw, I spent a great time of my childhood messing around with pk3 files of Jedi Outcast, what comes out of it is that the Zero engine works in a very similar manner.

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Incognito on July 25, 2016, 08:55:00 AM

Why the SWBF community wouldn't make it's own game ?

I will do everything here to encourage you.  I will make a private forum for your developers, give you a teamspeak voice channel, etc.

But I also suggest that you study the past efforts and understand why they ultimately have not produced a final product.

Force be with you.  :bow:

Also as I said it is an idea, this is what I do now, I try to see how everything will end up.
I try to see which engine is the more adequate, how harsh things will be on it.... That sort of thing.

RELEASE INCOMING

Okay, after a lot of thinking, I'll be using id tech 3 aka Jedi Knight's engine, it has a lot of material, assets, is open source, easy to mod and port, and an awesome community.  :tu:
It also still has awesome graphics despite its old age.
Again I'm not aiming visual perfection like COD, I want a game that can be modified, that is supple, and old school paced packed.
I wanna give it that feeling of the lone marine that fights for his survival on the battlefield.

Also guys, where do I upload my mods ? I've created 2 so far.

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Incognito on July 27, 2016, 02:19:32 PM
Also guys, where do I upload my mods ? I've created 2 so far.

You can upload your mods here:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=add
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Mod added ! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did !

To get back on the topic, Id tech 3 is able of showing beautiful graphics, look at that :

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RELEASE INCOMING

LucasFilm can and most likely will shut down any attempt to do Battlefront outside the original engines, at the insistence of EA. Galaxy In Turmoil is already changed, and I think Star Wars Battlecry is likely to be next, if it hasn't already folded.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

There is a way to bypass EA's control.

If a game that is like Battlefront is made, and is moddable. People (maybe the original game dev) could make mods that add Battlefront Star Wars stuff. As Modders can't be affected by EA that much.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Darth Nyx on August 07, 2016, 08:09:21 AM

If a game that is like Battlefront is made, and is moddable. People (maybe the original game dev) could make mods that add Battlefront Star Wars stuff. As Modders can't be affected by EA that much.

For anyone that reads this, keep in mind that it is best not to take legal advice from an internet forum  ;)

Many small fan projects fail because of low interest and lack of communication.

When you have a small team of volunteers, it only takes a few people to leave the project to kill it entirely.

It's also difficult to have a balanced group, often you'll get a whole load of ideas people and maybe two people that actually know what they're doing.

August 07, 2016, 09:18:31 AM #14 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:54:41 AM by Incognito
EA  :censored:

Anyway, what I have planned is to port Battlefront to the Jedi Outcast engine, I don't think they would care about a 15 years old engine game. :D
Quote from: Darth Nyx on August 07, 2016, 08:09:21 AM

Like Call of Duty Galactic Warfare, cool thing about using Id tech 3 is that there is already a lot of Star Wars materials ready to be used, so I guess it could pass as a mod for Jedi Knight rather than a standalone game.

Edit by Anyder: Dont disrespect or insult people here, please.

RELEASE INCOMING