thesyndicate.swbfgamers.com

Started by Led, April 21, 2015, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
OK, I have put up a placeholder index page at

http://thesyndicate.swbfgamers.com

We will have a little bit of work to figure out exactly how we want it built.  This is raw hosting, so we can upload our own html pages or we can try a word press or weebly site builder, of which I have used neither.

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hmm, well I have no idea how to use custom html, but usually site builders come with tutorials. It takes some time to get used to it, though.
-
I love the placeholder picture.  8)
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 21, 2015, 05:21:32 PM #2 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:37:38 PM by Led
OK, let's try weebly.

I may send you a password to access the account.

OK, weebly requires access to my hostgator account, so I likely won'g give that out.

Here are some other options we can try:

Billing Software
        WHMCS
    Blog Software
        LifeType
        WordPress
    Calendar Software
        WebCalendar
    Chat Software
        CraftySyntax
        phpFreeChat
        X7 Chat
    CMS Software
        b2evolution
        concrete5
        Drupal 6
        Drupal 7
        e107
        glFusion
        Hotaru
        Joomla
        liveSite
        Mambo
        Modx
        Nucleus
        ocPortal
        Open Atrium
        PHP-Nuke
        phpwcms
        Pligg
        Saurus CMS
        Textpattern
        Tiki
        Trendy Site Builder
        Typo3
        Xoops
        Zikula
    Directory Software
        DewNewPHPLinks
    eCommerce Software
        Magento
        phpCOIN
        PrestaShop
        SugarCRM
        TomatoCart
        vtiger CRM
        ZenCart
    eLearning Software
        Claroline
        Moodle
    ePortfolio Software Software
        Mahara
    Forum Software
        Advanced Electron Forum
        bbPress
        MyBB
        phpBB
        punBB
        Simple Machines Forum
    Gallery Software
        4images
        Coppermine
        Gallery
        Piwigo
        Pixelpost
        Zenphoto
    Guestbook Software
        Lazarus Guestbook
    Mail Software
        Dada Mail
        phpList
    Project Management Software
        dotProject
        PHProjekt
    Push Software
        Z-Push
    Social Networking Software
        Elgg
        Jcow
        ThinkUp
    Support Software
        MantisBT
        OpenDocMan
        osTicket
        phpMyFAQ
    Survey Software
        Advanced Poll
        LimeSurvey
        phpESP
    Wiki Software
        MediaWiki
        PmWiki
        Wikka

Quote from: Led on April 21, 2015, 05:21:32 PM
OK, let's try weebly.

I may send you a password to access the account.

OK, weebly requires access to my hostgator account, so I likely won'g give that out.

Oh, yeah that's a no.

Well, I don't recognize most of these. Does WordPress require the password?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

WordPress is quite basic but I think you can have multiple accounts for it and an admin account. To edit the site you just add wp-admin to the Web address and log in with your user name.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

April 22, 2015, 08:06:43 AM #5 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:11:50 AM by Gold Man
While we have more than a handful of site builders and the like to pick from, how about we decide the following:

• What will the website contain? (what information/links/etc.?)
  • How will the website look? (portal like SWBFGamers? Something else?)
  • What sort of color/theme will the website have? (what appearance will the website have? Bare-bones? Fancy?)
  • Other ideas? (A full forum? A guestbook? A webpage for history? Custom-looking cursor?)
Just saying, perhaps we should decide what it is we will end up doing, and then figure out what service would be able to accomodate our ideas.

Good idea, GM. Well, when I think of a Syndicate I think of some kind of dark color scheme, maybe blue and black or something.

As for pages.. There would need to be a page for the tenets, a page for current clans involved, a redirect to swbfgamers. I think a guestbook is unnecessary, it would probably just get spammed. The home page could have general information about the Syndicate. So, pretty basic pages.

It doesn't need to be too fancy, but should still draw the eye a bit.

So, I'm not sure which one is capable of that.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

In the meantime, how about a new placeholder picture?

Also, I noticed you used my picture. :P (Not "my" picture, but it was the one I uploaded.)
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Quote from: Snake on April 22, 2015, 08:58:50 AM
Good idea, GM. Well, when I think of a Syndicate I think of some kind of dark color scheme, maybe blue and black or something.

As for pages.. There would need to be a page for the tenets, a page for current clans involved, a redirect to swbfgamers. I think a guestbook is unnecessary, it would probably just get spammed. The home page could have general information about the Syndicate. So, pretty basic pages.

It doesn't need to be too fancy, but should still draw the eye a bit.

So, I'm not sure which one is capable of that.
Agreed, perhaps a deep blue/black would work. If we knew someone who was good at designing websites, perhaps we could have the theme geared towards an Imperial appearance (I'm talking like CSS coding really). If we want to go more for a seedy, outlander type of look, that might work too. Or just something unique entirely (akin to crime syndicates like Black Sun).

As for the webpages, some general info would indeed work. Nothing that would require membership, of course.

I know Weebly allows CSS template editing, so you can make your own webpage from the ground up with CSS if you really want to. Though in terms of all of this, I suppose we could start exploring options.

Quote from: Gold Man on April 22, 2015, 09:35:37 AM
Agreed, perhaps a deep blue/black would work. If we knew someone who was good at designing websites, perhaps we could have the theme geared towards an Imperial appearance (I'm talking like CSS coding really). If we want to go more for a seedy, outlander type of look, that might work too. Or just something unique entirely (akin to crime syndicates like Black Sun).

As for the webpages, some general info would indeed work. Nothing that would require membership, of course.

I know Weebly allows CSS template editing, so you can make your own webpage from the ground up with CSS if you really want to. Though in terms of all of this, I suppose we could start exploring options.

I think a kinda diffuse blue, with a dark grey (almost black) would be good for the colors. I'd also suggest trying to keep it simple with less clutter to start with. The thing about the colors is you want it to give enough contrast to the rest of the page that it gives enough definition (to what ever font you end up using), but not so much that people get blinded when reading it late at night.

For the actual layout I'd just try and give it basic organization (not too many subdivided topics) since you could add in more as needed. In short, my advice is to keep it simple and to the point as much as possible. Can always tack on more later as needed but then people wont get bogged down when arriving for the first time.
photobucket limit image removed

April 22, 2015, 02:45:30 PM #10 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM by Unit 33
Ok guys, the simple rule when talking about aesthetics is: show don't tell.

Post some examples of websites that you like to look of, that'll help get your ideas across.

p.s. I don't like the name 'Syndicate' so I'm going to refer to it as 'The Groovy Group' from now on.

I kinda like the look of the AF website. Well, the color scheme.

Syndicate -- The Groovy Group. It's basically the same..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Norwood on April 22, 2015, 09:23:16 AM
In the meantime, how about a new placeholder picture?

Also, I noticed you used my picture. :P (Not "my" picture, but it was the one I uploaded.)

okies, its up!

For making webpages, I find a program called "sea monkey" that is really easy to use.
You can save the files on your hard drive, then I can upload them to the site.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

It is what I used to make the place holder page.

April 22, 2015, 03:53:30 PM #13 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:24:27 PM by Snake
I'll give it a go.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Here is a pic that I made and thought would be pretty good for a placeholder.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."