Cataclysm looks pretty good.

Started by [FIR] TREE, December 07, 2010, 08:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
As a world-ranked tank, I'm excited and happy about a lot of the changes in Cataclysm. In order to make the game feel "new" again, I ditched all of my money, bind-on-account heirloom armor, rare pets and epic mounts. The new quest areas are wonderful for low levels and have really given a brand new experience to what used to be just a grind.

For anyone considering a return to Wow, I strongly recommend it with this expansion, after having quit myself last February at the peak of raiding season.

Although for your health I also recommend creating a stand-up station :raje:

Mods: Can you move this topic to the Blizzard forum? Sorry!

I have to say it does look nice, while I have not played anything more then the free trail |horribly limited :(| This might trick me into trying it again!

Moved :)
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

I saw the trailer and the part of me thats still addicted went berserk. We'll see, it is definitely pulling on me.

Just because you think something is fun doesn't mean you're addicted :)

It's fantastic!

I actually just ran out of time the other day (:cry:) but I'm getting Cata at Christmas, so I'll be able to level my 80 after that.

But the questing is SOOO much better from what I've seen so far levelling some of my lowbies (the content was applied in game a week or two before Cata came out). They really made the game more fun!

No, I was def. addicted. It became I "needed" to play. Like I'd go on vacation and stress about not playing because I was falling behind in the grind for more gear.

That's a very different experience than I had. After 2 years, gear stopped being an issue because I am always on the bleeding edge of progression. Once you get to that point, and have a full set of whatever the current i-level is, there's nothing else to get and showing up becomes a drag. It's true - nobody wants to go to a raid where there is nothing for them. That's why its so important for guild leaders and loot council to spread out the gear. Otherwise, the people who have everything stop feeling the pressure and need to play as passionately as possible.

However, I have sort of experienced what you mean in the area of money making. I feel a pull at times to mine or herb and play the Auction House - which is a whole different game in itself.

But as I may have mentioned elsewhere, being on top is not really a sustainable life practice. A lot of things get sacrificed - health, quality of work, grades perhaps, and friendships. Addiction is less of an issue than the results of a cost-benefit analysis for top-tier players.

It was the badges for heroics, and heroics being on a one day cd - I had become much more casual at the end of of my WotLK days, so wasn't doing heroic raids etc, but I felt the need to keep up with my friends, and that could involve running heroics daily, and that was like 5+ hrs alone, and I just didn't feel it was rewarding.

I wanted to post an update about how easy it is to level now.

I was intimidated by the idea of going 0 - 85 now - sounds awful right? - but I was able to pull 0-70 in 26 hours as a prot paladin with a dedicated ele/resto shaman. From 1-50, dungeons provide more XP than questing, but since 51-70 contains many large chains with blue rewards, it is important not to skip the quest lines as they will provide the most XP and gear benefits.

In order to benefit from rested XP from 70-85, my leveling partner and I have started another healer/tank pair and I am quickly becoming convinced that this is the way to go. The fastest way to quest in Wow is to have the tank gather large groups of mobs - 10+ is possible with prot paladins and druids - and AOE them down. The fastest pair is prot pally/ele sham, but I also recommend feral druid/ret paladin and blood dk/shadow priest.

PCgamer said cataclysm is one of the best add-ons they have played

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon