SWBF1.2 Internet Multiplayer Patch Tutorial

Started by Phobos, April 30, 2013, 02:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 06, 2013, 01:52:00 PM #30 Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:06:43 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: CanaDerp on May 06, 2013, 12:25:17 PM
Hey Buckler, I'm GMs friend with the computer. I was wondering if I could somehow get one of those emulators that run OSs and run it on my computer and run MySQL on it and through that run the SWBF servers, if possible?

The source code is out there, you are free to try it.  That said, in the end, we can have only one master server, and I will support either openspy or one that SK develops.

Quote from: StoneCold on May 06, 2013, 01:13:57 PM
If he manages to compile that code then it would be extremely awesome. I'm pretty sure it can be implemented for many more Gamespy games other than SWBF, which is why I'm interested in it as well.

But before I can have a crack at that, the code must be compiled obviously. I asked a colleague of mine to take a look at it. He said that the nearly all of the Linux code was there, and that there were some Win32 libraries, but there wasn't a lot of progress made on the Windows side to get it compiled unfortunately  :(

But holding thumbs that Sleepkiller can work some magic for us  :D

Yes, I believe that it is close, and it has not been easy due to missing libraries and such.  As I mentioned in the previous post, just like in Highlander, "There can be only one".
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Guess what....                    IT WORKS!  :rock1:

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Josh on May 07, 2013, 10:16:53 AM

Do tell us what you did to get it to work--or rather tell us what you did wrong first :P

I needed winzip, and I did pretty much everything wrong because I didn't know I needed winzip. To bad nobody is like ever on openspy.

Quote from: Josh on May 07, 2013, 10:16:53 AM

Please do share it with us, would love to run my own Openspy server  :)

Quote from: StoneCold on May 07, 2013, 11:14:26 AM
Please do share it with us, would love to run my own Openspy server  :)

He's not talking about the server, he is talking about the player patch--the original topic of this thread  ;)

Quote from: Buckler on May 07, 2013, 11:29:23 AM
He's not talking about the server, he is talking about the player patch--the original topic of this thread  ;)

Whoops, my bad  :slap: :slap:

Quote from: Buckler on May 07, 2013, 11:29:23 AM
Well this topic also addresses server patching but not in depth as we are still figuring out the best approach for it.

Ive got a friend who says he cannot save the HOSTS file with windows vista (he runned the file as admin, but he cant save the file)
Any idea ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on May 07, 2013, 12:50:21 PM
Ive got a friend who says he cannot save the HOSTS file with windows vista (he runned the file as admin, but he cant save the file)
Any idea ?

Make sure that hes not using Notepad--it will automatically put .txt at the end of the file, and if extensions are hidden, you will never see the .txt.

Then, check to make sure that nothing is going on with the Windows Virtual Store, or with protecting operating systems files.

That's all I've got.

Quote from: Buckler on May 07, 2013, 12:57:44 PM
Make sure that hes not using Notepad--it will automatically put .txt at the end of the file, and if extensions are hidden, you will never see the .txt.

Then, check to make sure that nothing is going on with the Windows Virtual Store, or with protecting operating systems files.

That's all I've got.
umm right ill tell him
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

It does work on Vista, as I used it on my Vista computer at home.
When you download it, it should run, no problem.  Vista just gave me an "Are you sure?" prompt.
Just try it ingame to make sure it didn't already install. :)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

For some reason it won't work, it just stays at busy 0%, anyone else with this issue?

yes, there is some problem at the moment.  Thus the interest in getting our own operational.

Ah, To bad my mom wanted me only to play an hour, so I squandered it all on trying to get it to work. :( well, hope it gets up and running again.