SWBF1 Clan Confederation In EA's SWBF

Started by Snake, March 10, 2011, 02:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Indeed, and Led already has shown there is the possibility to make subdomains within the SWBFGamers domain. Perhaps The Syndicate could be apart of a subdomain of this site (e.g., syndicate.swbfgamers.com).

Or we could do as you said, have a main page redirect to here.

April 21, 2015, 12:51:37 PM #91 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:56:08 PM by Led
Yes, I have "unlimited" subdomains, and already have

games.swbfgamers.com
pla.swbfgamers.com

active at the moment.

I am not exactly what the best way to organize more subdomains would be, but there are a lot of possibilities.  My preference would be to not have a whole bunch of independent forums, but rather to provide a link back to this site where we have private forums boards for clans now, should someone want to use them.  (It makes it easier to back up the site and database that way.)

I could provide a basic portal like GM mentioned for whatever groups wanted one as a subdomain with the stipulation that they abide by our community standards.

I can also foresee that some clans would want to have their own completely private and independent space anyway, although I can say that I have never taken even a peek into any private clan forum (other than PLA) on this website.

Maybe the best option for now would be to create a subdomain and let someone interested in designing it have control of the subdomain and see what can be done.

Fortunately, we have been a fairly stable site and have not really had any issues, so let's hope it continues :)

My like Syyy has already said about BW, as a clan member of PLA (which I hope to continue into the new SWBF) that I would not want to give up my clan tags for PLA or our independence, but it would be nice to have a gathering place for the old SWBF players and new ones to "mingle" and organize.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quotea community of old SWBF players playing with the same tags on. Everyone would have their own rules, ranks, recruitment, etc. but we could all come together and form tournaments and game nights and other typical clan stuff only for the clans involved.

Yes I agree completely, but as Led said, some players feel involved in their previous clan and would like to preserve its legacy. It would be "a gathering place for the old SWBF players and new ones to "mingle" and organize" ( Led's words ) without needing to use a specific tag. As a player, I would be Syrion, member of the BW clan, which is a part of the Syndicate community, a union of multiple clans striving to play together, organize events and represent SWBFGamers.com as a whole. We already have our personnal forum, but as I've done for past events, I am the link between SWBF1 events and their ( BW members ) participation. I think such group is important to strenghen the link between players and build/grow our community.

April 21, 2015, 03:35:37 PM #93 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:52:08 PM by Snake
Excellently put. Alright, I have made an outline for it.

-We will have a Syndicate subdomain here
-Clans are to wear their original tags and operate as usual, unless they can wear 2 tags(depending on how EABF's clan support is set up), in which case they will also wear Syndicate tags (tags will be decided later)
-There will be community-wide events and tournaments (clan and individual)
-Those events will be created by anyone in the Syndicate, and proposed to a representative of every clan for approval
-Only former SWBF1 or 2 clans are allowed to join
-Amendments must be approved by 2/3 of the clan representatives
-Clans can have their own rules, however they must abide by the SWBFGamers community standards as well (at least on the Syndicate or SWBFGamers websites)

How does that sound?
--
I decided to write an official founding document(it's just one page), it is attached for proofing. I had to change it to Word 2003 to upload it for some reason.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I can smell the clan politics and clan democracy already... :)

Sounds fair and well, I agree with all terms. Just curious, how would matters (e.g., a clan member who disobeys the SWBFGamers tenets, but follows the clan's tenets) be handled? It would be interesting to see how such matters would be decided upon.

April 21, 2015, 09:06:44 PM #95 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:11:36 PM by Snake
Good point, I haven't thought of that. In general, if one member does something wrong, we will go with the 3 strike system. After the third strike, their leadership will be notified, and they can handle it how they want. If it continues after that, one more warning will be given to the leadership, then after that they'll have to boot the person. If the entire clan goes against the tenets after 3 strikes they'll be booted from the Syndicate. The rules aren't difficult to follow, and they only have to be followed under certain conditions (for individuals), so there's no reason they can't cooperate. The tenets of the Syndicate include the SWBFGamers rules when using either websites or official events, so it will count as violating one of the Syndicate tenets.

I will add the punishments to the document later.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

In my opinion, players should do whatever they want to do, but if they post on SWBFgamers or a subdomain with public access, it needs to stay "clean".  You can do whatever you want in  SWBFgamers private clan forums as long as it doesn't break any laws or put the site at risk :)

Time will tell if there is any interest in the "super-clan" concept.  I am willing to provide the access to snake or anyone else that wants to try.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on April 21, 2015, 09:11:40 PM
In my opinion, players should do whatever they want to do, but if they post on SWBFgamers or a subdomain with public access, it needs to stay "clean".  You can do whatever you want in  SWBFgamers private clan forums as long as it doesn't break any laws or put the site at risk :)

Time will tell if there is any interest in the "super-clan" concept.  I am willing to provide the access to snake or anyone else that wants to try.

This was my point on this too. The only way people will agree to this system if they have freedom over their own clans. The idea is unifying the communication/organizational structure so that everyone has a common ground to meet on. I wanted to open this up to any clans (new or old). Because really this shouldn't even have to limit to any one group as long as they abide by the Syndicate's site rules as a whole. If it gets any traction it will also encourage fair play, as any clans that "play dirty" would basically be black listed by all the other clans.

Why does this idea remind me of the EU?  :XD:
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: Epifire on April 21, 2015, 09:40:47 PM
This was my point on this too. The only way people will agree to this system if they have freedom over their own clans. The idea is unifying the communication/organizational structure so that everyone has a common ground to meet on. I wanted to open this up to any clans (new or old). Because really this shouldn't even have to limit to any one group as long as they abide by the Syndicate's site rules as a whole. If it gets any traction it will also encourage fair play, as any clans that "play dirty" would basically be black listed by all the other clans.

Why does this idea remind me of the EU?  :XD:
I think a unity between new and old would actually work far better. In a way, the abundance of such a super clan would cause newcomers to want to join the old ones, while simultaneously, the new clans may want some help in building up their clans, so they would side with us. In a way I guess, the superclan would be a sort of "popularity tag" for clans that are in union with it.

We have to remember though, this game's been in waiting for over a decade. It will have such a massive community at launch, we'll need to consider how a government of around 60+ clan leaders is going to operate effectively. It could get muddy real fast if we have such a large number of united clans (unless we plan to turn this super clan into a "Battlefrontain" United Nations :P).

I think we should keep it at SWBF1&2 clans only for now, then if other clans want to join in when the game comes out, we can go about amending it.

So here's the bottom line we've got so far,

Clans are totally independent, the only difference is they are part of a group that, if everyone participates, will make their recruiting skyrocket, provide events and tournaments, and basically just make clans in the Syndicate look awesome.
In return, clans participate in as many events and discussions as they can, they obey the few simple rules, and wear Syndicate tags if the game allows for 2 separate tags.

It seems like a great deal to me. It's like the early days of the United States, all the colonies banded together to become exponentially stronger, yet held their independence.

If the clan membership gets really high, maybe we can separate clans into even groups and have them vote on one representative for that group.

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Hmm, dividing the whole clan community into groups might turn people's heads though. Yes there would be a representative voted for by people of said group, but the difficulty then lies in how the enire hierarchy works efficiently. Perhaps a council for said groups would be easier to manage, or at least more accountable than one man in charge. Kind of like how the Republic had systems with representatives and other councilmen alongside them, to help in debating about the galaxy's laws and such.

It's funny the more I think of this, I never cared for American politics, and yet here I am as a Canadian talking about politics like an American. :P

April 22, 2015, 11:56:35 AM #101 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:16:43 PM by Snake
That's s good idea, but I think we will just try to keep it at one representative each for now, I doubt there will be so many clans involved that it would be a problem.

Yeah, when talking about freedom and independence while also united, one can't help but sound american.  :P

--

Attached is the revised document
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 24, 2015, 08:50:45 AM #102 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:20:30 AM by Snake
Bump and Update

I have been talking with a lot of PS2 players about the Syndicate idea, and for some reason, though I may try to explain, they think that clans are being dumped into one giant clan. Let me say again, all clans have their own sovereignty. The Syndicate is mutualistic, meaning all clans involved gain from it. There's like 3 stipulations and they're all amazingly easy to follow. Clans don't have to change anything at all. They just get exclusive tournaments and events, and will gain in recruitment and general fun. Also membership retention will be way better if all the clans participate in Syndicate events. It's a win-win. No one is in control, it's just a clan club.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I really like the idea.. When (C4) gets up and running, definitely count us in.
Crazy people do not know they are crazy. I know that I am crazy, therefore I'm not crazy!! Isn't that crazy?!?

April 24, 2015, 11:46:17 AM #104 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:58:50 PM by Snake
Well, I brought the idea to Gamtoast. I couldn't use the PM feature so I wasn't able to ask if it was alright to post, so instead I said if they didn't want the links they could remove them and I would copy and paste the important info there. Instead they just deleted the whole thread. That's why I didn't reach out to them before.

--

Apparently the post was moved to a quarantine board but there's no reason for it to be put back. I think some PS2 clans may join but it looks like none of the SWBF2-only clans will join. That's alright, though, the original idea was for SWBF1 only. The problem was that some SWBF1 clans moved to SWBF2 and it would be unfair not to include the other SWBF2 clans.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder