Thoughts on Possible DLC/Season Pass Marketing

Started by 411Remnant, December 02, 2013, 07:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 02, 2013, 07:39:48 AM Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:30:10 PM by 411Remnant
http://segmentnext.com/2013/12/01/star-wars-battlefront-will-revisit-iconic-battle-scenes-films/

I think we all know that EA will take the DLC/Season Pass approach with this new Battlefront, just like they have done with Battlefield and other titles. Would it effect your decision to purchase Battlefront if paid DLC was introduced almost immediatly after launch? What are your thoughts on this market practice in genreral.

Personally, it might effect my purchase a little bit. I know a buisseness needs to make money but at what expense? Most likely ill buy it used and then sell it before a game of the year editiion is released.(That is of course if they do it like activsion has done it, though I doubt they will try it like that). That's just me though, what are your gentlmen's thoughts on it?
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

My one hope is that they release a DLC that includes ALL SWBFI & SWBFII maps for the reboot. Other's I'll only buy if they look cool to me. How much is the average DLC? What is a "season pass"?

I always do my best to avoid DLC unless it either adds a lot to a good game or comes out a long time after. For me DLC that is available at launce is a terrible thing as it should be released with the game 90% of the time although it brings up the difficult question of what the right price is for a game and how much content should developers/publishers give you for that price before they charge extra...

To be honest unless it turns out appallingly bad battlefront will be a day 1 purchase for me whatever happens but it's unlikely I'll buy DLC unless it is a significant addition to the game. Hopefully we'll have mod maps to do that anyway. ;)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on December 02, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
My one hope is that they release a DLC that includes ALL SWBFI & SWBFII maps for the reboot. Other's I'll only buy if they look cool to me. How much is the average DLC? What is a "season pass"?
A season pass is usually bought with the game and gives you access to all DLC, normally early and for free. They can also give you extra features (stats etc).
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on December 02, 2013, 09:23:00 AM
A season pass is usually bought with the game and gives you access to all DLC, normally early and for free. They can also give you extra features (stats etc).

I would buy a Season Pass for SWBF. Believe me, I'm that hardcore for the new Battlefront, I'd buy the season pass. Heck, I'd pre-order it! :D

Season Pass and DLCs are almost guaranteed whether you like it or not. As long as they don't make the game pay2win, I have no problem with DLC. Most likely it will be DLC maps and maybe an exclusive weapon or two. "Shortcut packs" are also probably expected. As long as the same unlocks can be obtained normally, the game should be able to survive with DLC.

#TYBG

December 20, 2013, 10:51:59 PM #5 Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:54:28 PM by hippox99
God I hate the whole concept of DLCs. Sure it can be done right, but mostly it's just a disgusting business model that exploits people. I don't understand how people can be so non-critical of how they spend their money and what the consequences thereof are. Why would you ever buy a season pass of DLCs when you don't even know the actual content thereof? It doesn't make sense. First day DLCs? Utterly retarded. Fragmented releases with different DLC content included? Utterly retarded.

Give us real expansions instead and don't be a DLC whore.

Tell us something we don't know, hippox99.

#TYBG

I like the idea of DLC. Look at how the game is played and make downloads to match the community and add cool things to the game.

I hate buying the game, and then paying for it all over again through dlc.
Unfortunatly I will probably end up buying the season pass.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

I used to be very critical about the concept of DLC, then I realized I don't have to buy it and for the most part not buying DLC doesn't detract from games.

The only games I've bought DLC for was Street Fighter IV and Max Payne 3. And that's because both games the DLC were 75% off and I don't care too much about a couple of bucks.

#TYBG

My five minutes on DLC.

If it's day one it is an evil sick money grab. Ship the game complete, don't split it up just to make money.

If it's made after the game has come out I am all cool with it. It costs money to make that content, thus it should cost money to play it. (One could argue that it should be funded with the profits from the game. But keep in mind thanks to capitalism most of that money is going back into the people who funded the game in the first place wallet.) The exception to the rule is a F2P game like TF2 that has a constant stream of revenue and isn't made by a publicly traded company thus all content is free.

As aeria said it doesn't actually detract from the game not having it. It's made after the game comes out. it is there to expand your game with new playing possibilities if you want it. Don't want it? Fair enough, but don't complain about it and don't buy it.

December 28, 2013, 09:29:00 PM #10 Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:32:48 PM by 411Remnant
"  if It's made after the game comes out."

Hey if they go that route im alright with that.(I myself have no problem with DICE having that pure kind of intention, though thier higher ups is who whom im concerned with). I still think as long as it isn't mindless accusations, people have a right to voice thier opinion about it.

December 28, 2013, 09:35:07 PM #11 Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:56:16 PM by St. Nick Fisto
I think the thing that people off in general is DLC day of release stuff.
Hopfully this
Quote from: 411Remnant on December 28, 2013, 09:29:00 PM
"  if It's made after the game comes out."
doesn't happen.

doesn't happen? lol I think thats what you were going to finish saying.(Or at least that is what this market sometimes makes people like myself feel sometimes). Bethesda seems to be one of those few companies that really does make DLC after a game was made. I wish more companies took that approach, or at least turn new ideas into a whole new game more often then making add ons.(Which happens to occasionally)