Back to the Basics - Map Making Contest 2022

Started by iamastupid, April 12, 2022, 05:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 12, 2022, 05:40:41 AM Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:27:11 PM by iamastupid
Back to the Basics - Map Making Contest 2022

We've had map making contests that limited your time severely, we've had contests that required you to fit in some specific assets, we've had contests based around a specific theme.
This time, we're limiting your ability to mod down to the very basic zeroeditor functions - or as close as I am willing to go.

The entry criteria for the 'Back to the Basics' contest is that you can only modify and add files to the 'Worlds' directory of your data_ folder. No lua, no sides, no addme, not even loadscreens can be modified in any way (conventionally) - I will however permit modification of localization files (Core.lvl) in case anyone makes a typo or wants to rename their map mid-development, I'm not a monster.
This contest is not about avoiding use of Zeroeditor or anything, just wanna clear that up - you can do whatever you want in zeroeditor and other tools but you just can't modify anything inside the Shell, Common, Side, Addme, etc folders - just worlds)
What you do with the world files is up to you, just know that yes - without lua. your ability to add new command posts, vehicles and units is severely limited. That's the point after all.
This is the most basic map making contest, for basic maps.
There will actually be structure to the judging this year, benefiting both those who do more and those who do less.
No idea on who will be judging it yet, both entrants and randoms are permitted to ask regarding joining the judging panel.

The judging criteria follows:
  • 1-5 on map's visuals (Theme, graphics, visual consistency)
  • 1-5 on map's gameplay (How it plays, how fun it is)
  • 1-5 on map's technical complexity (What's included, how things have been done.)

Bonus points will be awarded for:
  • Not moving the standard objects included with new world creation (CPs, CTF items.)
  • Points for supporting each standard gamemode. (Obviously this is only limited to the core 4 included with visualmunge world creation.)
  • Keeping the stock yavin sky and terrain textures (Combo only, but remember you could still lose points from visuals dependant on judges.)
  • Creative use of the limitations applied to the contest (Finding loopholes or doing something different.)
  • Usage of custom assets created for the contest (This only applies to custom assets made during the contest run time specifically for your entries.)
  • Creative usage of stock assets (This is based on impressing judges with usage.)

Regarding custom assets:
Anything goes.

Back to the Basics Map entries must be submitted by the end of May 4th with some wiggle room for delayed entries with good enough reasons. Source files will also need to be supplied and a open google drive will be available for those lacking upload space, the source files need to be uploaded by May 6th. Judging will follow shortly after May 4th at the earliest convenient time for judges.
The contest technically starts the moment you finish reading all this information, so yeah - that's a lot of time to work on entries. Good luck and have fun!
-Multiple entries are allowed and encouraged.
If you are entering I suggest joining the Gametoast server or responding here.

>One last reminder that the contest is already in progress and you can start working on your entry immediately if you want to. Just make sure it is submitted to me by May 4th 2022

Good luck to everyone taking part in this contest :)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com