Jets and Weapons; How to Modify?

Started by Ascertes, October 13, 2016, 04:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Greetings fellow SWBFGamers! Today I bring to you an issue that has been continuing to plague me for my upcoming space map.

First off, I'm having issues modifying the jetpack. I've been trying to modify this chunk of code out of the standard Jet Trooper ODF for my new unit:
ControlSpeed        = "jet    1.50 1.25 1.25"

JetJump             = "5.0" //7 //The initial jump-push given when enabling the jet
JetPush             = "8.0" //The constant push given while the jet is enabled (20 is gravity)
JetAcceleration     = "30.0" //Acceleration while hovering.
JetEffect           = "rep_sfx_jetpack"
JetType             = "hover"
JetFuelRechargeRate = "0.12" //Additional fuel per second (fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelCost         = "0.16" //Cost per second when hovering (only used for jet-hovers)(fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelInitialCost  = "0.25" //initial cost when jet jumping(fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelMinBorder    = "0.24" //minimum fuel to perform a jet jump(fuel is 0 to 1)

Of these variables, I've been having problems with JetPush and JetAcceleration. It's as if these values do nothing, no matter how much I change them (I bumped each of them up to *320* and found no change.) Does anyone know how to change the functionality of the jetpack?

For my second issue, I've been trying to figure out how to modify stock weapons. I think the problem is that for the hierarchy they all lead to files in the Common side folder. However, when I edit these files, no changes appear in game. I guess I'm just looking for a little help on how to modify stock weapons.

While I'm thinking about it, would anyone know how to set up the Hangar voice overs that play when you enter them?
Example:
"Victor Echo 1-2. Come in, repeat: Victor Echo 1-2!"

Or how about the rumbles that sometimes happen when you're inside a ship?
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

October 13, 2016, 07:56:23 PM #1 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:23:30 AM by tab328
By no means am I well versed in what to do, nor qualified to answer (being that I joined today), BUT I'm curious. Well, few things: I assume the dark trooper and jet trooper use the same jetpack thing, so if so, I'm wondering how they differ and whether that would give some insight, since dark troopers go up fast, and slowly side to side as opposed to jet troopers going up slowly and fast side to side.

Just a thought, not that I really know anything about it!  :shrug:

Edit: And I just realized this is swbf2 we're talking about, which I've played naught more than a round or two at a friend's. Don't mind me! :shrug:

October 14, 2016, 06:41:46 AM #2 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:44:36 AM by Dark_Phantom
Quote from: Ascertes on October 13, 2016, 04:20:38 PM
Greetings fellow SWBFGamers! Today I bring to you an issue that has been continuing to plague me for my upcoming space map.

First off, I'm having issues modifying the jetpack. I've been trying to modify this chunk of code out of the standard Jet Trooper ODF for my new unit:
ControlSpeed        = "jet    1.50 1.25 1.25"

JetJump             = "5.0" //7 //The initial jump-push given when enabling the jet
JetPush             = "8.0" //The constant push given while the jet is enabled (20 is gravity)
JetAcceleration     = "30.0" //Acceleration while hovering.
JetEffect           = "rep_sfx_jetpack"
JetType             = "hover"
JetFuelRechargeRate = "0.12" //Additional fuel per second (fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelCost         = "0.16" //Cost per second when hovering (only used for jet-hovers)(fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelInitialCost  = "0.25" //initial cost when jet jumping(fuel is 0 to 1)
JetFuelMinBorder    = "0.24" //minimum fuel to perform a jet jump(fuel is 0 to 1)

Of these variables, I've been having problems with JetPush and JetAcceleration. It's as if these values do nothing, no matter how much I change them (I bumped each of them up to *320* and found no change.) Does anyone know how to change the functionality of the jetpack?
I'm unfamiliar with how SWBF2 handles jetpacks - I would assume the same as SWBF1, which is what I actually know.  If so, then there is a chance that you are not replacing the right file (if you are just replacing stock, make sure you are on a map that uses stock sides), or, the slightly more likely situation is that the Virtual Store is holding on to your files (or your munge is not happening correctly - check to see the last changed date on your "final file").  You are at the correct section of code, and I would try changing other factors like jet recharge rate and skins to see if they are being affected.

@tab328:
The main difference is that Jet Trooper has a "Hover" setting enabled (see JetType).  Dark Troopers do not.  Also, Dark Troopers have a higher jump (21.0 is the value), which is why they fly high and why it is sometimes referred to as a jump pack instead of a jet pack, but the dark trooper doesn't have a constant push, so they just come back down after the initial jump.  There is also no fuel cost for a dark trooper per second because it is just one jump.

For my second issue, I've been trying to figure out how to modify stock weapons. I think the problem is that for the hierarchy they all lead to files in the Common side folder. However, when I edit these files, no changes appear in game. I guess I'm just looking for a little help on how to modify stock weapons.

Common is probably experiencing the same issue as above.  Make sure Virtual Store is cleaned out and that the file is actually munging correctly.  Note that a few custom maps have their own common supplied that they will call on.

While I'm thinking about it, would anyone know how to set up the Hangar voice overs that play when you enter them?
Example:
"Victor Echo 1-2. Come in, repeat: Victor Echo 1-2!"

Or how about the rumbles that sometimes happen when you're inside a ship?
In both games, I believe these are handled by "SoundSpace" calls in the map itself (so you have to declare regions in ZeroEditor and then create the sounds).  SWBFGamers and Gametoast have many tutorials, and I think this one may help you out:  http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9541.  Search on both sites:  I have not done much sound modding, and it is a tricky beast.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on October 14, 2016, 06:41:46 AM
I'm unfamiliar with how SWBF2 handles jetpacks - I would assume the same as SWBF1, which is what I actually know.  If so, then there is a chance that you are not replacing the right file (if you are just replacing stock, make sure you are on a map that uses stock sides), or, the slightly more likely situation is that the Virtual Store is holding on to your files (or your munge is not happening correctly - check to see the last changed date on your "final file").  You are at the correct section of code, and I would try changing other factors like jet recharge rate and skins to see if they are being affected.

Common is probably experiencing the same issue as above.  Make sure Virtual Store is cleaned out and that the file is actually munging correctly.  Note that a few custom maps have their own common supplied that they will call on.

I'm not replacing stock sides, sorry that wasn't clear; I'm creating custom units for the map I'm working on. I don't think Virtual Store is the issue because when I change the other values for my unit ODF they appear in game. It just seems to be those 2 variables that are not working correctly.

In both games, I believe these are handled by "SoundSpace" calls in the map itself (so you have to declare regions in ZeroEditor and then create the sounds).  SWBFGamers and Gametoast have many tutorials, and I think this one may help you out:  http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9541.  Search on both sites:  I have not done much sound modding, and it is a tricky beast.

"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.