Do you approve of radar being used in public servers?

Started by Phobos, September 19, 2012, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Instead of discussing whether or not people think it's a cheat, I just want to collect a sample of votes from this community regarding how people feel about radar being used in public servers. Do you think it is acceptable or not? I'm referring to most public servers (not tournaments or anything official) where the host does not specify to players any rules about radar being used.

3 people so far said yes. those are the boys who rely on them. prob same group of people >.>

Quote from: Jamman on September 19, 2012, 03:53:26 PM
3 people so far said yes. those are the boys who rely on them. prob same group of people >.>
:friend: I like you.

I don't approve, but i rather they do it there then in a tournament....  :D :whip:

September 19, 2012, 04:23:31 PM #4 Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:25:09 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Jamman on September 19, 2012, 03:53:26 PM
I voted yes. I can confirm this statement is a logical fallacy, and just an excuse to scorn players who don't try to impose their play standards on others. Just because someone is open to the consideration of players using a certain mod does not automatically make them dependent on it. I played in SleepKiller's 1v1 cloud city tournament, without any radar or crosshair mods (except sniper), and I managed to win. He also thought I would be too dependent on the mods and dared me to play without them, which I did. The only thing I rely on is skill and good ping. I can't speak for anyone else who votes yes but I'm willing to bet you are most likely wrong about them too.

September 19, 2012, 04:50:23 PM #7 Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:58:50 PM by BlackScorpion
I voted indifferent.  I don't think that, in the absence of equality of opportunity, it's fair--which isn't necessarily unfair; indeed, if it were widely available, then I don't think it would be unfair, which isn't necessarily fair.

Quote from: Phobos on September 19, 2012, 04:23:31 PM
I voted yes. I can confirm this statement is a logical fallacy, and just an excuse to scorn players who don't try to impose their play standards on others. Just because someone is open to the consideration of players using a certain mod does not automatically make them dependent on it. I played in SleepKiller's 1v1 cloud city tournament, without any radar or crosshair mods (except sniper), and I managed to win. He also thought I would be too dependent on the mods and dared me to play without them, which I did. The only thing I rely on is skill and good ping. I can't speak for anyone else who votes yes but I'm willing to bet you are most likely wrong about them too.

You didn't just win, you dominated.

I think that there's a predisposition of talented players towards the use of modifications, simply because in order to to be talented, you need to have played for a while and the more experience you have, the more likely you are to use a modification.  I think that describing this phenomenon in significantly different terms boarders on correlation.

I like your logic BlackScorpion.I might add that for some players (not all) the reason we start using mods after 2-3 years of play is simply to add more dynamic to the game esp. in multiplayer. Some people just get bored using stock skins, stock crosshairs, stock minimap, etc. and some people don't.

September 19, 2012, 05:06:14 PM #9 Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:06:34 AM by 501st Commander Sharpshot
ik i get bored of the same old crosshairs, I voted yes because when playing online its your game that you are playing, yes Phobos is right about getting bored over some stock. And the thing is there are mods that will most likely will be created that can be considered more of a hack. So why fight over this particular mod, yes its not revealed to the public. Hey you want it well make it on your own, as pysc0fred did he created the radar mod alot of the people complaining are most probably complaining because they don't have it, although the stronger SWBF players most definitely do not need such a mod for they have such skill that is unmatched as of now.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

September 19, 2012, 05:06:41 PM #10 Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:08:31 PM by Joseph
I voted indifferent, which essentially amounts to a yes. In fact, I view these answers as equivalent because it isn't about what you personally use, it's about your level of tolerance for what others use.

The idea that if radar were to suddenly vanish, all the great players who use it would turn into little noobs is hilarious

I voted indifferent because honestly why does it matter? SWBF is a game and I think if you play online it should be for fun and not to troll of be all like "Oh I'm so good at this!!" That is what sports are for lol. Why does it matter? Just have fun playing a game that will soon be 10 years old with people who also love the game.
Play in the DC's some time, everybody just has fun, none of this "I'm good" stuff in it.

I vote indifferent because I didn't know what radar was until I saw the argument thread about it here. So in otherwords, I don't use it and don't plan on doing so
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I'm probably indifferent, but I clicked no for some reason.