Radar Mod?

Started by Helios, September 17, 2012, 01:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is the Radar mod a cheat or is it not... and is it available to the public?
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

It's very naughty and no it is generally not given out to the general public.

September 17, 2012, 01:31:34 PM #2 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:33:47 PM by 501st Commander Sharpshot
oh lol  ;)  Y so though???
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

If everyone had it the game would be no fun, but one person using it is still no fun  :dry: , it is for cheaters  ;)

Quote from: 501st Commander Sharpshot on September 17, 2012, 01:26:51 PM
Is the Radar mod a cheat or is it not...

lol, way to open up a huge back of worms
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Enabling radar is trivial, regulating its use is essentially impossible, being a puritan about it is fruitless.

Lol true Ecko :D and yes it is hard to monitor who uses Radar, but my clan usually doesn't play with suspected cheaters/clans ;)

I do not consider radar a cheat. I think it is fun to fight people who use it, more of a challenge, and not a cheat when used properly. But ultimately, it is the server host who has the final say in whether or not such a mod is allowed. If unspecified, I assume they don't care.The knowledge is on these forums (in a certain thread I won't link to directly) how to create it, but AFAIK a public mod has not been released for all the download.

Quote from: Phobos on September 17, 2012, 02:56:44 PM
I do not consider radar a cheat. I think it is fun to fight people who use it, more of a challenge, and not a cheat when used properly. But ultimately, it is the server host who has the final say in whether or not such a mod is allowed. If unspecified, I assume they don't care.The knowledge is on these forums (in a certain thread I won't link to directly) how to create it, but AFAIK a public mod has not been released for all the download.
Maybe  :happy: , but it is still an unfair advantage for those of us who don't want radar or don't need it  :rant:

September 17, 2012, 04:12:14 PM #10 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:18:17 PM by BlackScorpion
Whether it's a cheat or not is determined by whether or not there is an expectation that the radar not be used.

As to the related, yet unasked, question as to whether or not it's fair, I leave this slightly relevant quotation from The Rev. Dr. Sir Stephen T. Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You!), for the sole reason that it's a funny excerpt:

"[...] Think of it as a ladder. No matter what rung you're born on, you have the exact same opportunity as everyone else to get to the top. Sure, you might say that some folks have less distance to climb up than others, or that many of the lower rungs are slippy because they're covered with garbage and your high school didn't have an AP Ladder Climbing class, and the rung right above you is out of order and your landlord keeps saying he's going to fix it but he never does and all the while the guy who hangs out on the corner of your rung is constantly trying to get you high, and you're wondering if maybe you could get a little help up this ladder? Well, Mister, all the help you need is at your fingertips, if your fingertips are touching your ankles. I'm talking about bootstraps.
You can always pull yourself up by your bootstraps or turn the lemons life has given you into lemonade. [...]"

Quote from: {212}Mart on September 17, 2012, 03:12:50 PM

Maybe  :happy: , but it is still an unfair advantage for those of us who don't want radar or don't need it  :rant:

Strong pro-self trolling. :-D

September 17, 2012, 04:25:29 PM #11 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:30:04 PM by Phobos
Quote from: {212}Mart on September 17, 2012, 03:12:50 PM

Define fair and unfair as you see it.
If any player in the server has the option to use a certain mod, I would consider it a 'fair advantage' for them to use it if they so chose. However if only the host or a certain team or selection of players could use a specific mod, then I would consider it an 'unfair advantage' (an example of this would be making imperial rockets lock on to enemy units). Radar can be used by any players and there is no way for server to disable it (so far). This is my opinion and I am not trying to argue with anyone who disagrees, just saying things how I see it.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_competition
Unfair competition may occur in games if a participant in some way deviates from the rules of the game, or has privileged access to important information or resources that should in principle be available to all participants in the game, or none of them. Participation in the game normally assumes that participants have an equal ability to compete in relevant respects, or are able to acquire it during the game.
The resources needed for radar mod have been publicly available ever since the modding tools were released in 2004, but I would say it has only recently been used by a size-able portion of the SWBF player base. I wonder if over time the controversy regarding this mod will subside. There are far bigger cheats for this game out there. :wacko:

Two things you have gone wrong with. A. You are getting your information from Wikipedia. B. Not everyone knows about the radar mod ergo an unfair advantage for the players that are using it. Thus why I would classify it as a cheat. And to counteract your the resources are there statement, well the resources are there for anyone who knows how to make an aimbot one that could potentially work in a dedicated server environment. So going by your logic I could make an aimbot and it wouldn't be cheating for me to use it right?

September 17, 2012, 05:05:36 PM #13 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:10:14 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on September 17, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
Two things you have gone wrong with. A. You are getting your information from Wikipedia. B. Not everyone knows about the radar mod ergo an unfair advantage for the players that are using it. Thus why I would classify it as a cheat. And to counteract your the resources are there statement, well the resources are there for anyone who knows how to make an aimbot one that could potentially work in a dedicated server environment. So going by your logic I could make an aimbot and it wouldn't be cheating for me to use it right?
A) Wikipedia from my experience is about 60-70% accurate. Unless you care to elaborate on why you feel my specific quote was invalid, then it shows you are disagreeing with me just for the sake of disagreeing without any reasoning to support it. I do not feel the quote I posted is invalid in this case I agree with what wikipedia has to say.
B) Not everyone knows about radar mod, that is true, but that fact alone doesn't make it a cheat. Not everybody knows they can mod crosshairs or unit skins, are those cheats? Not everyone knows you can play at a higher resolution than the in game options allow for by using battlebelk's custom resolution launcher. Is that also a cheat? By your logic anything that the least knowledgeable player in SWBF is unaware of is considered a cheat. I could not disagree more. I would say that since the knowledge is public, and even on SWBFGAMERS, it is fair game for anyone to use those instructions and build their own radar mod. It is likewise unfair in my opinion to expect players to limit their overall game experience (tournaments excluded ofc) just because a few noobs don't know how or have any incentive to mod.

The resources needed to create aimbots that work through /noaim have
1) not even been provably confirmed to exist, only in theory
and 2) were never included with any modding tools pandemic released.

Also I was (am) referring strictly to MODS ONLY when I say that if any client/player can build it and use it in any server, I don't consider it a cheat. HACKS and memory changes are a completely different matter and I would NOT say the same logic applies. Aimbots by my logic are always considered cheats, unless you enable it equally for every single player in the server. Kind of hard to do if you're not the host I imagine.

How is it a challenge if you can see where everyone is on the map? Also some don't know how to make it.  :whip: