Star Wars: Battlefront Legacy - Phase II (Version 0.9)

Started by Giftheck, December 26, 2017, 03:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hmm... that might be possible but I am unsure. If I am and can not find the original I can just uninstall & reinstall my Battlefront 1, not a big deal since I do not play it as much as I used to.
~Mike

Quote from: MikeTheBeast55 on January 05, 2018, 11:40:59 AM
Hmm... that might be possible but I am unsure. If I am and can not find the original I can just uninstall & reinstall my Battlefront 1, not a big deal since I do not play it as much as I used to.

Hold that thought - looking at that last screenshot suggests a data loss or corruption... there is a chance the mod is corrupted either during compiling to ZIP for upload, during upload or during download. I'll recompile the ZIP and upload it to MEGA, PM you the link and see if that fixes it first.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

The sounds effects are top notch and I was pleasantly surprised to her some of the new audio files for the rebel alliance.  The new models for vehicles work really well and the hero assault map is quite interesting and fun.

Something that seemed a little odd was the astromech droid model placement. At least where the feet are supposed to meet the ground, the model seems to be hovering/levitating above the ground just a tad. I think moving the camera above the field of view away from where you can see the feet would make it look better. Its really not a big huge deal, just a small suggestion.

I really like what you have achieved with the flamethrower. I know sereja had one in his polar express map, but the way you handled the effects and the way it works looks much better in that regard.

I think the detpack does not work as well as it should and that's not your fault. I think the way it is right now doesn't work as intended or is a little unconventional since the ai also doesn't use it like you probably intended it to.(Like the ai will use it as a mine and since it doesn't detonate unless you set another one, most of the time the detpack will blow up if an ai unit decides to place around the perimeter or its hard to use it yourself if your trying to blow someone up) Ive tried to use it and while I see the work around you had to make it pretty similar to the battlefront 2 version, I don't think its quite there yet. I think you would probably be better off making a new mine or grenade based on the EA iteration and at least that way its easier to use/make, plus the ai would use that better I would think.

I understand using the han solo animation for pistols is very popular now, its just my personal opinion that it looks a little odd. That doesn't take away from the mod, its just a personal gripe with mods that use that pistol animation. :XD: unrelated btw.

I think you have a really good project on your hands and the gameplay for the most part works pretty well. I noticed going with the assault classes is preferable since they have rapid fire weapons and sometimes it is a little overpowered since you can get more kills that way, at least from the way Ive been playing. I think decreasing the fire rate just a tad would help. It's good to see free radical models find life in other games and if I could give any other suggestions, it's that the texture quality seems to vary compared to the free radical models and the pandemic models. The pandemic character model textures are a little outdated and in the future could benefit from a good hi-resolution/different texturing so that all the models are coherent (Just meaning that everything looks consistent visually.)

psst
I think if you wanted to go the extra mile, eventually maybe all the units can get new voice lines. Not necessarily from dice's games but from other games to if you had wanted to. clonetrooper163 who did the swbf3 model ripping I think has a channel in which he gets various voice lines from different star wars games and uploads as one video, you might find it useful. https://www.youtube.com/user/clonetrooper163/videos He has some for soldiers from the force unleashed and they sound pretty good.

Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

January 05, 2018, 02:36:12 PM #18 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:59:41 PM by Gistech
Quote from: 411Remnant on January 05, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
The sounds effects are top notch and I was pleasantly surprised to her some of the new audio files for the rebel alliance.  The new models for vehicles work really well and the hero assault map is quite interesting and fun.

Thanks :D I scoured the films for references for the sound effects and thankfully Rogue One has quite a few sections where the sounds are crystal clear with little or no overlap from either other sounds or the music. Some of the sounds are carried over from Phase I, which did use some sounds recorded from the 2015 game where I couldn't get a clean source. I stayed far away from anything from the 2017 game.

QuoteSomething that seemed a little odd was the astromech droid model placement. At least where the feet are supposed to meet the ground, the model seems to be hovering/levitating above the ground just a tad. I think moving the camera above the field of view away from where you can see the feet would make it look better. Its really not a big huge deal, just a small suggestion.

I think that's a limitation of the droid itself, so I'll see what I can do with the camera in the next patches.

QuoteI think the detpack does not work as well as it should and that's not your fault. I think the way it is right now doesn't work as intended or is a little unconventional since the ai also doesn't use it like you probably intended it to.(Like the ai will use it as a mine and since it doesn't detonate unless you set another one, most of the time the detpack will blow up if an ai unit decides to place around the perimeter or its hard to use it yourself if your trying to blow someone up) Ive tried to use it and while I see the work around you had to make it pretty similar to the battlefront 2 version, I don't think its quite there yet. I think you would probably be better off making a new mine or grenade based on the EA iteration and at least that way its easier to use/make, plus the ai would use that better I would think.

I'd guess that's why it was dropped from SWBF and was reprogrammed in SWBF2. An alternate might be an Impact Grenade.

QuoteI think you have a really good project on your hands and the gameplay for the most part works pretty well. I noticed going with the assault classes is preferable since they have rapid fire weapons and sometimes it is a little overpowered since you can get more kills that way, at least from the way Ive been playing. I think decreasing the fire rate just a tad would help.

I think maybe decreasing the damage might be better, personally.

QuoteIt's good to see free radical models find life in other games and if I could give any other suggestions, it's that the texture quality seems to vary compared to the free radical models and the pandemic models. The pandemic character model textures are a little outdated and in the future could benefit from a good hi-resolution/different texturing so that all the models are coherent (Just meaning that everything looks consistent visually.)

I'm not a good texture artist TBH, or rather, I haven't had a ton of practice.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

QuoteI'm not a good texture artist TBH, or rather, I haven't had a ton of practice.

Ive been using BF1 models for some BF2 projects and upgraded their textures to have more detail on them. I would be more than happy to donate them if you can find use for them, also unit33 and givev have some Bf1 assets with textures that look much better at least for some units. It would be easy enough to essentially fit bf2 textures onto the bf1 ones, like have different parts be patched on through photoshop so that you can have the texture quality of the BF2 oneson the bf1 if that makes any sense. I could also send you a sample of what that would look like.

Quote from: 411Remnant on January 05, 2018, 05:24:03 PM
Ive been using BF1 models for some BF2 projects and upgraded their textures to have more detail on them. I would be more than happy to donate them if you can find use for them, also unit33 and givev have some Bf1 assets with textures that look much better at least for some units. It would be easy enough to essentially fit bf2 textures onto the bf1 ones, like have different parts be patched on through photoshop so that you can have the texture quality of the BF2 oneson the bf1 if that makes any sense. I could also send you a sample of what that would look like.

I'd certainly be open to that.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I've updated the main post with an alternative link which has a freshly-compiled ZIP file. Can anybody who has had the same problem as MikeTheBeast55 test it out and see if the problem reoccurs? I had somebody mention they had the same problem on my ModDB page and it's only started cropping up after I updated the file to fix the Naboo: Outpost crash. I want to know if the compile is at fault, or whether there was an error uploading it to ModDB and that's corrupted the contents.

Alternatively, here it is: https://mega.nz/#!5FQTFIwI!ficUNz_K4IYI4g24SnqNIEYkbQJAAZB1J8A2ZH9z2Ck
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: MikeTheBeast55 on January 05, 2018, 11:32:08 AM
For me it is on every map with every single unit. Here are some pictures for you:

I'll be honest, the last time I've seen anything like this was when I was doing free camera with the unofficial patch installed and it happens for me (sometimes)
My YouTube Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/R6GFL1993
Don't forget to subscribe, and like my videos!

Topic for issues pertaining to models not appearing correctly: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=12697.msg117896#new
In Progress:

On Hold:

Sorry it took a while to play this new update, but I played with this the last two days and have some thoughts.
-The AI main soldier class seems to treat their rifle like a rocket launcher or sniper rifle, as when you get close to them they switch to their pistol.
-I kind of miss the old heavy class where they all had unique weapons, but it's not a bad change. The heavy rifle works really well for the class.
-I think the thermal imploder for the wookie needs a buff. It's harder to kill enemies  with then a regular thermal. Most of the time the enemies I throw it at just barely move a little away from it and it gets no one.
-Did you change the textures for Kashyyyk docks? I noticed at a distance the wookie huts are just white like a un textured model, only loading the textures when close to them. This doesn't happen in my vanilla game.
-Naboo Outpost could use more AI on the battlefield, as you can spend a lot of time not encountering anyone. Due to the size of the map I think a mobile command post would also be a good addition to it, such as the MTT.
-I love that the tie striker is used as a bomber, and the AT-ACT is really cool too.
Overall still one of the best side mods for battlefront 1. Looking forward to the next updates  :tu:

January 19, 2018, 03:30:25 AM #25 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:56:04 AM by Gistech
Quote from: Rookie 1 on January 18, 2018, 08:01:20 PM
Sorry it took a while to play this new update, but I played with this the last two days and have some thoughts.
-The AI main soldier class seems to treat their rifle like a rocket launcher or sniper rifle, as when you get close to them they switch to their pistol.
-I kind of miss the old heavy class where they all had unique weapons, but it's not a bad change. The heavy rifle works really well for the class.
-I think the thermal imploder for the wookie needs a buff. It's harder to kill enemies  with then a regular thermal. Most of the time the enemies I throw it at just barely move a little away from it and it gets no one.
-Did you change the textures for Kashyyyk docks? I noticed at a distance the wookie huts are just white like a un textured model, only loading the textures when close to them. This doesn't happen in my vanilla game.
-Naboo Outpost could use more AI on the battlefield, as you can spend a lot of time not encountering anyone. Due to the size of the map I think a mobile command post would also be a good addition to it, such as the MTT.
-I love that the tie striker is used as a bomber, and the AT-ACT is really cool too.
Overall still one of the best side mods for battlefront 1. Looking forward to the next updates  :tu:

-The idea behind the Soldier was that the pistol was better at short ranges than the Rifle, which is better for long ranges. I adapted the AI range for each to account from that - the result is the rifles are used at longer ranges and the pistols are used at close range. The Pilot/Engineer should act the same in reverse with the Pistols being used over longer distances. (though there it makes more sense as the Shotgun is rather poor at long-range engagements)
-I was considering keeping the more unique weapons of the Heavy class but in the end I felt that the pistol didn't suit the Rebel Vanguard as much and as a result changed it, and when I revisited SWBF3 I realised they were using the DC-15A as a rifle there too.
-I used the Thermal Detonator as the base weapon but I must have changed something unintentionally and I will adjust the damage/push for the next release.
-I did change the textures but I will need to see why the distance buildings are coming up untextured. It's possible that the SWBF1 version did not ship with the lowres textures.
-I like your ideas for Naboo: Outpost. I'll investigate it for sure.
-Though the TIE Striker and AT-ACT are essentially 'reskins' I really like them too. The AT-ACT is bigger than the AT-AT (by about 1.4x) so it does feel different. The TIE Striker was my first go at animating a vehicle. I have copies of the Visual Dictionaries which are useful as guides for how vehicles and weapons are supposed to operate and I think the Striker came off really well.

The next update will be a GameToast-friendly edition, which means that I will have replaced all the EA SFX and anything borrowed from the EA game (this includes the Rebel Sandtrooper helmet). The sad consequence of this is that the Sullustian will be speaking Basic (though to be fair the SWBF2EA campaign does canonize that) and the Twilek won't be speaking at all (as I can't find decent sound clips for a female in SWBF2 ATM).

I'm also hoping to solve that issue that some players have reported with glitched player models - I have a sneaky suspicion it might be to do with SleepKiller's Model Edit porgram as that has been the only thing I've changed in my munge process between Phase 1 and Phase 2. If anybody who has this issue sees this, can you please download THIS, replace the "heroes.lvl" in the "Lgeacy/Side" folder , play the Hero TDM map and see if the issue persists. If the issue is fixed for that, then it is Sleepkiller's model-edit causing the issue for some.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: MamaLuigi on January 22, 2018, 12:46:15 PM
How many maps are in this mod?

At present it only has Jabba's Palace and Naboo Outpost, plus a Hero TDM match on Mos Eisley. It will have more maps in the next patch (which I'm hoping to have out soon)
In Progress:

On Hold:

April 26, 2018, 02:42:09 AM #28 Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:53:49 AM by Gistech
I've been working on some minor tweaks and I want to ask something: does anybody use the three-shot rifle the Soldier Class has? I'm contemplating removing it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Ive used it, but if you can replace it with something better why not?