What Games do you like to play overall?

Started by Helios, October 17, 2012, 07:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just finished Jedi Outcast for the first time, and I'll have to say, I enjoyed it a lot.  There's a lot of hack and slash, but there's also puzzles throughout the game.  Throughout the first 6 levels, it turned into one of my favorite games (even without a lightsaber.  Yeah, I know, some people really HATE not having a lightsaber, but I enjoy the challenge, and I'm more of a ranged fighter anyway).  The rest of the game did not disappoint.  You might want to play Jedi Knight Dark Forces II (one of my other all-time favorites) before you play this, but it is not necessary. :)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Ooh, JK2 was what I primarily played before SWBF... It had a great online community in those days.
Remember to try out the extensive cheats for additional fun... if I recall correctly 'thereisnospoon' is a fun command to enter.

Had NFS Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed a few weeks ago. Not something I play regularly though (both games have boat-like handling I've found), but it's always fun to play whenever I feel like racing Nurburgring Nordschleife (so long...so challenging....but sooooo fun).

Found my old USB key with some games on it. Halo CE, BF1942, and AssaultCube. Good FPS fun again.

I'l be honest though, haven't been playing many games these past few weeks due to life and stuff. Might get back into SWRC and finish the campaign sometime, or go back to GoIO and level up my Engi/Gunner sometime.

March 27, 2015, 03:00:25 PM #138 Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:51:30 PM by Commander Awesome
Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 27, 2015, 07:22:50 AM
I just finished Jedi Outcast for the first time, and I'll have to say, I enjoyed it a lot.  There's a lot of hack and slash, but there's also puzzles throughout the game.  Throughout the first 6 levels, it turned into one of my favorite games (even without a lightsaber.  Yeah, I know, some people really HATE not having a lightsaber, but I enjoy the challenge, and I'm more of a ranged fighter anyway).  The rest of the game did not disappoint.  You might want to play Jedi Knight Dark Forces II (one of my other all-time favorites) before you play this, but it is not necessary. :)
You should probably check out Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, too. The singleplayer campaign isn't as good as Outcast, but it's still pretty fun, and there's a lot of cool new features in the game for both modes, like character customization, choosing saber hilts and the ability to use dual sabers or a doublesaber. Not to mention all the cool mods for MP. (ForceMod 3 and JA+ are personal faves of mine.)

EDIT: Also, the game's second SP level makes for a great sandbox environment for messing around with cheat codes. (It has all (or at least most) of the cheat codes from Outcast.)

Ugh...     I really need to play the Jk series, but I haven't had the time.  :dry:

Lately I've been playing a lot of flight sims.
The flight sims I have been playing are IL-2 1946 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover. Great fun. Lucky me Microsoft Flight Sim is 80% off, so I'll have to try that one out.

Quote from: Gold Man on March 27, 2015, 01:20:28 PM
Had NFS Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed a few weeks ago. Not something I play regularly though (both games have boat-like handling I've found), but it's always fun to play whenever I feel like racing Nurburgring Nordschleife (so long...so challenging....but sooooo fun).

Nurburgring is fun, but it's annoying to drive for ten minutes if you only want to do the carousel.   :whip: And sadly all simcades seem to have boat-ish handling it seems. TOCA was even like that.  :sick:

BF1942 is quite possibly the best FPS of all time (If you consider SWBF to be TPS). Nothing is quite as rewarding as nailing a Loopzook. Nothing is more disappointing when you realize it didn't record it. :D You should try BF Vietnam. I like it a bit better, but it's all a matter of opinion.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Lol, just go back a page and look at my sig. As for JK2, the puzzles were somewhat fun (Until they got to hard and a bit too annoying) I also like JK3 because of the customization and mods also. lololololol
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: Commander Awesome on March 27, 2015, 03:00:25 PM
You should probably check out Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, too. The singleplayer campaign isn't as good as Outcast, but it's still pretty fun, and there's a lot of cool new features in the game for both modes, like character customization, choosing saber hilts and the ability to use dual sabers or a doublesaber. Not to mention all the cool mods for MP. (ForceMod 3 and JA+ are personal faves of mine.)

EDIT: Also, the game's second SP level makes for a great sandbox environment for messing around with cheat codes. (It has all (or at least most) of the cheat codes from Outcast.)

I actually played Jedi Academy almost 10 years ago in Multiplayer with my cousins (a couple years after playing JKDF2 online all the time).  Then, about 5 years ago I think, I actually got Academy and played through it.  Yeah, it had it's bright moments and was a great game, but there were always the same levels that you didn't do because they were too frustrating.  I personally liked to use the cheats on the level with Wedge, kill all NPCs and have fun there.  If I'm right, the 2nd level had to do something with the big wormy things, which was my favorite level to cheat on.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Jedi Academy was the first Star Wars game I played, it's hard to believe it came out 11 years ago. The lightsaber combat is really well done, far better than any newer games I think, Outcast is equally good.
I enjoy all the Jedi knight games in single player, the only thing I don't like is some of the puzzles in the dark forces games that have really obscure solutions so you just end up stuck then finding the answer by accident.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

By second level I mean the force training level. Because there are already areas that are devoid of NPCs; and I like spawning an enemy to kill rosh right when he sends that training droid after you.  :P

Quote from: Carbon27 on March 27, 2015, 04:24:02 PM
Nurburgring is fun, but it's annoying to drive for ten minutes if you only want to do the carousel.   :whip: And sadly all simcades seem to have boat-ish handling it seems. TOCA was even like that.  :sick:

BF1942 is quite possibly the best FPS of all time (If you consider SWBF to be TPS). Nothing is quite as rewarding as nailing a Loopzook. Nothing is more disappointing when you realize it didn't record it. :D You should try BF Vietnam. I like it a bit better, but it's all a matter of opinion.
Yeah, that's thing I hated about the 2 Shift games. Great graphics and stuff, but the boat-like handling is a nightmare. Spent a solid hour trying to perfect the tutorial on Shift 2 due to the crappy grip of the tires. At least Shift 1 didn't have as far boat-like handling in it.

Really just looking for a simcade without the boaty handling. Is GRID like that? Or boaty as well?

March 28, 2015, 03:17:14 PM #145 Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:13:16 PM by Carbon27
Quote from: Gold Man on March 28, 2015, 01:35:56 PM
Yeah, that's thing I hated about the 2 Shift games. Great graphics and stuff, but the boat-like handling is a nightmare. Spent a solid hour trying to perfect the tutorial on Shift 2 due to the crappy grip of the tires. At least Shift 1 didn't have as far boat-like handling in it.

Really just looking for a simcade without the boaty handling. Is GRID like that? Or boaty as well?

I thought the original Shift was, well, slightly like a boat. But I also haven't played it for a while due to it's...      unique handling. Any way you describe it, it left a lot to be desired.

And, I also heard there was a handling mod that corrects the grip levels and such for Shift 2. I don't own Shift 2, so I haven't an idea if it's any good or not. Tell me if it's any good, if it is I may try it.

I believe this to be it.  http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-handling-minimod-released/
Mods are so nice.

Grid, it has it, but nothing awful. It's just a hint that it's there, and can be a pain. I feel like I'm cornering and not knowing where the car will end up until I exit the corner or hit a wall. That annoys me. Though the F3 and F2 cars lack it, and are reason enough to buy Autosport. You probably missed the deal when it was Dirt cheap, didn't you?

Speaking of Dirt...             it's pretty good. While I only have the third one working, the one that's most hated, I like it. It has the same issues as Grid but it's twice as fun.

While writing this I remembered that CD codes on physical versions work with steam often, the first one had some security issue with my PC. But the steam version should work. I added a satellite ISP a while back so I can now download things like a normal human being. But, alas it went over the data limit (Though it didn't... they just like saying that) so I cannot DL the original Dirt. I did hear it is pretty good at not being floaty, so if it isn't floaty I'll let you know.

Maybe Driver: San Francisco? Test Drive Unlimited 1-2? (I have no experience with this one, but I hear it's good)

The Project Gotham Racing series was extremely fun, but only on Xbox. If you have an Xbox or Xbox 360, get a copy. It's one great game.

Has anyone one else played sleeping dogs? I thought it would be a cheap GTA rip off but it was actually brilliant fun. It has its flaws but it's like living in a Jackie chan film. The story's pretty good and there's loads of good ideas in it.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: Carbon27 on March 28, 2015, 03:17:14 PM
I thought the original Shift was, well, slightly like a boat. But I also haven't played it for a while due to it's...      unique handling. Any way you describe it, it left a lot to be desired.

And, I also heard there was a handling mod that corrects the grip levels and such for Shift 2. I don't own Shift 2, so I haven't an idea if it's any good or not. Tell me if it's any good, if it is I may try it.

I believe this to be it.  http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-handling-minimod-released/
Mods are so nice.

Grid, it has it, but nothing awful. It's just a hint that it's there, and can be a pain. I feel like I'm cornering and not knowing where the car will end up until I exit the corner or hit a wall. That annoys me. Though the F3 and F2 cars lack it, and are reason enough to buy Autosport. You probably missed the deal when it was Dirt cheap, didn't you?

Speaking of Dirt...             it's pretty good. While I only have the third one working, the one that's most hated, I like it. It has the same issues as Grid but it's twice as fun.

While writing this I remembered that CD codes on physical versions work with steam often, the first one had some security issue with my PC. But the steam version should work. I added a satellite ISP a while back so I can now download things like a normal human being. But, alas it went over the data limit (Though it didn't... they just like saying that) so I cannot DL the original Dirt. I did hear it is pretty good at not being floaty, so if it isn't floaty I'll let you know.

Maybe Driver: San Francisco? Test Drive Unlimited 1-2? (I have no experience with this one, but I hear it's good)

The Project Gotham Racing series was extremely fun, but only on Xbox. If you have an Xbox or Xbox 360, get a copy. It's one great game.

Thanks for the link, I'l try out the grip mod for Shift 2 later.

As for the GRID sale, yeah, I kind of missed it. I haven't been that fond of DIRT in recent years, though I've heard good things about it.

Driver San Fransisco seems to play a bit more on the arcade aspect than any sim relevance, however I am willing to look past that and perhaps try it out if it goes for $2 or something.

I've looked into TDU2 a bit, and for the most part the gameplay looks pretty solid. The only issue I have is the reviews recently state a lot of players having login/startup issues with the game, which is rather unfortunate. Otherwise, I probably would've gone for it already and perhaps been enjoying it.

I don't own an Xbox 360, so Project Gotham Racing is out of my league already.

I know it's not necessarily a racing sim, but I'l give credit, TrackMania United is awesome. The gameplay is incredible, physics are very realistic surprisngly (even though most tracks are built like a stunt course), and you can't ram into other players. I still hop into it every now and then (the Carpark site has loads of Car skins for the game, and some even have custom engine sounds as well), and I always get a good kick out of it.

If you aren't willing to shell out $30 for it, Trackmania Nations offers the same experience, with the only difference being no other environments (literally, just the Stadium environment, which is fine since nobody really plays the others online).

Got Warframe tonight...I think I've found the game to respark my liking to FPS again.

March 29, 2015, 05:16:00 AM #148 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:26:46 PM by Carbon27
Quote from: Gold Man on March 28, 2015, 09:17:48 PM

I know it's not necessarily a racing sim, but I'l give credit, TrackMania United is awesome. The gameplay is incredible, physics are very realistic surprisngly (even though most tracks are built like a stunt course), and you can't ram into other players. I still hop into it every now and then (the Carpark site has loads of Car skins for the game, and some even have custom engine sounds as well), and I always get a good kick out of it.

If you aren't willing to shell out $30 for it, Trackmania Nations offers the same experience, with the only difference being no other environments (literally, just the Stadium environment, which is fine since nobody really plays the others online).

I actually do have Nations, I've just been to lazy to play it. And it doesn't really seem to want me to use a controller or a wheel.  :dry: And I dislike keyboards for driving games.

EDIT: A game I should have mentioned is NASCAR Heat. Whilst you probably aren't a fan of driving cars in circles for hours, it has plenty of non-NASCAR mods for it. I know you use windows 8 or 8.1, and my 8.1 machine does not run it more then 3FPS. My issue is also shared by another person, and to my knowledge he never got around it. But, there appears to be a demo so you could try that and see how it runs. http://www.fileplanet.com/48531/40000/fileinfo/NASCAR-Heat-Demo-v1.1

Quote from: Carbon27 on March 29, 2015, 05:16:00 AM
I actually do have Nations, I've just been to lazy to play it. And it doesn't really seem to want me to use a controller or a wheel.  :dry: And I dislike keyboards for driving games.
Hah, I'm too cheap to get a wheel for racing games. :P Always been using keyboard for racing, and it's relatively fun.

I also play NFS World off and on (cars are insanely expensive in the higher classes, if you have no skill mods/don't do treasure hunts daily). It's essentially taking both worlds from NFS Most Wanted and Carbon, merging Most Wanted into Carbon, and then making it a racing MMO. Granted, some cars will have awesome gripping power and others will be boats (the Audi R8s are boaty unfortunately), and it's more an arcade than a sim anyways. Still, free to play, and fun to play with (considering most players tend to have a C class car if they've been playing for a while).

If you ever get the game/have it and want to play it again, look me up on there sometime. I'm not on there now (Warframe is so much fun), but if you ever feel like it just hit me up and I'l go a few rounds with ya. :P