R2D2

Started by Napseeker, April 22, 2010, 11:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok i want to say that i know very little things about odf coding.I just get the rep clone trooper odf and just change the mesh names whit r2d2 but what to add in the lowres name section?Thats my first noob question

gogo12

Okay, let's consider the fact that we start with the R2D2 msh from the modtool assets.  It's been ages since I did my own R2 so I am working from memory here... there's no reason why you can't specify the r2 msh for both the hi-res and lowres geometries e.g.
GeometryName    = "all_droid_r2d2"
GeometryLowRes  = "all_droid_r2d2"

Tell me what you see in the game when you do this.  If there's an error, the next thing is just to figure out how to fix the error. I suspect there'll be some kind of height or warping problem due to skeleton issues.  Implementing R2 is like implementing Yoda or the Jawa... it's a short-height character so any solutions to problems with R2 are going to come from analyzing say the existing Jawa or ewok ODFs. 

Also: you mentioned you have a crash in your game when you try to use your R2 implementation.  Post your error log and let's see what causes that.  Did you assign a weapon to R2 which is missing or poorly defined?   Post your R2D2 ODF and let's see what else could  be mucking up things.

Quote from: Napseeker on April 22, 2010, 11:22:36 AMImplementing R2 is like implementing Yoda or the Jawa... it's a short-height character so any solutions to problems with R2 are going to come from analyzing say the existing Jawa or ewok ODFs.
It's not like using either of the abovementioned, because it doesn't have a skeleton. It only has its parent null (dummyroot, I'd assume) and as a result it's only "enveloped" to a single bone (it doesn't really have an envelope but a parent null acts as a single weight point). You won't see any animation issues when adding static meshes as replacements for meshes with a skeleton.

No, you're incorrect about this particular case. That R2 does have a skeleton... it has bones for head, middle leg, legs, etc.  I've actually implemented this so I know this as fact.  Take a look at all_droid_r2d2.msh for yourself, but I'm 100% certain about it. 

Quote from: Napseeker on April 22, 2010, 03:56:27 PMThat R2 does have a skeleton... it has bones for head, middle leg, legs, etc.  I've actually implemented this so I know this as fact.  Take a look at all_droid_r2d2.msh for yourself, but I'm 100% certain about it.
You're right that it does have a null hierarchy, but none of them are bones per se - they are just nulls like you might find in any animated mesh (e.g. animated doors). There is also no envelope data in the mesh. It's likely that this was a scrapped model for a special kind of non-player unit (it shares the mostly-defunct "droid" classlabel with the probe droid) that would be animated irrelevant of its movement.

However as far as those things that are germane to the issue above - since none of the nulls use the same names as any of the bones in the default unit animations, they are not relevant to those animations and any pieces of that model will default to the null root (dummyroot) of the animation's skeleton.

Good point, I'll concede that as I'm trying to recall something I did a few years ago and I may be mixing it up with another one of my "short" unit attempts.  I did recall the "skeleton" within the R2D2 having the naming structure similar to the bones on the normal units but if the R2 "bone" names aren't identical then yeah, it would not be relevant.

hey Napseeker now my r2d2 work.I dont know why the last time didnt work.  :slap:
none

Good job!  Do post if you have any more questions... I am definitely looking forward to seeing your version of R2D2 in your next mod.  :tu:

April 23, 2010, 12:06:23 PM #7 Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:54:12 AM by gogo12
Actually i will not use r2d2 i will use t3m4.Droid from KOTOR.You can se in my BIG PROJECT topic for picture.I think the model was made by Maveritchell  ;)
none

Quote from: gogo12 on April 23, 2010, 12:06:23 PMI think the model was made by Maveritchell  ;)
Ugh, it'd be a lot better if you made your own model. That was the first model I made and it's really only suitable for a lowrez/distance model. It's pretty bad.

Well i dont think the model is bad (not and for me).The main problem is that i cant make my own.The funny is that i have xsi foundation but dont know how to use it.  :XD: :rofl: :wacko:
none