Do you believe I had help with modding

Started by Xfire Keenmike aka cull, April 22, 2010, 03:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi every modder of swbf1 and people that know what it takes to mod swbf1. My question is one of a do you believe I had help making a mod. Do you think I would not have been able to mod an ewok or yoda into the sides if a release of yoda assets was not avilable for download? I ask this because of thinking I am learning. I wonder if you believe me when I say I expeirmented from scratch on placing yoda in a side instead of a wookie. The odf files already in BFBuilder has clues and help that I used.

Can you created sides from scratch with no tutorial, if you are reasonably cleaver, yes.

If you say you read the tutorials that came with the mod tools only, then even more so. that is ofcorse the only thing the original modders had anyway. However this is not to say that any tutorial posted on here, Gametoast, or even Fred's site is worthless, it just means they are mainly for helping out once a person is to the point that they can not figure it out, rather then a essential guide, they are ment to be support for when you are stuck.

With the many problems in SWBF's mod tools i would be surprised if someone had never looked at a tutorial to get them to work, or asked for help but again, someone with a bit of smarts and cleverness could manage i'm sure over time.

Moved to SWBF Modding Forum.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Quote from: xfire keenmike on April 22, 2010, 03:53:38 AM
Hi every modder of swbf1 and people that know what it takes to mod swbf1. My question is one of a do you believe I had help making a mod. Do you think I would not have been able to mod an ewok or yoda into the sides if a release of yoda assets was not avilable for download? I ask this because of thinking I am learning. I wonder if you believe me when I say I expeirmented from scratch on placing yoda in a side instead of a wookie. The odf files already in BFBuilder has clues and help that I used.

I have read your question 7 or 8 times trying to understand what exactly you are asking... are you saying:
- you learned how to add a Yoda into a side LVL by yourself
- you told people on the forums that you did it without reading any tutorials or using a yoda asset pack (like Mile High Guy's Yoda)
- no one believed you, so you are polling people to see how many people DO believe you?

If that is what you are asking, then does it really matter?  If that's what you did, congratulations but I'm not sure why it's important to seek confirmation from other people.  So long as you know you did it, but maybe others don't believe it, if it's something you view as an important accomplishment in your learning, then be proud. 

That said, doing anything when it comes to modding is not going to earn a lot of praise by most people. People look at the final results of your modding efforts, not the effort it takes to get there.  If the end result is Yoda is a new unit in your side lvl, 99% of people don't care how you got it in there - whether you did it by scratch or by using someone else's asset.  If you are the first person ever to get Yoda into a mod there is some praise I suppose for doing that (you get to call "First!!!!" lol I've done that a few times... the joy lasts for about a minute  :P)   but if you're the 100th person to put Yoda into a mod, the excitement level diminishes considerably.

Modding is more about your own sense of self-accomplishment and beating some challenge you set up for yourself... that should be enough to be proud of, not really a requirement if others do believe you or not.

modding isn't about pride it's about expanding the game.

No that's not necessarily correct - you definitely should feel a sense of pride and accomplishment in your modding work (and in what you may have learned in the process of modding). The community benefits from the expansion of the game, the modder in my honest belief, benefits from having something to be proud of (if done well that is).  I suppose one could be proud that they've expanded the game beyond what the developer had intended, which is also good, but some measure of pride in one's work is definitely a component of good modding - otherwise, what are modders then to be - spiritless robots just solely working to push a game beyond its borders for the sake of it?  Nonsense.  You do it to have something to show off, to put forth as "Here's what I did!"   Good modders especially don't tend to show off things that they're not proud of.  It fuels their enthusiasm to keep chugging away for hours on end.

You can tell a bad modder - he shows off stuff, but there's not any love for it in his own work. It's just something he whipped together and puts out on the internet.  Maybe it was just a quick experiment, or something that he worked on and gave up and decided to post anyway for some quick attention.  No pride in your work?  You won't last long as a modder on whatever project you may be working on.

The only negative is when pride turns into a fixation about what the community thinks of you and your modding efforts - whether people believe your claims that you did all your modding work unaided or what not, or whatever else you feel might be a "claim to fame".  As I said, you're a modder, if you did something you know was worthwhile, be proud of it.  Just don't overhype it to others (most folks don't care how much you may have learned in the process or how you did it).

Quote from: Napseeker on April 22, 2010, 01:15:49 PM
No that's not necessarily correct - you definitely should feel a sense of pride and accomplishment in your modding work (and in what you may have learned in the process of modding). The community benefits from the expansion of the game, the modder in my honest belief, benefits from having something to be proud of (if done well that is).  I suppose one could be proud that they've expanded the game beyond what the developer had intended, which is also good, but some measure of pride in one's work is definitely a component of good modding - otherwise, what are modders then to be - spiritless robots just solely working to push a game beyond its borders for the sake of it?  Nonsense.  You do it to have something to show off, to put forth as "Here's what I did!"   Good modders especially don't tend to show off things that they're not proud of.  It fuels their enthusiasm to keep chugging away for hours on end.

You can tell a bad modder - he shows off stuff, but there's not any love for it in his own work. It's just something he whipped together and puts out on the internet.  Maybe it was just a quick experiment, or something that he worked on and gave up and decided to post anyway for some quick attention.  No pride in your work?  You won't last long as a modder on whatever project you may be working on.

The only negative is when pride turns into a fixation about what the community thinks of you and your modding efforts - whether people believe your claims that you did all your modding work unaided or what not, or whatever else you feel might be a "claim to fame".  As I said, you're a modder, if you did something you know was worthwhile, be proud of it.  Just don't overhype it to others (most folks don't care how much you may have learned in the process or how you did it).

I disagree with your argument that it is incorrect to say modding is about pride and not expanding the community. Not have pride does not make one a spiritless robot, because one will not be enticed to not help other modders and claim it is for their own good to learn everything from scratch rather than work towards a collective effort. Making a map can have the following intentions:
1) Showing off
2) Expanding the community
Enthusiasm can be fed from either of these. A modder without pride is not going to not last long on their projects if they consider 2) to be a priority. A bad modder is one who lacks 2) and is either full of only 1) or lacks both.
You can go too far with pride but you can't go too far with expanding the community. In fact, pride more often than not has detrimental effects on the community.

I came here looking from some one to mod for me the sides I would like to run, jump, play and battle with in server with no crash. I search for cool looks in sides and not advantage in battle just to add. Now that I make sides I like most I don't hang out here much. Some times I think you all make sense. And at other times I think players would have stayed playing swbf1 longer with more fun if stuff was made like what I can make now but back then. The funny is now I see more choices of sides that are online compatiable. I just want to be in server with people and have fun doing different. I hope to not change anyone with what I just said, just state a thank you for talking as it is learning for me.

im not a modder, and im not one for lectures. Personally, i just wanna get on the leaderboard for most posts, so i am gonna write some stuff.

You should always feel accomplished about your work. If you make something great and dont feel any emotion at all, well, i think they have a medical disorder for that...uhhhhh psychopath, cept without the violent part. Point is, after you do something it only shows humanity that you should feel good/bad/any emotion afterwards.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

April 22, 2010, 03:09:13 PM #8 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:29:59 PM by Hardcore
Phobos I've had enough with you. If you really want to pick a fight with other modders about an utterly stupid and unnecessary debate, do it elsewhere, not this forum. You've taken it too far.

As for Mike, please improve your grammar. I cannot understand what you are talking about. Hardcore however seems to give you a valid answer. Make another topic if you wish to discuss.

lock'd

#TYBG