{HELP} Im new

Started by Festus, April 17, 2010, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm new to the mapping and modding community and need someone to help explain the basics and just how to get started.

Hi and welcome to MPC

We have many good tutorials here that can help you.

http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?topic=8.0 This tutorial of mine covers the basics of starting a side mod, I hope it helps! If you have Xfire or MSN Messenger, I'd be glad to help you start with mapping and such, it's just easier to do it in real time over instant messaging.

-BD

Welcome  :cheers:
I think I remember you from when you were in {SOH}?

Thanks, and I was in {SOH}

Hey there Festus!

Here's our documentation right now:
http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?board=49.0

Be sure to check out GameToast as well. It's a very useful site and their modding forum is active as well.

Also if there is any specific question you have, feel free to ask. Good luck!

--AG

#TYBG

April 18, 2010, 10:18:45 AM #5 Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:52:26 AM by Snake
-Removed by Snake has some good stuff for learning to mod. Welcome to SWBF1 modding!  :cheers:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Snake, could you quit advertising your site at every single opportunity? You don't even have anything on it that you made yourself (and the stuff you did is also on MPC)- it's all just copypasted from the guides that others have made or that was included with the documentation for the mod tools. At least give credit to the people you take it from if you're going to take it.

To the OP- good luck on your modding! :cheers: If you want to get into mapping, here's a good guide for you  to get started with: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Modding_Tutorial;46828 It mainly covers mapping, I think, but I remember it was a big help to me when I was getting into mapping.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

April 18, 2010, 10:51:36 AM #7 Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:54:10 AM by Snake
@JK no, it is actually not. I have not pasted some tuts here I made there. And I'm not advertising, I will stop if you want, just trying to help. The only ones I copy and pasted are from Psych0fred. :'(
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

welcome to mpcgamers! Glad to have another modder :cheer:
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Thank you everyone for your help, but just wondering I'm using a mac is this a problem.

SWBF mapping is not possible on a mac, however you can still create mods.

The only downside to it is that you have to upload it to someone (myself, for example) who has access to a PC so that it can be converted(it's called munged) to a format playable in Star Wars Battlefront.

The original SIDES are in the folder /BFBuilder/Assets/Sides/

In Breakdown's tutorial, skip until you reach:
QuoteWe're only going to bother with the "Sides" for now. For the sake of the tutorial we will just be making a simple Republic Side edit, which should give you an idea how to make other mods.

From there down should give you a basic idea on how to mod SWBF. Anytime you have a question, feel free to ask in this forum.

--AG

#TYBG

okay the only problem im having is launching the BFbuilder program because it is an .hta file, I tried changing the extension to .htm and that launched it but it wouldnt work properly. So does anyone know someway to open .hta files on mac?

BFBuilder is not supported on the Mac platform. You can only mod on a Mac, copy the folders in /BFBuilder/Assets/Sides/ to another location. From there, you can start modding. You can follow the tutorial written by Breakdown and the other tutorials available here and at GameToast.

--AG

#TYBG

alright so if I make a mod all I'd have to do to get it published is send the modded files to someone else to munge the files for me, right?

Yes, that is correct. I am also able to munge for you :D

#TYBG