My Best Skinning so far

Started by Snake, April 15, 2010, 04:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 15, 2010, 04:19:32 AM Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:32:18 AM by Snake
Well, I am working on a Kamino project. I will give a sneak peek (Not of the map but the sides). I have done really good (Or I think so) in skinning. I have done some new things. I mainly want to show you my LA AT. Because the only other skins that are done are the trooper and pilot. So here's some pics of the LA-AT (There is also a pic of the trooper in-game)

In .MSH Viewer:

InGame:

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Cool. If you make the red transparent then from certain angles it would look like real teeth.

Nah, I want it to look like the clone wars ship. Like it's painted on.  :) But good idea mike. I'm posting in-game pics now.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

that is sooo awesome! why can't i have a ship like that to fly around in every day? well? it's only fair. :rofl: just kidding. wonderful work, snake. keep it up!   *stares at the pics :tv: *  my dream ship! :wub:  Can I have it for my desktop? :D

lol i can send you a jpg to set as your background....  :happy: Thanks for the compliments. I'm also working on the guns. To make the front guns more like machine guns instead of slow easily burnt out lasers. I also will give the missiles more of a bang.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

The texture looks very painted (and not in the way you want; I mean that it looks like you used Paint). Don't use flat colors and try not to use brushes for strokes that large. It's a good start, and the concept is right, but it doesn't look very good right now.

Actually it looks very awesome :D and yes it looks just how I wanted it to. I didn't use brush strokes larger than 20 pixels.  :shrug:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 15, 2010, 03:19:58 PM #8 Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:24:11 PM by Maveritchell
Quote from: Snake on April 15, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
Actually it looks very awesome :D and yes it looks just how I wanted it to. I didn't use brush strokes larger than 20 pixels.  :shrug:
Did you want criticism or praise?

Here is an example of a fairly decent version of the same texture:

[No spoiler tags apparently, sorry about page width]
It's not perfect, but it's probably closer to the idea you were looking for.

If you're not looking for criticism, then fine, nice job on your retexture. Criticism is the only way you're going to get better, though.

April 15, 2010, 03:27:03 PM #9 Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:10:37 AM by Snake
Quote from: Maveritchell on April 15, 2010, 03:19:58 PM
If you're not looking for criticism, then fine, nice job on your retexture. Criticism is the only way you're going to get better, though.
No i just posted pics of the idea i was looking for. I didn't say I only wanted praise....This is exactly how I wanted it though. I'm not copying the exact ship from tcw.

@ Phobos, lol thanks, I think it's hardwired in the game to not allow ships underwater.. :shrug:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 15, 2010, 03:27:03 PM
I didn't say I only wanted praise....This is exactly how I wanted it though. I'm not copying the exact ship from tcw.
I'm glad it turned out like you wanted, but if it is the case - and I suspect it is - don't hide behind "it's how I want it" when someone says that it should be better. Just because something represents the extent of your skill level does not mean that you have to be satisfied with it. To be perfectly honest, I have a hard time understanding how you could truly want it as it is, since right now it very clearly looks like it just has solid colors brushed on. It's low-quality and can easily be better.

That's not a statement against you or your work, but please don't be satisfied with something so basic. It's so easy to do much better with just a little practice.

Snake, don't ask me to delete messages again. Mav makes a valid point and yes, it does look like it was made in paint. You will improve over time, and hopefully you will soon acquire a real image manipulation program.

#TYBG

If there's an issue of getting a non-MSPaint tool; there are two very powerful free tools available in the GIMP and Paint.NET. I use and prefer Paint.NET (it supports lots of neat plugins and the UI I like better), but lots of people will swear by GIMP, too. Either one is a great step up and a necessity for working with any sort of image-editing for a game, because you'll need an app that can work in layers.

April 15, 2010, 06:31:02 PM #13 Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:13:07 AM by Snake
Quote from: Maveritchell on April 15, 2010, 03:48:22 PM
Just because something represents the extent of your skill level. since right now it very clearly looks like it just has solid colors brushed on. It's low-quality and can easily be better.

That's not a statement against you or your work
LOL!!!the extent of my skill?? :rofl: i did the mouth in almost 1 minute. If i put more than 30 mins into it i could make the same thing you posted. It was made in paintshop...like I said it is just how I wanted. I may smooth out the black parts a little though.  8)
ag  :wub:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 16, 2010, 05:30:44 AM #14 Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:39:38 AM by Maveritchell
Quote from: Snake on April 15, 2010, 06:31:02 PMsaying " i think flat colors are the extent of your skill" then saying "not that your bad" is like me saying "i want to rip your guts out" then saying " not that i dont like you "
Don't hyperbolically read in a personal attack on someone's judging of your skill level (incidentally I never said either of the two things you just quoted). If that represents the extent of your skill, all I was saying was not to be satisfied. I never said anything about your person or attempted to invalidate your work. No one's perfect, but that doesn't mean you have to be satisfied with where you are.

It's incredibly demoralizing when any time I try to post constructive criticism (or offer feedback, or answers, etc.) it's met as a personal attack. I'm trying to help you and if you simply don't want my help, please at least do me the service of just saying so (and believe me, there would be no hard feelings - I'd much rather just be asked not to help instead of trying and feeling like I'm beating my head against a wall) instead of acting hurt. I understand that I can be brusque, but there are more than enough cheerleaders here and not enough who give actual feedback.