Important SWBF1 Utilities Links

Started by Snake, April 09, 2010, 10:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well actually i dont want to use your assest in my maps.I just want to check the odfs.And from them to make my own new different things.For example:The R2D2.  :P I try to add it in my map but there is alot of problems and crash so i was think if you release them to check how you make them to work so i can make my own diferent things.Thats my point.You can just release the odfs thats all.I totally agree whit you that it will be good every modder to try make something new.Write now i am trying but need little help.The best help will be only to see how you do it.When i understand everything i will start to make new things.You are the best modder here and we can learn very interesting things from you but how to learn when you dont give nothing to see.  :P :D  Give us only the odfs and soon not only i but and other peoples will show new things.Thats the way...of the jedi  :rofl:
none

April 21, 2010, 08:37:04 PM #16 Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:43:36 PM by Napseeker
Well I said this over and over again on the old forum: I'm always available to help people with questions... you've emailed me for help, so has Snake, and a few other people.  I've never turned people down when they want to gain some insight into something I did.  I usually just explain how I did it, rather than give out the ODF straight.  Why? Because really the work isn't just in doing the effect, it's also in putting together the ODF too.  The only time I am likely to say "no" is just when a modder wants a straight asset release. 

I said it on the old forum: I don't want any of my maps/mods to be looked at as an automatic asset release.  It just promotes laziness and actually discourages *me* from continuing on with modding (I want to see other modders independently come up with mind-blowingly innovative stuff that makes me wonder how they did it - that's rare but that's what I like to see as a challenge put forth in front of me to replicate their discovery in my own way). 

Here: I'll explain how the double-sided lightsaber works and for those who want to make their own, if you're any decent modder at all, this should be all you need to know to put together the ODF:

- use a charge-up on the cannon weapon
- the effect of the double-saber is just the charge effect (you'll have to customize the visual using the Particle Editor)
- the damage done to enemies is from emitting an ordnance (if memory serves, this was just bullets? I don't have my ODF in front of me - but you can pretty much use whatever ord type works best for you); fire the ordnance in several directions like a shotgun but keep it invisible (for reasons I would assume are obvious)
- my own lightstaff is set up so that the longer you charge it up, the wider its range of attack so anyone who charges up to the max effectively "swings wide" and gets to hit more enemies in one swoop.  Otherwise, if you just tap and release the fire button you swing quick and short which means you're less likely to hit as many foes and will have to tap quickly again to do enough damage to kill them
- the swing also generates another effect which is used to simulate the swing of the double-saber (this was glitchy in ver1.1 but looks exceptionally good in ver2), again this has to be made in the Particle Editor
- play as my Jedi Knight character in EAG1.1 to watch how this all works when in action (duh)

If you need another clue, think of it this way: take the shotgun ODF, add a charge-up and then the two lightsaber effects mentioned above.  The hard work is obviously in making the lightsaber effects (no one said it would be easy) but you'll learn a lot about the PE as you fool around inside it - I know I did!   

Seriously, if someone can't make their own lightstaff at this point, then they don't know enough about ODFs to begin with to know what to do with my ODF even if they had it, other than just to change a couple of values around to tweak it to their liking.  That's not the kind of modding practice I want to encourage. 

EDIT: forgot to address your point about the R2D2... I did help you with that over pms short of giving you the ODF.  I explained how I made my R2 work.  The ODF is not just a "clue" it IS the whole implementation of R2D2 itself.  I mean, the asset is the ODF, not the R2 mesh (the msh you can get from the mod tools).  I even said "send me your ODF and let me look at the work you've done already on implementing your own R2" so I can help you out but you never replied back.   Any modder who shows me that they've already done some serious investigation trying to replicate my stuff will get equally serious help from me.  The commitment from me will match the commitment the other person makes (although I would rather they come to me with a totally *new* idea of their own that they want to implement and just ask my thoughts if it is possible - rather than just wanting to duplicate one of my ideas).

Just a heads-up, this is a utilities links topic. If you would like to discuss dual light sabers and such, I will gladly split the topic for you guys.

--AG

#TYBG

Yes, if anyone wants to continue discussing the dual lightsaber AG, feel free to move this portion to its own dedicated thread.  That includes discussing R2D2 as well - gogo, post your current R2 ODFs and your error log for the crash and let's work on fixing your problems publicly.  I'm sure other people want to put R2 into their maps as well so let's get input from all the modders about the best way to do an R2 implementation that everyone can make use of. 

Ok i want to say that i know very little things about odf coding.I just get the rep clone trooper odf and just change the mesh names whit r2d2 but what to add in the lowres name section?Thats my first noob question  :XD:
none