Faster internet

Started by Carbon27, April 30, 2014, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
 I am really getting sick of the slow internet I have. I can get under 200 MS anytime to a NY server from where I live(WI). Best is around 160 MS and the worst can be 200 MS, this is around 6-7 PM. My ping doesn't stay the same, it is always moving around.

I live outside of town in a large cluster of houses. There are many houses, enough to deserve cable internet. Unfortunately cable is four miles away from where I am. It would be too expensive to do cables.

I have an ethernet connection from my router to my PC, but the ping just won't get below 150 at ANY reasonable time from WI to NY. Is there anything I can do to lower my ping?

I did a ping plotter test and I have no clue how to use it. It could be written in Greek and I wouldn't understand it less. Are more hops good or bad? Is there any way to add/subtract the umber of hops?

Money is no object, but it should still stay within reason. At this point I would be willing to pay 250$ a month for good cable internet. Well if I could come up with that kind of money, but if I had a way I would pay it. All I really need is 150 MS.

I can't switch ISP, the one I have is the best one in my area. And the other ones in my area, are "wake me up when the page loads" speed. Unless there is some company that provides 150 MS or lower internet everywhere and anywhere in the states, there are no other ISPs to choose from.

This is my ISP.
www.cellcom.com/planDetails.html?navtype=personal&service=internet&type=residential&plan=residential

I hope I gave enough info, help is greatly appreciated. I posted a picture of the Ping Plotter below.

Thank you so much for reading, I am getting so desperate!

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Ok, here is what I've learned after living my whole life with Dial-up Internet at home:
56kbps (40 is the real max at home) does teach you a few things.

First question is:  What are you trying to do?  Download gigantic files or casual web surfing?  Playing older games or trying to play Internet-taxing MMOs?

Older games should chug along fine if you are playing them online.  Tunngle has dwindled that capability, but if you can connect to Tunngle you are further than Dial-up ever got me.  Casual web surfing should work just fine too.  If you find your websurfing times are slow, consider getting something like an accelerator or look through the settings on your browser and turn off images.  Normally that will bring your load times down.  There are certain things like download accelerators and other small things that could work, but just be careful when going through this stuff.

But, that's just the basic stuff on your end.  Sometimes, this will not solve your problems.  The other options?  Well, other Satellite Internet providers could be able to give you good prices and speeds, but you may really have to watch your usage.  Although I can see you preferably want cable.  The policy in many areas (including mine) is that so many people had to sign a petition and pledge to use the new Internet if they ran the cables through, which can pay itself off for both sides in the long run.

The reason I could not go this route was due to the fact I was in a rural area (nowhere, no neighbor for a mile), so we could not get signatures other than us.  Your area sounds like it could do this.

Other than this, I can't help much.  At least it's not 56 kbps (we go to relative's houses and use theirs for downloads and videos).
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Your ping is so high because you're using a wireless internet provider - mobile communications services are always going to induce high ping because of your distance from a hardwired base station. Transmitting information through the air will always be slower than a wire.

You will not be able to improve your ping via any methods other than switching ISPs. I'd look into DSL options, though I'm not sure where you live and can't vouch for their availability. If you have landline phone service, there is usually DSL available. Satellite internet will be much worse than your current internet.

I don't think any third-party solutions will speed up your internet. The problem is that you're on mobile internet and you probably live in an area that's not serviced by a major provider. The only solution that will permanently solve your problem is switching ISPs.

Your ping is really only an issue when playing games. It'll make webpages slightly slower to start loading, but that's about it. Speed is a larger factor with websites. Ping is the issue with games.

With regards to your ping map thing, that basically tells you the path that your requests are taking to travel to the server. Requests over the Internet often go over a variety of interconnected providers to reach their final destinations. You start off from home, but then there's a big jump to the first node - this is your mobile delay in effect. From there, you jump around in your provider's network until you connect to Charter's network somewhere else (looks like Eau Claire, WI). You can tell this by the abbreviations in the server names. Then you go to Chicago, where you connect to another provider (nLayer), and you then are taken to Dallas, where the server in question appears to be (where I live).

Here's my own trace to the IP:

Tracing route to nrtservers.com [72.249.94.226]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    11 ms    16 ms     7 ms  172.17.104.1
  2     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  rrcs-24-173-8-25.sw.biz.rr.com [24.173.8.25]
  3    26 ms     7 ms     7 ms  97.77.1.152
  4    13 ms    12 ms    13 ms  tge0-8-0-12.grldtxdw02r.texas.rr.com [24.175.50.104]
  5    10 ms    13 ms    15 ms  agg21.dllbtxlb02r.texas.rr.com [24.175.36.201]
  6    67 ms    11 ms     9 ms  agg21.hstqtxl301r.texas.rr.com [24.175.49.8]
  7    20 ms    10 ms     9 ms  ae-4-0.cr0.hou30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.54]
  8    10 ms    12 ms    11 ms  ae-0-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.39]
  9     9 ms    55 ms    11 ms  ae2.pr1.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [107.14.17.236]
10     *        8 ms     8 ms  xe-1-3-2.cr1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.63.1]
11    10 ms    14 ms    17 ms  69.31.54.194
12    12 ms    10 ms     9 ms  quadranet-colocrossing.quadranet.com [96.44.148.54]
13    13 ms    10 ms    11 ms  10ge-1.4.1.2002.dfw1.colocrossing.com [206.217.134.14]
14     8 ms    65 ms    76 ms  nrtservers.com [72.249.94.226]

You only take a few more hops than I do, and I'm probably less than 25 miles away from this server. So there's nothing wrong with your routing (the path of your requests, or number of hops), your internet is just slow. Only way to fix that is to get new Internet, unfortunately.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

I finally managed to get fast(ish) broadband using a local scheme where you get wireless internet through a satellite dish but it comes from a mast (like analogue TV) instead of space so I get 6mb, or up to 20 if you pay more, download and upload speed but only 20-30 ping.
The only problem is I haven't heard of any similar providers anywhere else but it does show that there are options other than the usual and maybe in a few years time the ping will be reduced on proper satellite broadband to make it useable for gaming anyway.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Wireless services are horrible for gaming and hungry programs like Tunngle, Skype and Steam.

From early 2011 to mid 2012 I had some crappy service called "Clearwire"

This was the most horrible thing I ever dealt with in terms of computing, internet, hardware .. etc..

Not only was my best ping around 180 (for swbf2 ps2) but any page took well too much time to load, even for a good computer.

And on top of this the "tech support" monkeys didn't know jack sh!t. All they ever told me was "reset your device" or call this number to get a signal reset.

My point here is that most wireless systems are bad. I mean Clear was soooooo bad, they have hate sites(google it)

I  have now the At&t service for $51 a month, I get about 2-3 megabit and with about 1m upload. It's very stable for gaming, with swbf2 pc pings being around 40 and around 70 on the ps2 version. I can handle any site fine and get large downloads that don't take an eternity as if I was using 150kbs on Crapwire.

If you put money into something, you have a right to demand a better service. Threaten to leave the service, when I told Crapwire I was leaving, they tried to make up some offer that sounded good but I knew wasn't gonna be any better.

If you demand a better service you can maybe get it, or bother them constantly until they will do something for you to satisfy you.

Also I read somewhere on google, that google is placing fiber optic services with over gigabit speeds in some parts of the nation.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

@DP

The game I have been playing recently is old, 11 years old to be exact. Would a newer game increase my ping, or does it not work like that?
I doubt getting signatures would get a cable company to put cables in the area, the cost would be pretty bad. But I have only gotten a little information on how much it would cost. It couldn't hurt to try. 

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on May 01, 2014, 08:24:05 AM
I finally managed to get fast(ish) broadband using a local scheme where you get wireless internet through a satellite dish but it comes from a mast (like analogue TV) instead of space so I get 6mb, or up to 20 if you pay more, download and upload speed but only 20-30 ping.
The only problem is I haven't heard of any similar providers anywhere else but it does show that there are options other than the usual and maybe in a few years time the ping will be reduced on proper satellite broadband to make it useable for gaming anyway.

You might have to explain this to me in a different way. It looks promising. But I don't know exactly what you are saying.

Thank you so much for the responses, especially JK. That was quite a lot of information! Thank you so much!

@Anthony yeah there was some company in my state that was like that. Element Mobile was the name. Lol it was the joke of the state. Element Mobile is way worse then what you had. Wouldn't even connect have the time. Oh yeah, and I was just using the internet. Phone was worse from what I hear. I can't threaten to leave what I have unfortunately, not without something else to substitute it with. Plus I actually don't mid it, it only hurts for gaming.

Well after I wrote this all out I did even more digging, I finally finally got some ISP finder to understand a street somewhere near where I live. Hughesnet was all it found, and heck no. Anyways I think what I am writting is understandable.

I'll try and explain what I have but like I say I think it's only a small company near me that do it so the chances of there being one near you are small. It's also very expensive to install the equipment but in this country you can get a government grant if you can't get more than 1mb and can prove you need it.

The only way to get fast broadband to most rural areas is wirelessly but normal satellite broadband has to go to space and back again so although it's fast it has a very high ping. The company I use have their transmitters on top of a tv/radio mast so the distance is a fraction of that and I get low ping. http://www.resqnet.co.uk/

Quote from: Carbon27 on May 01, 2014, 07:10:50 PM
@DP

The game I have been playing recently is old, 11 years old to be exact. Would a newer game increase my ping, or does it not work like that?

Ping is from the distance that information travels so it shouldn't matter about age. I think that 1000 ping is a 1 second delay on everything you do so 250 ping would be a quarter second delay which is actually quite a lot in games.

I've probably confused or bored anyone reading this now but my point is that I couldn't find fast broadband for years but I did in the end. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Oh, sorry GDH. I didn't think it was a company you where talking about. I thought you where talking about modifying my router or something like that. If I do anything it will be getting sigs to try to get cable in my area. But my connection is no longer an issue. Which sounds good, but isn't. My graphics card committed suicide yesterday. My PC is most likely dead now. But hey, I have had plenty of issues with this turd of a computer that seem to be fixed without doing anything myself. Sorry if this is unreadable, I am using a 3DS. Not so easy to post with one. Guess I will be playin PSP and Xbox 'till I get a new PC. Hoping to get a gaming one before Christmas.