[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey, a wild idea just sparked in my mind, if the back story behind the map is rebels atacking a empire base. How about you put in a rebel frigate with a hanger and a bit of interior and make it the starting CP for the rebels. You could have air vehicles like LAAT or whatever transport you can use and have a "drop site" of sorts and put the ground vehicles there. But this is your map and it's just my idea (I'm probably sounding like a obsessive soccor mom which isn't my intent, sorry)
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on June 23, 2014, 08:31:21 PM
Hey, a wild idea just sparked in my mind, if the back story behind the map is rebels atacking a empire base. How about you put in a rebel frigate with a hanger and a bit of interior and make it the starting CP for the rebels. You could have air vehicles like LAAT or whatever transport you can use and have a "drop site" of sorts and put the ground vehicles there. But this is your map and it's just my idea (I'm probably sounding like a obsessive soccor mom which isn't my intent, sorry)

Oh no you're fine. Only thing I'd really have against that is era specific stuff for the drop ship and the way the map is composed. I'm keeping it in the back of my head that I may very well be getting render popping on a lot of my meshes, as I plan on adding a lot of detail and singular location specific meshes. So I'm keeping long distance views to a minimum (meaning no flyers sadly). I will be adding in the ground vehicle assortment though for Imp and Rebel.

I'm not sure what the jetpack is based off of for the technical side but it would be cool to have something like a thrust pack that jets you with the same thrust as a Dark Trooper but in a more forward motion instead of up. Blitz Trooper of sorts?  :P
photobucket limit image removed

Looking good! I think this is going to be really neat! :tu:
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

June 27, 2014, 11:55:24 AM #108 Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:18:06 PM by Epifire
Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words but what's a video worth? Anywho I wanted to just take a quick stroll through the complex I've made and show what it's looking like here. Quick as in I can't record more than a minuet before I get a huge 2gb+ sized video file  :P

PS: If anyone knows how to embed xfire videos let me know!
http://social.xfire.com/video/6284a6

I made sure to make some cover in the tunnel as well. So modeling in the pipes with supports helped that out a bit. Something I'd been wondering about for a while though now. I reused the AAT main turret fire sound, for the turbo-laser but the pitch is all wrong. You can listen for yourself as it doesn't sound right. I've tried adjusting pitch settings via ODF or SND file to no avail. Well that and I keep dismounting from the wrong spot, as if you hop out you dismount above ground rather than in the bunker. Is there a line that can call out a specific hard point to dismount from?

June 27, 2014, 12:29:24 PM #109 Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:46:00 PM by Snake
That's the most amazing texturing I've ever seen in SWBF..

Hmm.. You've tried messing around with this? FireSoundPitch  = "0.5"
I don't know what else it could be..

Actually I think it sounds pretty cool how it is.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on June 27, 2014, 12:29:24 PM
That's the most amazing texturing I've ever seen in SWBF..

Hmm.. You've tried messing around with this? FireSoundPitch  = "0.5"
I don't know what else it could be..

Actually I think it sounds pretty cool how it is.

Well it's just annoying that I can't import a sound that actually works correctly. In the folder it sounds fine but in-game it does that. Trying any pitch adjustments haven't had any effect though. My Munge log does look like this though when it comes to the sounds department though...

Munging tes1.asfx
The system cannot find the file specified.
Munging tes1.req
Error: (null) is not a binary UCF file!Error: c:\games\lucasarts\bfbuilder\datat
es1\_build_pc\sound\worlds\tes1\munged\tes1.config is not a binary UCF file! [co
ntinuing]

Been trying to fix it and I'm not really sure what any of that means either lol

Alrighty, hadn't updated in a while since life had been kicking my  :censored: for the past couple weeks. Finally got down to business and modeled up the vehicle bay/the imp base...

This is definitely the largest indoor complex I've made for the map yet. In contrast of sitting an AT-ST next to my textures I'm strongly thinking of running a desaturation pass on the set so that it matches with more of a muted blue and grey. I'm also still wanting to drop the catwalk or somehow raise the walkers up a bit more so the cab comes up to the catwalk surface.

Getting close to working on the official layout (running with higher resolution terrain). I've got some smaller buildings to work on as well as non-playable ones to structure up different areas more. Besides a lotta small prop work for rocks and crates, control panels and whatnot, it's getting a lot further along!

That reminds me of some level on Jedi Knight!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on July 20, 2014, 10:59:14 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.  This looks astounding.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Snake on July 20, 2014, 10:59:14 AM
[spoiler]
Quote from: Epifire on August 25, 2013, 12:29:54 PM
Just JK: Jedi Outcast, since I love that game so much for it's locations. Might have been mapped in old BSP brushes but it still looks great to me for how they conveyed Imperial architecture...

I'm aiming for the Kejim color and lighting schemes so if you can imagine these white AO maps getting color added to look like that. I've looking over a lot of Imperial stuff in the past though so while I have my theme, most of the stuff is just added when I need it and I sorta follow mental guide lines I have for it. Most of which is... Keep it metal, make sure lots of edges (mainly door frames) have lights in them and also keep it boxy but make sure the edges are defined.

See one thing too many mappers don't understand (but was very well taken care of it JK:O) was minding the edges with textures. You can have something extremely boxy and simple in terms of geometry but if your edges are defined with details meant to handle edge work you can really make it pop. Often I'm using the same five textures for a whole building, but I know what I'm gonna use them for so if I keep that in mind they usually go a long ways. I still could use a couple more panel textures for interior work but so far it's been working out pretty well. What's really gonna be difficult is adding color and detail to my textures when I'm done making all the buildings.
[/spoiler]

Those textures are looking great in-game.
All that's missing is Kyle Katarn and his Jedi beard.

Thanks guys.  :wub:

Lighting is still tough cause I can only use like three to four at max in a close proximity to each other. I heard there is a light volume system that can change indoor lighting but I have no idea how to use that atm, or how well it would work for changing the mood.

July 24, 2014, 03:52:43 PM #117 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:57:39 PM by Epifire
Starting to work on some detail props to go in the buildings. This core here will go in a wall socket I specifically planned for it in the vehicle bunker...

I just used a photo reference as best I could and downsized it a little to fit in a building...

High poly...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Low poly final (still needs color/detail pass)...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I don't plan on making every prop that high poly, but since I am testing the engine's upper limits I'm putting a few "detail poppers" in there for key locations. Hoping to really pull together some good aesthetics for the whole map, with some good landmarks and maybe sparse animated props.

Hence why it's a closer built map due to the detail I wanna pack in it.

Now that is cool! Nice job with the accuracy.

Wow! It is absolutely amazing what you guys can do. :tu:
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014