Mods in multiplayer functionality - Can it be done?

Started by Armor-Abs.Krabs, January 15, 2018, 02:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi,

I'm very new here and was wondering if it would be possible for me to create a private multiplayer server with some mods (maps, skins, graphics) installed and a friend (who also has the same mods installed) could join and we could play together using mods with bots.

Is that possible? If so how can this be done?

My modding experience only goes as far as dragging a few files to the proper folder destination and playing around with some visual enhancements in instant action.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Yes, indeed you can do that.  I used to mod for SWBF1, so I will leave it to the SWBF2 experts to help you with that.  You will probably want to get the SWBF2 mod tools:

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=436

It can be a lot to take in all at once, but if you stick with it, modding can be a lot of fun.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks for responding so quickly!

I installed the mod tools and looked up some videos regarding how to use them, however I'm not sure that I'm interested in "creating" mods for the time being.

I'm looking to take mods that have already been created and utilize them in a multiplayer experience with a friend.

From your experience, is there a simple way to do this using the game's directory files in collaboration with downloaded mods or does it require some modding experience in order to do so?

Thanks again,

Chad

Yes.   I've not personally done it, but they can be installed.  You might search on Youtube for a video that explains it.

You will also either need to both play on GameRanger or GoG, which is pretty easy, or else you can install out SWBFspy patch.

Let us know if you need help.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

If the mod is multiplayer compatible, it should appear/be activated when you fire up the server for Multiplayer. If you have a side mod, it should work immediately once the game gets going. If you have a map you're looking to use, find it in the map list when creating the server.

If it doesn't show up, it probably means the creator had the foresight to see that it wouldn't work in multiplayer. If the game crashes, well...that answers that question as well  :P

So really, you just have to install the mods you want and create a server as normal. Make sure your friend also has these same mods and you will be good to go.
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.