XSI: 3DModeling, Texturing, Animation : Everything you need to know/FAQ

Started by Bamdur, January 13, 2011, 06:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is the XSI Everything you need to know Thread and should answer most questions you have about XSI. If your questions is not answered here make a topic about the thing you need.

Model Designing

Basic Props

Q: How do I make a Basic model?

A: There are Several basic shapes used in XSI. Cube, Sphere, Cylinder and Cones. To place one of these
on Right Side of XSI Click Primitives, Polygon Mesh, Then one of the following Objects. You can customize how your object looks in the options box. on left hand side you will see tools for rotation, scaling and translating. move your object into place and then you add textures

Q: How do i texture objects?

A: At top of toolbar Click Render, Texture, Image and then select and apply your texture. (more detailed tutorial to come)

Q: How do i export my model?

A: Two steps. 1. Make a null called dummyroot (primitive-null) and place all objects under it.(drag and drop) 2. install the Pandemic XSI Addon by downloading the file from the xsi thread and clicking file, install plugin/addon then install it. Now restart xsi and MIDDLE CLICK the null then click file-pandemic tools-export mesh.
with just export selected mesh only and export textures if u need (you can click them all if u need) and save in an area you can find it. you have now made your mesh and just need to make an odf

Q: after i exported and looked at my mesh in msh viewer i see nothing

A: make sure you had all your objects under dummyroot and MIDDLE CLICKED(BRANCH SELECT) your dummyroot and then exported

Basic Weapons (guns)

Q: how do i make a gun?

A: make your mesh (explained above ) add a null called hp_fire by where u want the bullets to shoot out of now make your dummyroot and place it where u want ur soldier to hold it. now place everything under dummyroot and middle click and export

Flyers

Q: how do i make a flying ship?

A: make your mesh(explained above) place a null called hp_pilot where u want pilot to sit. next make a hp_weapon (make a hp_weapon2 if you need) where you want the things to shoot out of your flyers blasters.
make a dummyroot and position it. place all objects under dummyroot. Branch select(MIDDLE CLICK) dummyroot and export.

Unit skinning
Q: how do i retexture a unit?

A: Download gimp ( Http://www.gimp.org ) install it. Drag your .tga file into gimp and make ur changes (read gimp user manual if u need help) save as .tga  MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK RLE COMPRESSION! munge your new skin and your done.

Basic Unit

Q: how do i make my very own unit mesh?

A: Download Phyc0freds Unit Template Beta http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/Unit_template_Beta.zip

Import it into xsi. Make 4 new layers by pressing 6 on the keyboard. then click make new layer name them
Unit_skeleton
Unit_rig
Unit_shadowvolume
Unit_mesh

now press 8 on your keyboard to open up the explorer
then press L while in taht window move eveyrthing with  _bone in there name and _eff in there name to the skeleton layer alogn with hp_weapons

move the mesh with SV in its name to the shadowvolume layer

move anything with root in its name into rig layer. as well as dummyroot, ground dummy, lights, and camera nulls

move the override texture mesh and your own mesh into the mesh layer.

now select the over ride texture mesh and texture it with rep_inf_trooper then middle click it and then at top toolbar press animate, deform, set envolope   say yes to the popup then select anything with the name bone in it then right click and your done
now hide bone_root and bone_pelvis

now middle click Dummyroot and Export

if using your own mesh, hide the over ride texture mesh. and align your mesh to the bones.

merge your polymesh then follow envolope above.

More to be posted soon

Help Thread links go here:

What is mesh? What program do you use to edit this stuff, and how much money does it cost if it costs money, really appreciate a answer.

Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on March 04, 2012, 08:11:13 AM
What is mesh? What program do you use to edit this stuff, and how much money does it cost if it costs money, really appreciate a answer.

Mesh is .msh file extension it is the file format used for units buildings vehicles etc. They are made using XSI Softimage which cost money several hundred dollars in fact.

There are free trials available.  But, there is no use starting them until we know what to do with it.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hi Badmur, how can I import objects on a unit msh? How can I delete instead? Thank you for any future reply.
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers