mart and birdo discussions

Started by Black Water, May 12, 2019, 12:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 12, 2019, 12:42:29 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:59:25 PM by Led
Quote from: hellish hellbird on May 07, 2019, 01:53:14 AM
mood. for like anytime anyone ever took rages side over ours lol
I feel you Birdo. It was such a sucky feeling being painted as the enemy when he was the one using gruesome tactics. Of course, some of reacted in a not so cordial manner on this website when our opinions were suppressed, granted most of us were teens at that time and didn't know how to express our grievances properly. Oh well, the past is the past. I'm glad we can all come to an agreement about his true nature. The best thing we can do is ignore him, it's obvious he wants attention. This is the only thing he has in life—poor chap.

The community here had rules then and they do now.

"Opinions being suppressed" is not the same as censoring and stopping fights. The moderators here did and still do a good job and stopped those incidents from getting much worse, no matter who started them.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on May 12, 2019, 02:07:22 PM
The community here had rules then and they do now.

"Opinions being suppressed" is not the same as censoring and stopping fights. The moderators here did and still do a good job and stopped those incidents from getting much worse, no matter who started them.

Actually, it is the same. Censoring arguments equates to opinions being suppressed, whether that was the intended purpose or not. Especially when you're not allowed to share your side of the story. I'm not sure why you're so defensive on this topic.

Given as Phobos was once a moderator.... I don't think they all did a good job. Clearly, there were favorites due to Phobos being a highly contributive member in regards to mods. I won't call out any names besides his, though. Like I said, the past is the past. No one is perfect, especially not a group of people. Seems like the mods are doing a very good job of handling the place as of late, given there aren't really any factions.

Phobos was not a moderator here ever.

I am being defensive of the moderators here - they went through some rough patches, especially during tournaments that they shouldn't have had to step in for.  The mods tried to let threads run their course and yes, it turned to flaming and content deemed inappropriate to our forum, and it led to people getting angry with the mods.  Explaining sides got nowhere, and lines were drawn.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Phobos a moderator at SWBFgamers.com...that's a good one.   :rofl:

I think you are mistaking this forum for some other forum... 

My recollection is that you have never been a problem in this forum, and have not been censored here.  Let's keep it reasonable.

Phobos was here as long as he kept himself reasonable on this forum and to this website.  It had nothing to do with his mods--mods that no one here used.  (His toolbox compilations were useful.)

Call out the moderators Mart, go ahead.  I'd like to hear what you think--and I will be sure to set the record straight if needed.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on May 12, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
Phobos a moderator at SWBFgamers.com...that's a good one.   :rofl:

I think you are mistaking this forum for some other forum... 

My recollection is that you have never been a problem in this forum, and have not been censored here.  Let's keep it reasonable.

Phobos was here as long as he kept himself reasonable on this forum and to this website.  It had nothing to do with his mods--mods that no one here used.  (His toolbox compilations were useful.)

Call out the moderators Mart, go ahead.  I'd like to hear what you think--and I will be sure to set the record straight if needed.
I thought I remembered seeing his name right below forum staff for a while when I logged in, but I could be wrong—this was years ago.

I'm keeping it reasonable, most of what I remember is from the top of my head, so it is not 100% fact. Merely discussion. I don't have any intention of not being civil.

Although you seem to disagree, it's obvious Phobos was given leeway due to his modding contributions to the community. Had any other player crashed as many servers, wrote backhanded flaming on the forum, doxed kids, as he did during the time, had obvious use of radar, I believe they would've been banned/had comments deleted way earlier. It took a whole lot of flaming behavior for him to finally get the boot from the community. A lot of you guys in the community turned a blind eye towards his behavior until it was finally directed towards personal territory. I highly doubt it was for any other reason besides his mods, that's all he had to offer. Phobos revealed his true colors long, long ago and although we warned people, nothing happened.

Question, if I asked for anyone's IP address, would a mod be allowed to give it to me? According to Phobos a few years ago, a moderator confirmed my IP address to him. I'm not sure why I believed him then, but more than likely he handed over evidence that supported that conclusion. I'm not going to reveal any names, I just want to know if one of my grievances had any substance to it. .

I could go read previous posts to jog my memory about other occurrences, given this was years ago, but it's not worth the effort—I'm not gonna go digging up stuff just to get someone in trouble/look bad, I'm not petty. Those who experienced the same injustices or are willing to look back at threads will come up with their own reasonable conclusion. If my thoughts are not believed so be it.  :cheers:

Quote from: Black Water on May 12, 2019, 09:11:18 PM
Question, if I asked for anyone's IP address, would a mod be allowed to give it to me? According to Phobos a few years ago, a moderator confirmed my IP address to him. I'm not sure why I believed him then, but more than likely he handed over evidence that supported that conclusion. I'm not going to reveal any names, I just want to know if one of my grievances had any substance to it. .
The website staff? There (unsurprisingly) isn't actually have a specific policy about it. But did anyone do it? Probably not, the moderators Led picks for the site all tend to be quite nice and reasoned people. I mean I can't say for certain that no one ever has, the IP used to make a post is displayed beneath it so it's not something we can audit. I do find it very unlikely that anyone would've though; people do make mistakes though so it isn't impossible.

But the website used to have a lot of board moderators (Who as I'm sure you can guess by the name got some moderator permissions on their board but weren't actually forum moderators/staff.) for it's private or specific mod boards. I actually can't remember if board moderators get to see IP addresses of posts, I think they might have been able to though. If so it's possible that if you had posted on one of the private or dedicated boards moderated by an individual as opposed to the site's staff that they could've leaked your IP address.

Also I think this may explain why you remember seeing Phobos listed under Forum Staff on the front page. Board moderators used to be mistakenly listed under Forum Staff and I think Phobos once was a board moderator. (Possibly for the FC clan board or his TWD mod board, Led may remember better.) It's possible you saw his name listed there back when it shouldn't have been.

Yes, he was a board moderator for the FC boards and his TWD board.  Board moderators were listed under "staff" but only until SK figured out how to remove them from the listing.  They did have the ability to move and edit posts on their boards.

The way your post reads, you were upset that we did not ban him from the beginning.  Phobos (mostly) kept within our rules here until the work on the master server.  I won't ban people here for things they were alleged to have done elsewhere--that really would be suppressing opinions. 

Phobos was also helpful in answering questions about modding.  When channeled appropriately, his energy and enthusiasm for the game did result in items that were of benefit to the community.  So you can say he stayed here because 1) he didn't break the rules (until he did) and 2) he was contributing.  But I will dispute that he was here and got away with anything here because of his mods. 

There were a lot of groups of young players posting all kinds of things on each other's Freewebs guestbook pages.  I was not going to let that happen here--and it didn't.

As far as IP addresses go, I did confirm some IP addresses with Phobos when he brought them to me.  IP addresses follow you around the internet and go everywhere with you.  Every site you ever visit has your IP address.  The only way to mask it is to use a VPN like TOR--and don't think for a moment TOR doesn't know your actual IP address and what you are doing.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The reason the ip thing was a big deal was because rage had threatened several people hed ddos them which lead us to believe he had infected his mods. But what mart said is accurate to alot of people here towards rages perceived leniency considering the "alleged" part was pretty obvious to see when his webs fc site was active and how he had several pages devoted to different people. Like its one thing for someone to go and say "rage is crashing all the servers i have no proof but its him!" of course thats hearsay but when its his own words on his own website run by himself and nobody else what part is "alleged" in regards to him doxing a bunch of us and while that may not be against the rules here to do elsewhere we were all part of the same dwindling community and it felt like you ignored us and took his side over it all. No hard feelings against it now i just wanted to say what alot of us felt before rage showed his colors to you guys as well