OverrideTexture Compatible Units

Started by tirpider, October 25, 2012, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 06, 2015, 12:22:26 AM #45 Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:43:30 AM by Gistech
Just a quick question: before, the stock Chewbacca had a bone problem with the hip bag the model has. Because the skeleton is a little different (and I'd assume you can't use the BF2 Chewbacca skeleton in BF1) the bag stretches to the floor. Was this fixed when you made the model OTC compatible?

Also, an idea if you wanted to do the Jedi. You could use the BF1 Mace Windu or BF2 Jedi skirt with a remapped UV. You would have to adjust for Darth Maul though. I've done BJ mockups of what these might look like if you're interested.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

May 22, 2015, 06:50:49 AM #46 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:10:35 AM by Gistech
A bit of a bump, but did you ever figure out how to finish these? I was wondering, as you can essentially export the capes on the BF2 units as 'enveloped' meshes like the BF1 caped units. Of course, there are some modifications that need to be done to get it to work IE getting the skirt printed to the right bone (I believe bone_pelvis is suitable for the skirts as dummyroot goes beneath the unit). I'm experimenting with that now.

EDIT: Doesn't quite work out as I intended as a lot of it is mapped to the bone_root. However, that's not to say it's not possible: it should be a simple matter of simply re-enveloping the skirt and adjusting the weights. However... it may be easier for certain units to either stick to BF1 versions (Snowtrooper, ARC Trooper) or to map those units with the ARC skirt (primarily for Episode III units)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: tirpider on October 25, 2012, 11:53:15 PM
OverrideTexture Compatible Units
(OTC units)

The goal of this series is to give all the playable units OverrideTexture compatability for convienience and consistancy in modding and side building.

(read more of my rambling here:)[spoiler]
A side effect is that it gives me the opportunity to address functional issues of some of the shipped assets.  Several of the models have unneeded hidden  geometries, defunct materials, stray polygons, ect.  Some I can fix, others I can't.   I will be aproaching each model with the intention of normalizing the preformance of all of them as a whole.

I will also be working on the Star Wars Battlefront II units.  The modifications I wil be making will be guided toward SWBF1 compatability.  They will still work with SWBF2 (as all SWBF1 models will, ) but added features, such as cloth, special collision chunks, and certain render types will be removed and a suitable repacement made with SWBF1 standards.

Almost all of the models will be identical in appearance and preformance to the originals.  The idea is that these can be used in place of the originals to enhance the flexibility of modding and side building.

Some of the changes to expect:

• All units will be OverrideTexture compatible to varying degrees. (Including lowres models.)

• Cloth geometries in BF2 units will be replaced, and suitible replacements found or fabricated.

• Certain models will be "prepped" for ambitious hex-edits. (head swapping, ect..) I will also be saving my build environments for each. Contact me if you would like to explore one.

• Random repairs. I'm just starting and every other msh has something that keeps it from it's full potential.
    (before 'repairing', I always try to determine if the part is intentionaly like that or if the fix will make it worse. I will always err on the side of preformance.)

• Everything will be documented.  If you want to know what I did to a model, read the txt file included in it's archive.  If it doesn't make sense, ask me what it means, I'll be happy to explain.

I may not be able to do all of them for a variety of reasons, (Time, complexity, unavailability of cloth replacements, lack of testing capabilities,) but I will try to get to as many as I can.

As the project advances, I will be looking into the other side mshs (such as weapons, vehicles, and 1st person models) and assembling side builders for each of the sides the models are sourced from.  The animated player units should keep me busy for a while, so it will be some time before all that starts.

The recent posts won't alert you to each new unit (it was flooding the assets forum,) but I will bump this thread as milestones, such as a completed side, are reached.

v2 Update Notes:
Almost all the units had hard to detect problems. (Only one person reported it), but I resolved the issue with every unit anyway. Adding some "just-in-case" adjustments to the method used to do these OTC edits to prevent future issues.

Future units will wear the _v2 on thier archive name to indicate they have been rebuilt with the improved method, and if I need to update the method again, it will become _v3 and I'll adjust existing releases before moving forward again.

This will be very likely as I discover new methods of geometry conversion. But the OverrideTexture part will probably always be the hardest and a "by hand" process.

_v2 changes:
- reindexed MNDX fields. (it should import via ZETools now.)
- removed faulted animation tags (my fault from an error in an earlier program, not Pandemic's)
- normalized all weights
- rebuilt, the rebuilt triangle lists, and padded as needed.
- re-calculated padding on string values.

[/spoiler]

The unit downloads can be found under the spoilers in the next section, and in the OTC Units area in the downloads section of this site.

The Units

ALL - Rebel Alliance (23 of 27)(the last 4 are on hold)
[spoiler]
SWBF 1 units
unit  status - notes
- Luke Skywalker(Jedi)_v2           d/l ready
- Rebel Marksperson_v2              d/l ready
- Rebel Marksperson (snow gear)     (use Rebel Marksperson with OverrideTexture = "All_Inf_marksman_snow.tga" in it's ODF.)
- Rebel Pilot_v2                    d/l ready
- Rebel Snowtrooper_v2              d/l ready
- Rebel Soldier_v2                  d/l ready
- Rebel Fleet Trooper_v2            d/l ready
- Rebel Medic_v2.1                  d/l ready Updated Skin (Thanks, Unit 33!)
- Wookiee_v2                        d/l ready

SWBF 2 units
unit  status - notes
- Bothan Spy_v2                     d/l ready
- Chewbacca_v2                      d/l ready
- Han Solo(Smuggler)_v2             d/l ready
- Han Solo(Stormtrooper)_v2         d/l ready
- Luke Skywalker(Jedi)_v2           d/l ready
- Luke Skywalker(Pilot)_v2          d/l ready
- Luke Skywalker(Stormtrooper)_v2   d/l ready
- Luke Skywalker(Tatooine)_v2       d/l ready
- Princess Leia                     not yet - she needs a proper skirt
- Rebel Engineer_v2                 d/l ready
- Rebel Marksperson                 not yet - needs scaling and a neck/head skeleton adjustment
- Rebel Marksperson (snow gear)     not yet - needs scaling and a neck/head skeleton adjustment
- Rebel Pilot_v2                    d/l ready
- Rebel Snowtrooper_v2              d/l ready
- Rebel Soldier                     Stock Unit is OTC with no need to edit.
- Rebel Vanguard                    Stock Unit is OTC with no need to edit.
- Tantive IV Trooper_v2             d/l ready
- Wookiee                           not yet - testing dreadlock solutions
[/spoiler]

CIS - Confederacy of Independent Systems (5 of 14)
[spoiler]
SWBF 1 units
unit  status - notes
- Battle Droid_v2       d/l ready
- Count Dooku_v2        d/l ready
- IG-88                 not yet - CodaRez fixed this one up better than I think I can.  I'll still work on it, but later rather than sooner.
GT link :*Improved* Stock IG-88
- Super Battle Droid    d/l ready
- Droideka              not yet

SWBF 2 units
unit  status - notes
- Battle Droid          Stock Unit is OTC with no need to edit.
- Count Dooku           not yet
- Darth Maul            not yet
- Darth Sidious         not yet
- Droideka              not yet
- General Grevious      not yet
- Jango Fett_v2         d/l ready
- Magnaguard            not yet
- Super Battle Droid    not yet
[/spoiler]

EWK - Ewoks (0 of 2)
[spoiler]
SWBF 1 units
unit  status - notes
- Ewok 1   not yet
- Ewok 2   not yet

SWBF 2 units
unit  status - notes
- Ewok 1   not yet
- Ewok 2   not yet
[/spoiler]

DES - Jawa and Tuskens (1 of 2)
[spoiler]
SWBF1 & SWBF2 units are identical
unit  status - notes
- Jawa             not yet
- Tusken Raider_v2 d/l ready
[/spoiler]

GAR - Naboo Royal Palace Guards (1 of ?)
[spoiler]
SWBF 1 units
unit  status - notes
- Naboo Royal Palace Guard   d/l ready

SWBF 2 units
not yet
[/spoiler]

IMP - The Galactic Empire (24 of 24) (revising 1)
[spoiler]
SWBF 1 units
unit  status - notes
- AT-AT Commander_v2.1    d/l ready
- AT-AT Pilot_v2          d/l ready
- AT-ST Pilot_v2          d/l ready
- Darktrooper_v2          d/l ready
- Darth Vader_v2          d/l ready
- Imperial Pilot_v2       d/l ready
- Imperial Scout_v2       d/l ready
- Imperial Snowtrooper_v2 d/l ready
- Shocktrooper_v2         d/l ready
- Stormtrooper_v2         d/l ready

SWBF 2 units
unit  status - notes
- AT-AT Commander_v2        d/l ready
- AT-AT Pilot_v2            d/l ready
- AT-ST Pilot_v2            d/l ready
- Boba Fett_v2              d/l ready
- Darktrooper_v2            d/l ready
- Darth Sidious_v2          d/l ready
- Darth Vader_v2 (revising) d/l ready
- Death Star Gunner_v2      d/l ready
- Imperial Officer_v2       d/l ready
- Imperial Pilot_v2         d/l ready
- Imperial Scout_v2         d/l ready
- Imperial Snowtrooper_v2   d/l ready
- Shocktrooper_v2           d/l ready
- Stormtrooper_v2           d/l ready
[/spoiler]

REP - The Republic Army (1 of ?)
[spoiler]
SWBF1 units
-
SWBF2 units
unit  status - notes
- Ki-Adi-Mundi_v2 d/l ready
[/spoiler]

I've yet to catalog/start the following sides.
[spoiler]
GAM - Gammorean Guards
GEO - Geonosians
GUN - Gungans
JED - Jedi
SNW - Wampa
WOK - Wookiees
[/spoiler]

Tools Used in these edits:
[spoiler]

• 3D Object Converter 5.0(unregistered) (3D model viewer/converter)
  • AEdiX v3.0.5 (text editor)
  • OpenOffice.org Calc v3.4.1 (spreadsheet)
  • XVI32 v2.52 (hex editor)
  • AutoIT v3.3.8.1 (scripting language)
  • My MSH tools built with AutoIT (TagSizeValidator.exe, MSH2chunks.exe, chunk2MSH.exe, SWBF_MSH_INFO.exe, and now SchMEe.exe)
I went through a lot of tools to find that the above suited my process (and budget) best.
Their features either supported my skills or compensated for my ignorance.
[/spoiler]

If you would like me to jump ahead to a specific unit, let me know. I have no set order to do these in.

Treat these models in the same way you would the stock models as far as crediting and usage is concerned. It's all Pandemic's work, I'm just hilighting things and adding the OverrideTexture to them..
_
tirpider@yahoo.com
Visit http://www.swbfgamers.com/

hi tirpider, how do you make a msh overridetexture compatible?
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

Quote from: i2Bros on September 03, 2016, 10:02:42 AM
hi tirpider, how do you make a msh overridetexture compatible?

You usually have to have XSI to do it. You'd import your MSH file and rename the primary mesh you want to have an interchangeable texture as "override_texture". If your unit has two meshes and two textures, you'd name the second mesh as "override_texture2". Then you'd export it. Your .option file for the mesh MUST have the following line to work though:

-keepmaterial override_texture override_texture2

(the latter only if you have a mesh called override_texture2)
In Progress:

On Hold:

It would be so cool to do this by my own, but my softmunge doesn't work quite well or I'm not able to use it very much. :(
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers