OverrideTexture Compatible Units

Started by tirpider, October 25, 2012, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I once saw a rat climb a sheer painted sheetrock wall. There was nothing I could see for him to get a grip on, so I assumed he climbed it via pure tenacity.  So.. yeah. I have a rat as a mentor in a way... :P

I would love a new skin for the medic.  It was one of the neatest discoveries in the set of units so far.
I found a pic of the medical backpack in Psych0fred's misc folder on his secretsociety board. (link) But since it was never released, I see no reason to treat it as canon :)
Anything would help it stand as it's own unit.

As for BF2 Sniper girl, she is on the way. I had to pause to fix what I broke..
(It only took a few months to invent the right kind of wrench, and that turned into bending and breaking the wrench I had previously invented, and about 5 min to turn it.) 
But the OTC is ready to continue.  I'll get the 3 rebels that are already released but need patching first, then I'll make the sniper the next priority.

It may take a few days before I get back up to speed on putting these out again.

Quote from: tirpider on February 28, 2013, 03:23:03 PM
I once saw a rat climb a sheer painted sheetrock wall. There was nothing I could see for him to get a grip on, so I assumed he climbed it via pure tenacity.  So.. yeah. I have a rat as a mentor in a way... :P

I would love a new skin for the medic.  It was one of the neatest discoveries in the set of units so far.
I found a pic of the medical backpack in Psych0fred's misc folder on his secretsociety board. (link) But since it was never released, I see no reason to treat it as canon :)
Anything would help it stand as it's own unit.

As for BF2 Sniper girl, she is on the way. I had to pause to fix what I broke..
(It only took a few months to invent the right kind of wrench, and that turned into bending and breaking the wrench I had previously invented, and about 5 min to turn it.) 
But the OTC is ready to continue.  I'll get the 3 rebels that are already released but need patching first, then I'll make the sniper the next priority.

It may take a few days before I get back up to speed on putting these out again.
That image is very useful, I am pretty confidant I can replicate the targa just from that. (If not I'll use some artistic license)
Did you know, the unit's "Healing gun" .msh was released on GT?

Take as long as you need, because I will probably be liberal with the time taken on the texture. :panic:

Quote from: UNIT 33 on February 28, 2013, 10:49:47 PM
Did you know, the unit's "Healing gun" .msh was released on GT?

I've seen the gun floating around, wasn't sure where it was from though. 

I wonder if there are any stats for a medic class from the games planning days...

Here it is! I think I did a good job of replicating the texture... took about 40 minutes.
I threw in a unit skin which compliments the colour scheme of the back pack better for a bonus.

Ignore the texture distortion on the arms in the screenshot, I'm pretty sure that's .msh viewer being silly.

March 02, 2013, 07:14:16 AM #20 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:25:51 AM by tirpider
That is really nice, Unit. Thanks.
I will get it in the medic archive after morning coffee.

-edit
The distortion you are getting is from the shadow.   It isn't as well made as some of the others and pokes out of the model in places.   It also has UV's, so that's why it holds a texture instead of just being grey.  It is marked as hidden, so it won't show up in game.

-edit
The Medic is updated (with new screens for it's d/l page.)

Quote from: tirpider on March 02, 2013, 07:14:16 AM
-edit
The distortion you are getting is from the shadow.   It isn't as well made as some of the others and pokes out of the model in places.   It also has UV's, so that's why it holds a texture instead of just being grey.  It is marked as hidden, so it won't show up in game.
Oh ok, I just presumed I had corrupted my .msh viewer in some manner, since I run it off an SD card.

If there's anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on March 02, 2013, 08:36:56 AM
If there's anything else don't hesitate to ask.

I can't wait to get past the first run and start on varients.
Texturing talents will be in high demand at that point.  :P

Ok. Got those last 3 finished. (BF2 Rebel Snowtrooper, and the Rebel Snowtrooper and Rebel Soldier.)

I had somehow left out the envelope information for odd pieces in the lowres of those units.  They are fixed and tested now. (I know ya'll were losing sleep over it.)

Typical tirpider rambling under the spoiler:[spoiler]Now it is back to moving forward.  As I run across special needs units, I may take a while to finish them to build new tools especially for them. The BF2 Rebel Sniper is one of them.  It requires special .option and odf settings to get it working so it doesn't look mutated. I will try to transform the geometry so it can be used normally.  I don't know it it will be a simple scale operation or if I will need to invent some sort of inflate or a bone stretcher.... I may do the inflate anyway, I can think of a neato mod for that one....[/spoiler]

I just tried out the ATAT commander and for some reason his hands just float around him..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

March 03, 2013, 01:02:49 PM #25 Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:27:03 PM by tirpider
Quote from: Snake on March 03, 2013, 12:52:54 PM
I just tried out the ATAT commander and for some reason his hands just float around him..

I'll check it out.

-edit
Yeah.. I see it.  They aren't floating on my end, but there is certainly some hands not happening the way they are supposed to..

Thanks for reporting this, I'll have a repaired model up shortly.

Ok, the repaired ATAT Comander is up.
_v2.1 update:
- Added -hiresshadow to the .option.  The original did not have a shadow volume.
- Put animation tags back in. Their absense caused the hands(only) to not appear, and the lowres head to droop.
   This may affect other OTC models, and I have a planned fix that isn't quite ready beyond individual patches. Looks like their will be a _v3 after all.

It seems the game pays attention to the SKL2, BLN2, ANM2, CYCL, and KFR3 tags for more than the basepose of an animation.  I have a plan for building them as they are simply a copy of the TRAN (transform) entries for the envelope nulls.  I had avoided implementing it to avoid using DrCRC.exe to generate the "Zero" CRC's used in the animation tags, but I will push forward with it since it's mission critical.

Part of the new _v3 process will be in game screenshots so I can verify to myself that I actually tested the models in game.  I don't see how I would have let this one get by.

Quote from: tirpider on March 03, 2013, 03:43:35 PM

It seems the game pays attention to the SKL2, BLN2, ANM2, CYCL, and KFR3 tags for more than the basepose of an animation.  I have a plan for building them as they are simply a copy of the TRAN (transform) entries for the envelope nulls.  I had avoided implementing it to avoid using DrCRC.exe to generate the "Zero" CRC's used in the animation tags, but I will push forward with it since it's mission critical.

I have no idea what any of this means, but I am glad you are here with us!
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on March 03, 2013, 03:46:22 PM
I have no idea what any of this means, but I am glad you are here with us!

I second that.  :P
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

How I read it.

[spoiler]
Quote from: tirpider on March 03, 2013, 03:43:35 PM
It seems the game pays attention to the  :o:confused::blink::wacko:, and  :fish: tags for more than the :wub: of an animation.  I have a plan for building them as they are simply a copy of the  :shutup: (transform) entries for the  :bonk:.  I had avoided implementing it to avoid using  :wall: to generate the " :weilix::bomb: used in the animation tags, but I will push forward with it since it's  :punk:.
[/spoiler]