The Rise of Skywalker Thoughts and Opinions

Started by swgaming1015, December 19, 2019, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone seen the film yet? I saw it today and I actually think it's the strongest Sequel trilogy film, even if that's not saying much. My new saga films ranking:

9. The Phantom Menace
8. The Last Jedi
7. The Force Awakens
6. The Rise of Skywalker
5. Attack of the Clones
4. A New Hope
3. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
1. Return of the Jedi

I won't say any spoilers until more people have seen it but despite a few issues I thought it was a great film and a nice end.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Its trash, from what I've been told from many.  I obviously wasn't expecting anything good from the movie and have no intention of watching it.
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.

it was fine, nothing particularly bothered me

When The Force Awakens come i was so excited.After the failure and the next Eipsode 8 i simply do not care for episode 9.I do not plan to even watch it.I do not even accept thouse 3 new movies for Star Wars...and im a big star wars fan.Just my opinion.

I was really disappointed by Ep 7, and nothing can be better than Ep 8. so I expect this to be an even bigger disappointment.

EP9 wasn't the most horrible film ive ever seen, but lol it definitely is far from the greatest star wars film. Too much shoved into the plot. It get's a meh from me.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I'm probably biased after years of reading the expanded universe but overall although I liked the two JJ Abrams films (didn't like the last Jedi, I'm the opposite of critics apparently) I didn't think they were the best Star wars ones. They seemed to change too much for the sake of it... There was no Republic, Empire or regular locations like coruscant and they killed off the original cast. It just didn't seem Star warsy enough sometimes.

I still went to the first showings and enjoyed them though 😉
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

TROS Repaired what TLJ did for me, I honestly think that if JJ was in charge of TLJ then it wouldn't have been as bad it was.

Though, I did like how they took multiple things from the expanded universe and placed it in this film.

I rate it at least a 4/10, with TLJ being a -6/10.

I'm also biased in the area where I prefer TCW, The Mandalorian and the OT films over anything else to do with star wars.

The years just fly past, don't they?

December 25, 2019, 11:44:51 AM #9 Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:51:15 AM by Giftheck
I liked it. Probably a little more after my second viewing. TCW movie is still the worst to me (if you're not counting the Holiday Special). Don't want to delve into spoilers, though I did have some issues with how it was paced, in particular at the beginning and end. They were both fairly abrupt and felt it for different reasons (the opening felt like it was missing setup - which I know it was since I read the leaks and know that there was more to the opening, while the ending didn't give enough breathing time between its resolution and the mandatory 'celebration'). I also totally expected the exact way it would end (since it was basically where it all began).vI must say that I don't buy people's assumption that Rey is trapped there either.

I also feel that there was a huge amount of setup and not enough time to get it done. A lot of it needed Episode 8, and without that, it had to be shoved into Episode 9. The entire trilogy would have benefitted from a solid point-for-point plan and a single director. What worked for the OT isn't going to work twice.

I know some people are incensed by Rey's lineage and also believe Palpatine's return voids Anakin's arc and sacrifice but I don't see it that way. Anakin's whole arc was about how his fear for losing those he loved drove him to the darkness, and how his final act to bring him back to the light was to save the last person he loved. I can't explain about my views on Rey's lineage without going into spoilers, though.

My initial assessment was 6/10 - which is on par with both ROTJ and ROTS for me. But TBH, it edges over ROTJ for me after a second viewing - ROTJ is just too boring up until the Battle of Endor.

Here's my listing:

The Empire Strikes Back 9/10
Rogue One 8/10
A New Hope 8/10
The Force Awakens 7/10
Solo 7/10
Revenge of the Sith 7/10
The Rise of Skywalker 7/10
Return of the Jedi 6/10
The Last Jedi 6/10
The Phantom Menace 5/10
Attack of the Clones 4/10
The Clone Wars (movie, TV series gets good) 3/10
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Ginev on December 22, 2019, 05:17:22 AM
When The Force Awakens come i was so excited.After the failure and the next Eipsode 8 i simply do not care for episode 9.I do not plan to even watch it.I do not even accept thouse 3 new movies for Star Wars...and im a big star wars fan.Just my opinion.

We are on the same team here, my old friend! I'm back to considering Legends canon! lol

Anyway, I rank the movies like this:

1. Empire Strikes Back (10/10)
2. Revenge of the Sith (9/10)
3. Return of the Jedi (9/10)
4. Rogue One (9/10)
5. The Phantom Menace (7/10)
6. A New Hope (7/10)
7. The Force Awakens (6/10)
8. Attack of the Clones (5/10)
9. Rise of Skywalker (5/10)
10. Solo (5/10)
11. The Last Jedi (4/10)
12. The Clone Wars Movie (2/10)

Empire Strikes Back is the best movie, but also the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (dad's fault, he didn't have ANH on video at the time), and possibly my earliest memory ever is of watching that movie. The Battle of Hoth remains my favorite ground battle in the Star Wars continuity. Revenge of the Sith has possibly the best soundtrack and some of the most beautiful moments in Star Wars period. It is also possibly the most quotable and meme-able movie of the lot, which I consider a good thing. Saying "Gooooood Anakin" instead of just "good" is almost a natural way for me to speak these days. Return of the Jedi was the second Star Wars movie I ever saw, so it gets nostalgia bias points. Rogue One had some weaknesses, but it was bold enough to kill all the main protagonists, which is a positive check mark. Also Vader at the end there... Epic. It's the only Disney movie I consider worthy of being counted as Canon.

I seriously don't understand the hate for The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar may be dumb, but you can dismiss his stupidity as him being a half-wit alien. How is it any less cringe-worthy than anything Anakin and Padme say or do in the two subsequent movies? Also, I felt it had a better film quality (film grain ftw) and I liked that they still used more props and sets. A New Hope is great, but I appreciate more for what it did for Star Wars and movies as a whole than what it is in and of itself. The Force Awakens probably deserves less than 6/10, but for a time I did like it a lot, and I feel it was an "okay" start to the new trilogy; the subsequent movies just botched doing anything good with it. Attack of the Clones was one of my least favorite movies for a time, but I've come to appreciate it more in recent years, if for nothing else than realizing that Lucas's creative vision, even if poorly executed, is still greater than anything Disney can think up.

Rise of Skywalker, I will admit, was enjoyable for most of the movie. Then the ending was an absolute joke, which really killed my goodwill toward the film. Also after-the-fact analysis of the movie (aka, the more I think about it) the more dumb and wasted of an opportunity I realize it was. At least C-3PO was funny. Solo was a forgettable movie that had little in the way of great OR terrible moments, just a lot of "meh". I did at least appreciate making the Imperial Army Troopers canon though, and Tobias Beckett was a good character. The Last Jedi had some high points, but it also had some really dumb points, and on the whole, just felt like less than the sum of its parts. It didn't help that I felt like the movie was more for pushing the studio's agendas rather than actually an effort to make a good Star Wars film. The Clone Wars movie might be unanimously the worst movie, but I will at least forgive it for the fact that it was a dumb kids movie, and the TV series it spawned got to be really good by the time it was over.