BF1 Demo Mysteries/Restoration/something

Started by Dark_Phantom, January 09, 2020, 09:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 09, 2020, 09:05:08 AM Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:03:07 AM by Dark_Phantom
I'm not totally sure what the goal of this really is, other than to satisfy my curious nature, so here it goes.
If you've been keeping up with DP's releases, I released two compilations of sounds from the betas back in October:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1520 (PS2, late demo)
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1521 (Xbox, early demo)
and here I posted a video of getting the PS2 demo menus accessible just recently:

Edit: new vid showing GC:

The PS2 is really the only one I can work with as I have no access to an Xbox currently, nor any experience with it.
I have made some other interesting finds that weren't really clear in the video and aren't utilized in the stock game:

• Different campaign screen and VO, but they are still functional
  • Multiplayer GC placeholder (doesn't work right, sends you to a Single Player GC session).  MP settings are not functional (Launch doesn't do anything, yet)
  • Choice of attacker in instant action and GC (instead of just two mission eras, there are 4, which is relevant).
  • Some different localization (Rhen Var: Citidel and Rhen Var: Stronghold)

Example of bullet 3 (Choice of attacker): You are attacking Rhen Var: Harbor in Galactic Conquest as the Empire.  Ok, it's normal, you have an AT-AT, you win.  Later on the Rebels attack Rhen Var in a valiant attempt to recapture it, they are now team 1, and have a hovernaut at their disposal.  This behavior can be replicated in the stock game with a shell\missionlist.lua update and mission.lvl update (OR probably just a quick check to see who is the "official" attacker, untested).

I am able to get a new shell into the demo, kinda.  The file formats are the same so for maps that don't exist, I can drop the final maps ingame. The capabilities are lower (like the AT-AT disappears on Rhen Var because of limits on-screen).  I am fascinated with this demo (although I'd like the Xbox one more, because earlier), even though there are some issues with it.

Questions? Ideas?
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

January 09, 2020, 03:40:06 PM #1 Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:23:50 PM by Giftheck
The fact that the attacker/defender roles were meant to switch dependant on who is attacking and who is in possession of a planet makes sense: certain positions on maps are clearly defender positions (like the aforementioned Rhen Var: Harbor). The fact that this dunctionality can still exist in the final game is promising too.

I'm surprised the final LVL files work practically as-is with this version of the game though the fact the AT-AT disappears on Rhen Var Citadel suggests there was still some code optimization to be done.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I keep bringing up Harbor because it is really one of the only ones to hold onto that functionality. In the BFBuilder assets you can see it is still used as originally intended. I have some ideas to make this more relevant for the PC version, but I keep plugging away at the demo to try to unlock stuff.
I have been watching a lot of videos too, trying to get a feel for the demo maps and whether I have enough to recreate representative sides and maps for ones we see.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.