Rancor And Acklay ported to SWBF 1?

Started by Phobos, December 09, 2009, 04:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: xshat on December 10, 2009, 08:06:51 PM
Already tried your "hackjob" method. Which is why I want to experiment with different classlabel values, which seem to have an effect on the overall shape of the unit. The rancor (locals) do spawn and I gave them a melee attack, however their heads are rotated 90 degrees upwards, their mouth faces the sky. It looks a bit unrealistic, they don't resemble the real rancor since they are reduced to the size of about 2 times the normal soldier height. Also their upper body is hollow and you can jump on it, but it's not so terrible that I'm going to take it out. I would make a video to show you but I don't have any software for that. ggtuck brings up a good point about gammoreans and their "custom" stuff. Perhaps analyzing how the files interact in tat3, specifically animations and skeletons, would give some sort of indication. The problem is when i open zafbins in notepad, I get this
Anyway my question is "how" do i reenvelope the model. I download Bconstructor and milkshape, but I can't figure out how to open and edit mesh files or where I would go from there.
If a SWBF-mod-related file doesn't look right in notepad, use a hexeditor to open it. You won't find anything that helps you out browsing around in it, and if you already tried what I mentioned (did you try exactly what I posted? If you didn't then there's a chance you screwed up creating the actual animations) then that's the closest approximation you're going to get.

If you want to reenvelop the model, you need to import it into XSI, use psych0fred's unit template skeleton, envelop it to that, weight it correctly, and then reexport the model (for which you will need access to a full or trial version of XSI, not just the demo). You will also need to modify the original model before you weight it at all, because it's not going to fit on the standard T-pose of the stock skeleton without any changes.

If you aren't familiar with using XSI, that's going to be a challenge for you. All the resources you need to do this are made available at Gametoast (and possibly this site too, I don't know), but the bottom line is that you'll need to know how to model to make this work.

Because zafbins are already compiled, they cannot be edited. I believe they also hold the skeleton data only.

I think you can only re-envelope the model with XSI?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

but I believe the rancor can be ported to BF1

...it can't. The skeleton structure is different, and without actually using the basepose .msh given to you with the prop model (and compiling a new set of animations), you can't have an animationset that'll work for it. The only thing you can do is reenvelop it to the stock skeleton - which is exactly what I already said.
-Maveritchell

Isn't there a rancor model in BF in Jabba's palace from the 1.3 (I think) upgrade, so why port it from BF2?
Legos, the greatest toy known to man

Quotes from the battlefield.

"FOR THE REPUBLIC!", "Bu-bye!" - Clone Trooper

"Bang", "We need more troopers like you!"- Stormtrooper

"Failure is NOT an option. Fight HARDER!" - I made him mad (=9)

Quote from: CommanderChristian on January 14, 2010, 02:58:27 PMIsn't there a rancor model in BF in Jabba's palace from the 1.3 (I think) upgrade, so why port it from BF2?
The model isn't the problem, yes, there is a prop version of the model with prop animations in the extra Jabba's Palace map assets. What the original poster wanted was the model as a unit model, which requires many more animations than the stock prop, which only has about two or three.

Well, I am not sure BF2 unit anim files are compatible with BF1. I've tried using standard, conventional names for replacing animations, skeletons, and they just crash the game upon load.

Bottom line, I think unless you re-export the animations as BF1-compatible, it ain't gonna work. Sorry.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk on January 15, 2010, 02:08:45 PMBottom line, I think unless you re-export the animations as BF1-compatible, it ain't gonna work. Sorry.
You don't have to re-export any animations. If you want to do it the hackjob way, I posted how to and the files you would need (made with the BF1 assets) the previous page. If I were to give one of you my reexported SWBF2 rancor, it would work fine for SWBF1, since it's enveloped to the same skeleton used in both games.

January 16, 2010, 09:57:06 AM #21 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:59:47 AM by ggctuk
What I mean is, I tried getting other units to work, such as Yoda, and all I wanted was the skeleton. It doesn't seem to work, because it just crashes upon load (which might suggest it can't find what it's looking for?). All I had in the 'animationset' was the basepose. Considering the unit works with the stock basepose, and the Ewok basepose, perhaps it's something specific to BF2's animation .msh files.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk on January 16, 2010, 09:57:06 AM
What I mean is, I tried getting other units to work, such as Yoda
I don't see what that has to do with this. If you're saying that the hackjob solution I posted won't work because SWBF1 can only use two distinct baseposes then super - have you actually tried what I posted? I am not confident that anyone trying it has properly set up the animations.

In any case, whether that works or not, as I've said since the first page of this topic, you really want a reexported rancor playermesh (which has nothing to do with reexporting animations). Then it can use stock unit animations.