Discovery about Capture/Control regions

Started by Idren, March 09, 2017, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
In attempting to figure out how to allow for vehicles to spawn outside a base's control region, I've figured out (using the stock Bespin: Platforms map), that for any CP, the CAPTURE region is the region that defines where units must stand to both take AND keep a base - and the CONTROL region is the region that defines the "area" that the base controls - i.e. where the vehicles can spawn and not explode if left alone.  So if you need vehicles to spawn over a large area, just make that control region huge - and you don't have to worry about that base being really hard to capture.

In the various tutorials on adding bases/vehicles and the regions concerning them, it is (unintentionally) made to seem like the control region is for where units need to stand in order to keep a base under their control.

I'm fairly certain that probably everybody already knows about this, and it's only new to me :slap: but if not, then I'm glad to have helped somebody out! :)

Quote from: Idren on March 09, 2017, 10:53:08 AM
In attempting to figure out how to allow for vehicles to spawn outside a base's control region, I've figured out (using the stock Bespin: Platforms map), that for any CP, the CAPTURE region is the region that defines where units must stand to both take AND keep a base - and the CONTROL region is the region that defines the "area" that the base controls - i.e. where the vehicles can spawn and not explode if left alone.  So if you need vehicles to spawn over a large area, just make that control region huge - and you don't have to worry about that base being really hard to capture.

In the various tutorials on adding bases/vehicles and the regions concerning them, it is (unintentionally) made to seem like the control region is for where units need to stand in order to keep a base under their control.

I'm fairly certain that probably everybody already knows about this, and it's only new to me :slap: but if not, then I'm glad to have helped somebody out! :)
Yeah this also confused me when I first started modding. Basically CAPTURE regions define the CP zone and CONTROL regions are used for vehicles. ControlRegions are used for placing com_inf_vehiclespawn which defines vehicle properties such as factions and respawn timer. All the stock game vehicles are set up like this. I think it's also possible in ZeroEditor to use region groups to have several smaller regions for vehicle respawns assigned to a specific CP.

However for modders who want a vehicle to only spawn once, you would place the vehicle ODF in the map directly instead of using com_inf_vehiclespawn. Vehicles that don't respawn don't have to be placed in a controlregion, these can go anywhere on the map, and by default are not assigned to any teams. I think the WLD file can be edited in notepad++ to assign team ownership if needed.