ZeroEdit Runtime Error! crash on startup

Started by Idren, February 14, 2017, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 14, 2017, 12:55:53 PM Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:06:01 PM by Idren
To begin, I've already looked through every topic brought up by the search: "ZeroEditor"
The Error:
|                                                                                                        |
|     Program: C:\LucasArts\BFBuilder\DataTat4\zeroeditor.exe               |
|     (also tried at "C:\BFBuilder\DataTat4\zeroeditor.exe)                       |
|                                                                                                       |
|     This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an       |
|     unusual way.                                                                              |
|     Please contact the application's support team for more information. |
|                                                                     _______________       |
|                                                                    |         OK           |       |
|                                                                    |______________|       |
|___________________________________________________________|

I'm running Windows 10 Home edition, (OS Build 14393.693)
No graphics card - just integrated graphics w/an intel i7 processor

My attempts to fix so far:
1) ZeroEditor.exe has permission to Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write.
2) ZeroEditor.exe has the box checked to "Run this program as an administrator"
3) It's the Updated version of ZeroEditor (the Jan 2005 one) and has the boundary fix installed.

4) I have also tried to run it in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Windows XP (Service Pack 3), and even Windows 98/ Windows Me

5) my config.ini file has the "handleException = 1" line (I've switched it back and forth between 1 and 0 for every configuration attempt).

6) I downloaded the 3DAnalyzer and forced SoftwareTnL.

7) Reboot

Things I haven't done: (that apparently can cause crashes)
1) Modified anything to do with Sky
2) Done anything with Boundaries

Order of Events:
This morning, I was able to use ZeroEditor just fine! I haven't done any editing (or even touching) of boundaries yet even though I have the fix installed, just moved a couple objects around and raised some terrain.  All was working fine and I moved on to some (imported) SIDE edits. I did a bunch of localization stuff - renaming sides, all the first/last names for the rebels, renaming alliance/imperial troop types & weapons (all works fine),  I messed around with some of my ODFs (all_weap_inf_rifle, all_weap_inf_bowcaster, imp_weap_inf_rifle) and their respective ords. Then I cleaned/munged, started up SPTest to check out my edits (repeat odf/sptests several times) then decided to grab some camera shots of the level in SPTest.  Realized my SPTest was never putting out a log - so I gave it "Read & execute, Read, and Write" permissions. - then created my camera shots, put them in my .lua files, ran SPTest again and everything went well.
     (I also tried using the common.lvl builder in there at some point but couldn't get a specific edit working (not sure where to put the common.lvl file after creating it) (I also have an edited msh (com_icon_imperial) in the DataTat4\Common\MSHs folder - but ZE was still working after that edit.))

Then I decided to go into ZeroEditor again to start doing some AI Planning, and now I'm getting the Runtime Error every time I start up.

I've tried running ZeroEditor for all my maps, and it's the same thing every time.
I've even restarted the computer to just reset everything, and still no luck.

I'm not sure what happened to cause it to crash/stop working (one thing I remember that this morning, ZE had the little "administrator" icon on it, and now it doesn't - even though it's set to run as administrator.)

I'm really hoping someone knows what I can do/try to get this working.  I find it odd that it has been working fine the past week or so, and just midday today stopped being able to start.

Any ideas? (Thanks for reading)

::EDIT:: It's FIXED!!  :cheer: All I did was go back into ZeroEditor.exe's properties then compatibility - set it to not run in compatibility mode for anything, and set it to NOT be run as an administrator.  Then tried running it by Right-Clicking on it and then running it as an administrator... I have no idea why that worked (especially since it wasn't working that way before.  But I'm glad it's working atm!

Sorry for such a quick post/self-fix - but maybe it'll be helpful to somebody.

Thanks for the update.  This has been a really bad problem for everyone.  Perhaps your fix will work for others.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet